Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

leanit

• Member Contributer

Hello All,

First post and since joining yesterday, I've been reading like crazy. This is a good sight and I have not seen to much slammin' or complaining like a few other forums I have been to. Here's the deal. I'm 45 and have been riding since 1980, first bike was a Honda CB450 and that's just one of many. I currently ride a 2003-919 which I love. My problem is that I am about to buy a new bike and I am torn between two loves. I lkie the 2008 Triumph Sprint ST in blue but I equally like the RWB 2007 that my dealer has with white powder coated wheels. Believe me, why Honda didn't do this is just beyond me. It makes the bike look so different and 50 lbs. lighter. Ha!

The Triumph can be bouht for 11,500.00 and the Honda for 10,250.00 and those are out the door prices. So gang, help me make a right choice since this may be the last new bike I buy for 5-10 yrs. To give you a little more info, my wife likes to ride too (hates a back pack) and I don't know how good the VFR or Sprint will be on 300 mile day would be from her stand point. One other deal breaker...Triumph dealer is 30 miles away, Honda dealer is 1 mile from my house.

Thanks for your help, JD :biggrin:

Hey, Welcome aboard! :unsure:

Your observations are correct sir, you just happened upon the best site on the net! It sounds like you've already made up your mind, but if it helps, I say get the VFR! :biggrin:

The only plus in your situation, in my opinion, for the Sprint would be the extra grunt from the bigger motor for hauling your wife and supplies with you, but I have to say that the VFR is more than capable in that regard also. The VFR is a great reliable machine and will easily last you the 5-10 years you're considering.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer
Hello All,

First post and since joining yesterday, I've been reading like crazy. This is a good sight and I have not seen to much slammin' or complaining like a few other forums I have been to. Here's the deal. I'm 45 and have been riding since 1980, first bike was a Honda CB450 and that's just one of many. I currently ride a 2003-919 which I love. My problem is that I am about to buy a new bike and I am torn between two loves. I lkie the 2008 Triumph Sprint ST in blue but I equally like the RWB 2007 that my dealer has with white powder coated wheels. Believe me, why Honda didn't do this is just beyond me. It makes the bike look so different and 50 lbs. lighter. Ha!

The Triumph can be bouht for 11,500.00 and the Honda for 10,250.00 and those are out the door prices. So gang, help me make a right choice since this may be the last new bike I buy for 5-10 yrs. To give you a little more info, my wife likes to ride too (hates a back pack) and I don't know how good the VFR or Sprint will be on 300 mile day would be from her stand point. One other deal breaker...Triumph dealer is 30 miles away, Honda dealer is 1 mile from my house.

welcome! if you are referring to riding two up, take wife to both bikes and sit on bikes together. self evident! VFR!

• Member Contributer

I second the vote for the VFR only for the reason you said your wife will be riding with you. From what I've read the tail section on the Triumph is hotter for passengers than the VFR.

If it were just me I would think hard on the Triumph. But probably get the Beautiful RWB VFR.

vince

I looked at both in '07. The Triumph Caspian Blue is gorgeous and so is the Honda Tri-color. I finally decided on the VFR. For me, the decision came down to reliability ("it's a Honda") and dealer network. I just felt that if worse came to worse and I had a breakdown on a trip, it would be easier to find a Honda dealership than one for Triumph. I also read that some of the ST's had cold start issues with the ECU. Not sure if that's been fixed or if it was really a common issue at all. Of course the VFR's have had a long history of electrical issues, culminating in the 2002-2005 wiring harness recall. The 2006+ models have an upgraded harness which will supposedly put an end to the problem. My '07 RWB has been a joy. No dealer experiences to report - I do all my own service (so far).

• Member Contributer
I looked at both in '07. The Triumph Caspian Blue is gorgeous and so is the Honda Tri-color. I finally decided on the VFR. For me, the decision came down to reliability ("it's a Honda") and dealer network. I just felt that if worse came to worse and I had a breakdown on a trip, it would be easier to find a Honda dealership than one for Triumph. I also read that some of the ST's had cold start issues with the ECU. Not sure if that's been fixed or if it was really a common issue at all. Of course the VFR's have had a long history of electrical issues, culminating in the 2002-2005 wiring harness recall. The 2006+ models have an upgraded harness which will supposedly put an end to the problem. My '07 RWB has been a joy. No dealer experiences to report - I do all my own service (so far).

Thanks to all for the input. I wish I could attach a photo of the VFR RWB with white wheels but I have not figured out how to do this. If I do, I believe many RWB owners will be powder coating this winter. JD

Thanks to all for the input. I wish I could attach a photo of the VFR RWB with white wheels but I have not figured out how to do this. If I do, I believe many RWB owners will be powder coating this winter. JD

here go

gallery_5822_3570_3432.jpg

• Member Contributer

Dam where's googus when you need him. Greg just sold his Sprint. It was in the shop more than it was under his ass.He's riding a sporty 'lil' Blackbird. I would of course tell you that the only real bike to buy is the RWB VFR. Not that I'm bias or anything like that. :biggrin: Check your dealer support if you go with the Triumph.There's a Honda shop about every 50 square miles or so. I now he did mention the body work was a major concern...loosing parts,cracking stuff like that.gallery_13129_3632_110920.jpg

DSC01891.JPG

Hello All,

White wheels, after I ride theres usually 1,5 inch of dirt in the wheels, white would look bad all the time>G< I have a black bike with grey wheels, but it should have came with those black ones off the anniverasry editon. >G<

The st sprint I hear will roast your Go Nads off, the vfr (atleast mine) I find very tolerant, and I came off a bike that produces no heat, but vfr produces just enough heat to keep you (go nads) warm in the winter.

• Member Contributer

I know what I'd get, but i'm a little biased. Tough choice, the sprint has more torque, but the VFR is such a great all around bike! Especially the RWB. I would think hard about the cheaper price, but then again I'm cheap.

• Member Contributer

Ladies and Gentlemen...that is it. Very sweet!!! Yep, that pic kinda makes me see it as the ONE! One question though, 600 mile service...what does that normally run and I know that is dealer/area based? The Sprint IS 246.00 plus tax.

They don't do anything special for the 600 mile service, they check torque on all major fasteners, change the oil, make sure nothing's gone wrong so far, etc.

They do however(or are supposed to) re-torque the head bearings, which requires a special tool either be bought from Honda or made from a certain size socket. If you're not up to doing that, I'd take it in. On the other hand, you can buy a service manual, a torque wrench, and the special socket or maybe even the Honda tool for less than the cost of the service... and you'll know for sure it's been done, and done right.

• Member Contributer

Both are very good bikes. I have a 2003 model with 28,000 miles and it has never given me one moments trouble.

The only negative I had about my bike was that stock seat sucked. Fixed that with a Sargent seat.

If you plan on keeping the next bike you buy for a long time then the Honda would definately be the better choice. The VFR is buit to last. Guy who lives not too far from me bought one in 2002. He kept up the scheduled maintenance, but was otherwise pretty hard on his bike. It was always pretty filthy. In five years time he put 105,000 miles on the bike and never opened up the motor except for the valve adjustment inspection. Traded it in to the dealership where he bought it and they sold it for 3000 dolars.

Copy and pasting this review I did on the Sprint ST after Demoing one at work for nearly a week:

Pro's

- I like the low end torque.

- Bike shifts really really smooth and the clutch is easy to get use to.

- I like the unique sounding exhaust, although the only exhaust option you have is the Sprint performance exhaust.

-Love the MPG display on the dash.

-Bags are mounted a little higher than the VFR's giving you more ground clearance.... which is a perk for me :P , plus the bags come with the bike instead of being another $1000 purchase... although your still paying for them in the long run.

Con's

-The heat off that motor is enough to turn me away from it with nothing else a factor... its ridiculous.

-Brakes are a lot harder to pull in with a lot less braking occurring, they aren't squishy... just really stiff.

-Leg riding position is a lot more sporty than most sporty sport touring bikes I've ridden.

-Bags are smaller than VFR's

-Small rpm range.... you hit idle to rev limiter in a heartbeat... yes it does accelerate well but it still seems like you have a full time job shifting, similar to you SV owners out there.

Overall: Was a fun demo bike just to get a feel but I unless there are no more VFR's in the world, the Sprint ST will never be an equal replacement for me.

• Member Contributer
Both are very good bikes. I have a 2003 model with 28,000 miles and it has never given me one moments trouble.

The only negative I had about my bike was that stock seat sucked. Fixed that with a Sargent seat.

If you plan on keeping the next bike you buy for a long time then the Honda would definately be the better choice. The VFR is buit to last. Guy who lives not too far from me bought one in 2002. He kept up the scheduled maintenance, but was otherwise pretty hard on his bike. It was always pretty filthy. In five years time he put 105,000 miles on the bike and never opened up the motor except for the valve adjustment inspection. Traded it in to the dealership where he bought it and they sold it for 3000 dolars.

A really good post with a ton of facts and so far, that seems to be the norm from all who have answered. What is amazing is that not one of you really slammed the ST yet this is VFRD. Today I emailed photos of the ones you all have posted to some folks at work. One lady rides a dresser Harley like her husband's, another guy rides a Suzuki M109 and the last one rides a Suzuki CT50-tourer. The guy with the M109 use to be my department manager and has owed a VFR, RF900 and Kawasaki ZX-11 (I have also owned a RF900 and ZX-11); so we see eye-to-eye most of the time. Yet today he blasted me. "A VFR is pretty but has no steam. Man, you need a ZX-14 or Busa!" I explained that there wasn't a Kaw or Suz dealer in my town and he said "but for nearly the same money...come on." I don't think he gets it. That is as simple a statement as I can think of. Burn outs, chirpping 2nd/3rd gears is not my style. Smooth shifts, making the perfect apex and powering out of tight corners is what brings a smile to my face. The VFR may not be the best looking bike out there but damn, that ZX-14 is like comparing Marylin Monroe to Herman Munster.

If all goes as planned, I wil pick up the VFR tomorrow afternoon. Here's to another person joining the fold!!! JD :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

White wheels rule... if you are up for cleaning them. I use to be but now I'm a black wheel kind of guy.

Let the dealer think that you are undecided and let him kick a couple more bucks off of the price. Then ride it home, take some pics and post them here!

Good luck.

• Member Contributer
:beer:

By riding my 919 most of the time, the wheels should not be too bad. A friend of mine owned a F2 many years ago. It was the RWB that looked like Mich Doohan's(sp) GP bike. He said that by leaving a very light coat of dried wax on the wheels, they cleaned up nicely. Will do on the pictures but it may be Wed. before I post them. Thanks, JD

PS - price wise, that is how we got such a good price; my wife and I did the 'good cop/bad cop routine.' Yeah, I hated the white wheels and she loved them.

• Member Contributer

"A VFR is pretty, but has no steam"

Sounds like someone has never ridden one.

I've had some pretty fast bikes in my day and my current CBR1000RR puts down around 160 to the wheel, but I gotta say I was just out on the VFR for a ride yesterday thinking "this damn thing goes pretty good".

If you think the VFR is slow when you're out on the backroads, you don't need a faster bike, you need to become a better rider. The VFR is plenty fast for the street and sounds pretty freaking awesome at 12,000 rpms too!

• Member Contributer

:fing02: :fing02:

"A VFR is pretty, but has no steam"

Sounds like someone has never ridden one.

I've had some pretty fast bikes in my day and my current CBR1000RR puts down around 160 to the wheel, but I gotta say I was just out on the VFR for a ride yesterday thinking "this damn thing goes pretty good".

If you think the VFR is slow when you're out on the backroads, you don't need a faster bike, you need to become a better rider. The VFR is plenty fast for the street and sounds pretty freaking awesome at 12,000 rpms too!

Well gang, it's a done deal. A 25th RWB is sitting next to my 919 right now. I picked it up at 6:05pm at Stroud Honda in Winston-Salem, NC. My wife followed me home and with the first 55 miles behind me, I believe we're in for a long relationship. As far as "steam" goes, I will wait until after the break in period is over and find out what she can do. Please reread my comment; I quoted a co-worker who had owned some pretty strong bikes. Nearly every bike I'ved owned will eat this bike's lunch and even on a "back road." But hey, I told my co-worker at work today...'a Ferrai is faster than a Bently but which one would you drive to your High School Reunion?' The VFR is a polished gem and I would drive it to my reunion. Man, what a sharp bike! Kinda reminds me of my RF900 with a touch of my 2000 TLR's sound with stock pipes but what no magazine has wrote about is the fact it has a ton of character. The VFR has history and a pedigree. Now if one of you polite folks can tell me how to post pictures, you can check her out. Thanks!

ps - if you are going to buy a Honda, Call Jason @ Stroud and you'll save a ton of money to!

• Member Contributer

CONGRATS on getting a GREAT bike,, just tuned 28000 miles on my RWB, NO maintenance other than oil and tires, oh yeah, and a K&N air filter :fing02:

Archived