• the touring side
    • the paint scheme
    • the racing heritage
    • the low emission engine
    • the oem luggage
    • the fuel economy
    • Other!

• Member Contributer

I knew I wanted something that would perform. I did not like Hondas at all. But I did like the look of the single sided swingarm.

I knew I was going to get a Yamaha FJR1300. I had read all about them and I was sold.But wait...I kept looking at that swingarm and I knew I was too old for an I-4. I wanted some comfort and sportiness. Then I had an opportunity to test ride both bike one day apart . The VFR was first and it was so smooth and comfortable and the sound well need I say more. Next day I rode the FJR1300. I had to beg the dealer manager to let me ride it and he did. I took off for a short ride , maybe 45 minutes. Everything ever writen about the FJR is true. When they say it is HOT they were on target. It was the hottest thing I was ever on.Except for this chick in my dreams...wait a minute ...OK back to the story. I could not get off that oven quick enough, and it wasn't as comfortable as the VFR.

It wasn't until the RWB was shown that I said OK next spring I'm going to get that bike. Then I learned about the history and I love the look, sound , style, all around abilities this bike has to offer and I can't think of a time now that I wouldn't have a VFR.

Best Bike Money Can Buy.

PS....If you don't believe me go to YouTube and Search..Hitler got the wrong bike

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pity you cant choose more than one answer for a poll....though i may not have the option of choosing the vfr for the SSSA (since 1st gens dont have them), the gear driven V4 is by far the coolest thing about this bike, followed closely by the uniqueness of having that mid-80's sportbike (they werent even sport touring bikes till 1990).....its really a fun machine.

I was tired of riding my cruiser. The comfort just wasn't there due to some personal physical issues. I started looking for an upright touring bike that was still relatively sporty. I know of a guy who rides a VFR in Chicago, and he was willing to sell me his at a damn good price, but at the time I just couldn't afford it. I loved the looks of the bike, so I started doing some research. I've never been a fan of VTEC anything, so I ruled those out, then stumbled across the 98 that I wound up getting. Between the characteristics of the motor, the gear whine, the position, and the power, it's perfect. Enough power to have fun, but not so much that things get stupid before you want them to. Never cared for the supersports, I need some comfort in my ride. I've had the VFR for about 2 months now, and I've put almost 5,000 miles on it, I just love riding the thing.

Didn't know I could pick more than one.... Never said I was intelligent, but I know what I like in a bike! :fing02: So, I picked the SSSA. That's what brought the bike to my attention years ago. And I had always lusted after it, for many years. When I divorced, I decided it was time to treat myself, so I started looking and I found my 02 wanting to be loved. The original owner had abandoned it when he moved, so boy was it eager to please! :fing02: I have been riding it every possible moment ever since! I love the engine and have always been a fan of the VTEC. Had a Civic SI, whoo!, and a Acura TL and the rush of power, although different has the same whoop ass kick that my VFR has. My wife laughs and/or screams everytime it kicks in. So much so that she's now getting VTEC for her next ride, an 08 MDX. Whoop, whoop! :491:

• Member Contributer

I still remember the day, in 1985(6) when the original VFR 750 was introduced. I wanted one so bad. For years I watched as there were two in my area

and just loved it when they went by. One guy picked up an '87 in white and slapped a Supertrapp on it. Woooo the sound!! I knew one day it would be

mine. Even remember finding an '86 in a crate in the early '90's but opted to go to college instead (actually, was talked into it by my then boss).

Then, as the years went by, the SSSA appeared - my heart jumped. In 2002 the re-vamping: boo-hoo for the gear driven cams gone but oh ya! for the under

tail exhaust. Finally, set the wallpaper on my computer, started a side account and started dropping $$ there instead of other non-essentials.

Fall of 2005 I secured my bike. Why?

The comfort. The V4. The heritage. And later I would seriously come to realize, it's a different kind of person who rides them. We are a cult. We are VFRD!

• Member Contributer

I wasn't able to vote. I chose the VFR because of it's reputation as the best all around motorcycle on the planet year after year.

The VFR still holds up extremely well, too. BMW was doing test rides of the F800ST at Sportbike NW last weekend. I don't know what journalists who compare it to a VFR are smoking, or if they're being paid under the table to say nice things about the new kid on the block, but the Beemer is vibey and coarse, the frame welds look like they were done by a 7th grade shop student, and the rear passenger pegs are hideous and can't be removed.

Still, time for Honda to quit resting on its laurels.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a buddy in High School who bought a new Interceptor 500. Ever since then I wanted a Motorcycle..I came real close a few times, one was a 93 VFR750. I was told by my Parents, stil living at home. "hope it comes with a bed..." Pretty much killed the buying a motorcycle...Move ahead to present...I decided at 40 I would buy a motorcycle, either a BMW R1100S or a VFR of some type. I was looking for the right bike for six months but none seemed to put me into the "buy it now" mode...I was hanging out here, VFRD...Looking through the classifieds and saw the bike I bought... The "buy it now" kicked in and I bought it! It has everything on it I wanted, minus some bags.

I just think the 6th gen bikes are sexy, no matter the color :fing02: they all look just right! Undertail exhaust, Single sided swing arm, nice body, available with abs.

I love my new to me VFR! Can't see getting another bike for a long time.

I'd had an '89 Honda Hawk GT650 for about 2 years that I really got into once I got onto the Hawk GT Forum. Within a month I had rearsets, clipons, braided brake lines, you name it - all making their way to my house. I rode the piss out of that bike - which was fun as hell to do! :fing02: It's size, though, was an issue for me as I'm 6'3" and about 275 lbs. I started looking at the VFR a year into it, and in fact, had made a deal with a guy on the Hawk site to straight up trade his '94 VFR750 for my 89 Hawk. Bu then he dissappeared.... hmmmm... :comp13: was going to go meet him half way, trade and sign and be on our merry way.... Anyway, finally, one day, the Hawk got snuffed by a Goldwing with Windjammer plastics (aka fork-benders). Well, the insurance took good care of me - actually sent a guy who knew Hawks, and I found someone parting with my (now) 97 VFR750. I'd wanted my 4th gen because -

Looks... to me, best looking year. Period.

SSSA - duh - no brainer - soooo much easier to change the wheel out; oh yeah, it looks cool as hell too :idea3:

Gear Driven V4 - hell yeah, I loved the tone of my Hawk's 650 v-twin, and this one's just twice as nice!

Comfort

Touring

Sport riding...

Red - just like my Hawk..

Honda reliability

Uniquity among so many cycles out there

I haven't found a thing to gripe about since I've owned it.

Perfect.

• Member Contributer

Mine came to me while in flight, back in January 2002.

There was a cover shot of the VFRs rearside, and a 3-4 page spread about the NeW VFR this upcoming (allready arrived year)... Thats what did it!

I had sat on one of them 5th gen models in one of those stores in Seattle, and from that there experience, I had went on to decide, and purchased a new dual sport 4 stroke (mountains were 20 minutes in each direction around me from where I was living) at that time. I dismissed the trail-worthy 4stroke eventually, because military service was ending for me soon. And, I just knew that the streets was where my grounds needed to be..

After being catapolted from the A/C carrier (on my way home from the 911 Emergency), I finally was put on a real plane. Prior to boarding, I picked up that magazine! The one with it on the cover. Also, including one particular shot of a rider looking at ya through his windscreen saying: "This my Friend, its yours!". I knew it then and there! I did not waist no time (other than the 6 or 7 stops in other countries for new passenger pick-up, and multiple bottles of Duty Free Liqour to be later mixed with DR. PiB cola... 4 days later I landed in W. Virginia, with a mission, a mission to get that bike of mine!

Took one day. I was in the Cleveland Akron Honda store in OH during that week of their sales! (lucky me) Purchased the 6th gen VTEC with abs for the price of same VFR minus the abs. That lower model was also 1 thousand below cost too though. So, a tough decision on wether Id sacrafice added safet for a grand cheaper of what is otherwise the same bike? NNAaaHhh, Take advantage, right?

Paid for it, sat on it, layed it down to the left side to rest on its kickstand (except the kickstand was up still throuout the gracefull movement). New 6th gen knocks over a case of meticulously displayed oakley sunglasses (all went flying). VFR laying on its side (atop of carpet), and me standing there with the help of 3 others to get it back upright! A mean gu/employer got in my face saying that I MUST now by that bike I destroyed (hardley). I immediately called him an asshole (bad me...should have not done that..I know better), because that WAS allready my bike, bank approved, with papers signed previouse to the incident. $500 more deducted by manager for said employees behavior, whilst he not tried to right the bike up with me (the customer -dumb yeah - irregardless - the costumer who owned that newly purchased bike laying there on the floor)...

I guess thats my story? Rode 100 miles home that day without insurance. Parked it in the garage to look at and shine it up real good! Got the insurance, and been ridding the VFR ever since!

ote name='SEBSPEED' date='Aug 9 2008, 10:57 PM' post='537326']

Oops, I chose a few reasons...

At the time I didn't realize Honda was still making VFRs until one day I got a new issue of Cycle World (January 2002, the "New for '02" issue). In the middle of the front cover amongst a bunch of other bikes was a rear 3/4 shot of the new VTEC model Interceptor and my eyes bugged out of my head, I vowed to have one! When my finances and insurance company allowed, I finally got my wish in February '06 with a brand new Winning Red 2005 model(lucky me, I got the faster red color and a better bike without most of the early problems too!). I wouldn't trade it for the world except maybe for a brand new one just like it!!!

Didn't know I could pick more than one.... Never said I was intelligent, but I know what I like in a bike! :comp13: So, I picked the SSSA. That's what brought the bike to my attention years ago. And I had always lusted after it, for many years. When I divorced, I decided it was time to treat myself, so I started looking and I found my 02 wanting to be loved. The original owner had abandoned it when he moved, so boy was it eager to please! :idea3: I have been riding it every possible moment ever since! I love the engine and have always been a fan of the VTEC. Had a Civic SI, whoo!, and a Acura TL and the rush of power, although different has the same whoop ass kick that my VFR has. My wife laughs and/or screams everytime it kicks in. So much so that she's now getting VTEC for her next ride, an 08 MDX. Whoop, whoop! :fing02:
I still remember the day, in 1985(6) when the original VFR 750 was introduced. I wanted one so bad. For years I watched as there were two in my area

and just loved it when they went by. One guy picked up an '87 in white and slapped a Supertrapp on it. Woooo the sound!! I knew one day it would be

mine. Even remember finding an '86 in a crate in the early '90's but opted to go to college instead (actually, was talked into it by my then boss).

Then, as the years went by, the SSSA appeared - my heart jumped. In 2002 the re-vamping: boo-hoo for the gear driven cams gone but oh ya! for the under

tail exhaust. Finally, set the wallpaper on my computer, started a side account and started dropping $$ there instead of other non-essentials.

Fall of 2005 I secured my bike. Why?

The comfort. The V4. The heritage. And later I would seriously come to realize, it's a different kind of person who rides them. We are a cult. We are VFRD!

Just started riding mine again... Took some time off It is still as fun as day ONE!

I previously owned a Kawasaki EX500, which was way too small for me. There were a few models I wanted to see at the 2005 Chicago motorcycle show: VFR, Kawasaki ZZ1200R, Triumph Sprint, and BMW someting or other.

All the bikes were really nice, but the VFR just had a physical prescence(sp?) the others lacked. The build quality was in another league. The design seemed years ahead of the others, even though it was three years older. The riding position felt perfectly natural. I picked mine up that spring and have never regretted it.

It wasn't any one thing, it was the whole package. I had, and still have no idea what "Gear Driven Cams" are all about, and frankly don't much care. Yes, the VTEC is gimmicky, but it's a gimmick I can have some fun with!!

My plan is to keep this bike for a long time.

I knew a few guys that worked at a Honda dealership and they wre always talking about how bad they wanted one. I trusted them since they were friends and not salesmen. I was able to trade my 03 VTX1800 for a 03 silver VFR, even trade. I thought I came out a little better. The vfr was in mint condition and the vtx I traded had some wear and tear. A few weeks later, my cousin sat on it and went out and bought a 07rwb. A few weeks after that, my brother came to town and rode it. He sold him yamaha warrior and bought an 04 red vfr. These thing are addicting...

Love this bike.

• 4 weeks later...

I knew I wanted a Honda ever since I rode my 86 Nighthawk CB450SC. I picked that bike up with 250 miles on the odo, even though it was 14 years old. I only paid $500.00 for it. It took about a $1000.00 to get it running great and I literally beat the crap out of it riding with my dad. He doesn't seem to like to ride slow. So, I knew I had to get a Honda. I bought an 05 Shadow Aero and rode it for a little while but found it to be too slow even with a rejet and a new set of pipes. I had my heart set on an 05 CBR600RR, but I saw the VFR there in the dealership off to the side and sat on it. It seemed waaaaay more comfortable than the CBR, when the salesman said it was a V-4 and started up his (aftermarket exhaust) it sealed the deal.

• Member Contributer
I was looking for something a little different. Fuel injection was a must-have as well as all-day comfort. I didn't realize I was getting as much bike as the VFR is, but that may be the feeling of others as well. Even though we call it long in the tooth, it is still pretty cutting edge technically speaking and style wise. Even after putting just shy of 500 miles on a C-14 in three days, the VFR is still a bike that is way beyond my abilities.

gallery_10736_3456_733473.jpg

atop CMH

Nice pic!! :comp13:

NEEDS TO GO INTO NEXT YEARS CALENDAR!

I bought my first bike in 2002. It was a 1981 Yamaha XS400. That bike was way too small for my 6'2" frame, and I spent more time working on that bike than I did riding it, but it was my first bike and I figured if I totaled it I would only be out the $400 I paid for it. I puttered around on it a bit for a few years and then sold it in 2005 when I moved to Dirty Jersey.

When I got to NJ I bought a 1991 CB750 Nighthawk from a buddy and I loved that bike (still do), but I have outgrown it. A friend of mine recommended that I look into VFRs and the first time I saw one I fell in love. Last weekend I was at the Honda dealer in Metuchen, NJ and I ran into a guy who was selling his red 2002 VFR with only 6K miles. He wanted to sell it quick so I got a steal on it ($4,300!!!), and I picked it up yesterday and rode it home in the rain. Of course we had torrential downpours today so I haven't ridden it again yet, but I can tell you why I bought it:

- It's a Honda, and to me that means quality and reliability

- I LOVE the styling.

- A perfect balance of sport and comfort. The ergos are perfect for me, and the bike hauls!

- The underseat exhaust. I know the performance purists hate it, but I love the look. Way better than the shorties they are putting out these days.

- The SSSA. I don't know when I will ever pull the rear tire myself, but the look is awesome. At least from one side.

- The consistently good reviews from people who know a lot more about bikes than I ever will.

- I finally have a bike with a fuel gauge!

• Member Contributer

After owning so many motorcycles, in 2003 I was ready for the overall competence and comfort of the VFR. I also had 20+ years experience with Honda V4 engines in the form of the 750 Sabre. I had read for years what a gentlemans' express the VFR was, and it was time for me to have one. Fast, reliable, quiet, smooth, comfortable, sweet handling, and good-looking.

BTW - the poll didn't offer me a category for overall competence, so I just picked "V4 engine configuration", which is still a main reason for me.

• Member Contributer
I was looking for something a little different. Fuel injection was a must-have as well as all-day comfort. I didn't realize I was getting as much bike as the VFR is, but that may be the feeling of others as well. Even though we call it long in the tooth, it is still pretty cutting edge technically speaking and style wise. Even after putting just shy of 500 miles on a C-14 in three days, the VFR is still a bike that is way beyond my abilities.

gallery_10736_3456_733473.jpg

atop CMH

Nice pic!! :fing02:

NEEDS TO GO INTO NEXT YEARS CALENDAR!

I second that. Nice color. :comp13: I chose the VFR for the comfort of the ride. :blush:

Just wondering why we leaned towards this bike. For my, it was the single sided swing arm and the undertail exhaust. I don't this to be a war of model, so you'll see answers that cover one gen and another such as vtec and gear driven sound - unique to certain generations and knowing that very little of us would choose the chain driven cams.

Hi all;

I chose the VFR because; 1. I wanted too, 2. Driving my wifes CBR advanced my thinking into the 21st century, 3. I loved the look and feel of the 6th generation VFR, 4. I admire and enjoy owning Honda motorcycles 5. Finally, I am simply amazed on how good the VFR feels after 28,000 Kms....The VFR has become a part of my collection, the main driver and the bike I really enjoy the most. The V-Tec has become un-noticeable, the V-4 engine sound glorious, and I love the power spread and it's delivery....More motorcycle than what I could have hoped...Be Safe Ride Safe.

Jeffy :fing02:

I chose the VFR for many reasons. Was bike shopping a couple years ago after starting on a Kawi ZR-7S. Fell in love with the VFR's looks and learned more about it. I looked at many bikes, narrowed it down to a few and decided on the 6th gen. VFR.

Why a VFR (in no particular order):

-SSSA

-Sleek flush-mounted signals

-Sportbike looks/Sport-tourer ergos

-Cheap to insure

-Decent fuel economy

-Honda reliability/Long lifespan of VFRs

-Instrumentation

-FI

-V4

-Wind and weather protection from windshield and fairings

-Great handling

-Affordable price tag (bought my '04 used two years ago)

-Versatility

-Range

-RED

-Available mods

-Sound, even w/stock pipes

-Uniqueness - not too many of these around here

-VFRD

Damn, Stéphan, I want to tick bit more than just one option :fing02: I chose the V4 engine, but want to also the SSSA, reliability, sporting side, gear driven!

Archived