• the sporting side
    • the touring side
    • the paint scheme
    • the racing heritage
    • the low emission engine
    • the oem luggage
    • the fuel economy
    • Other!

I was between the VFR and the FZ1, in the end it came down to fuel injection, and the V4 arrangment, coming from a big twin cruiser I really wanted to stay with a Vtwin or the V4 in this case!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

I'm sure it's been posted already, but the those gear driven cams and the single sided swingarm.

I've been riding vintage bikes for a while and I wanted something bigger, that I could take on trips. The sportbikes are too 'bro-ish' and the cruisers are too 'old man-ish'. The VFR was just right.

We had race cars growing up and those cam gear whines on these bikes sound like a blower. I love it.

• Member Contributer

Like many others, I started out many years ago with a VF500F Interceptor. I loved that bike and put what seemed like a million miles on it. Over the years I rode a 500 and 600 Ninja, a 750 Katana, an FZR 600, but always missed the Honda. None of these bikes ever felt like the old Interceptor. I finally came back "home". :rolleyes:

OK, I finally added mine answer too as none of the Poll Options fitted my answer. Several add to it's purpose for me now though like:

SSSA, V4, under tail exhaust, Sporting side, etc.

Why a VFR? For me it kind of started as dump luck! When I re-entered m/c riding in 99 I was buying lots of Ins. Auction autos and then my partners 20 something sons started buying some of the bikes and I thought "yeah I should get a bike again". :smile:

Now I do NOT like to "follow the crowd" so buying a GSXRR1CBRNINJA in line 4 thingamajig's wasn't what I was looking for!

Blam, what shows up was a decent 93 Pearl White VFR w/less than 10k miles on it. $1400 later I was riding again.

Of course I didn't know how to ride yet as my past life was as a straight line squid! I put 5-6k on the bike while learning how to corner, then one day a guy let me swap with him. He had a 99 VFR, man was that sweet and felt twice the bike of the 93 with what seemed like better power, handling, brakes and it felt lighter too. I had to have one! Within a month or two a Killed and Totaled 00 came up with only 1420 miles on it, Salvage title and all I bought it for $800.

Spent close to $3k for wheels, bodywork, etc. and eventually SSSA then rode the piss out of it for about 10k miles. One of the things I liked about this 00 was it wasn't Red like every other damn VFR out there! :ph34r:

Found VFRD that year also and the rest was history, well at least until early 02 when a 02 Vtec came up with only 200 miles on it.

$600 later I was a changed man(after another couple grand of repairs anyway).

After 2 years on the 00 I was quicker, more confident and happier on my very first ride on the Vtec.

Nine years & 90,000 miles of twisties later on a mostly stock vtec(other than suspension) I'm still in love! :tour:

I did have another problem though, my 02 was the same color as every other VFR again, RED! :ohmy: So I painted it Silver, of course Honda was watching me and comes out with Silver in 03! :pissed: So of course I paint it Black! Then what happens in 04, Honda at it again and comes out with flat Black! :huh: Well at least my black was shinny and I was happy till 06 when they finally come out with that Bass Boat Black paint job. :sad: I gave up and just rode, worked out after all as I finally know how to turn pretty decent now! :bliss:

BR

PS I added "OTHER" as an option to the poll as No single answer comes close to Why!

A guy used to pass going in the opposite direction every day,he always looked

Totally unflustered and very fast,no matter what the weather,while i struggled

With my ancient gpz500.

The seed was sewn

Had my red 97 750 for 13 yrs and 90000 miles

Toyed with the idea of gettin something else, but.........

Still love it and it still does everything

• Member Contributer

I'd have to choose "all of the above". In my case it was also pure (smart) luck. I was looking for "a motorcycle". Local want ads brought several choices over several weeks. When an '01 VFR showed up, I did a little research (Motorcycle.com mostly) and came across "Living With a VFR". I was looking for a bike that would take me long distances, allow fun while getting there and once there even more fun. VFR filled the bill in every respect. It seemed like the perfect solution; it was all of that and more. The best transportation and entertainment decision I ever made. And now I have two!

Like Aerostich says "So many roads - so little time". I have amend that with "and such a fabulous machine to do it with"

I chose it for the best of both worlds. Sports and touring ability, and not to mention reliability!! My instructor stopped on several occasions at my local Honda dealership during my lessons, the VFR's on display for sale just kept jumping out at me.... :smile:

recco from a buddy who's been riding most of his life (that would be 35+ years) coupled with the distant memory of a friend's '94. This fall I started nosing around and found a handsome '94 complete with Givi cases. I have always loved the stock exhaust, right out of the box sound. Really no need to mess with it. After a couple of rides and thinking, 'Do this' and the bike just doing it, I've decided me and that VFR are going to have a lot of fun together.

I decided on a VFR before I ever even saw one up close. I wanted a do it all bike and I discarded all prior knowledge and biases, and kept coming back to VFR. It is funny how by using logic and sense I ended up with a bike that I am emotionally attached to. There isnt anything that can come close to offering what a VFR does.

Plus, I had some left over flat black paint.

017-1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I decided on a VFR before I ever even saw one up close. I wanted a do it all bike and I discarded all prior knowledge and biases, and kept coming back to VFR. It is funny how by using logic and sense I ended up with a bike that I am emotionally attached to. There isnt anything that can come close to offering what a VFR does.

Plus, I had some left over flat black paint.

017-1.jpg

But its in the FOR SALE SECTION????

whatcha gonna get next?

• Member Contributer

Well I really wanted an FJR or a BMW R1100S or R1100RS. At the time, Yamaha was still doing the priority buying program...my brother bought his FJR in March of 2002 and had to wait until December of that year to get it. So, since I didn't want to wait on my new bike once I had paid for it thereby missing out on the riding season (bought in cash). And then I was also concerned that the nearest BMW dealer was over 100 miles away from my home and my local trusted shop wouldn't do services on a BMW. I settled for the next best thing...a 2004 VFR with bags. Honda quality, reliability, and the availability of dealers everywhere in the country were other factors. I made a great choice because my bike has been 100% flawless in over 25,000 miles and has done anything and everything I have asked of it. It really is a great bike. No complaints.

Archived