• the sporting side
    • the touring side
    • the paint scheme
    • the racing heritage
    • the low emission engine
    • the oem luggage
    • the fuel economy
    • Other!

Alright guys........this is my story of why the VFR!

'90 or '91, early high school anyways, went into the local Honda shop. I was riding MX and always going there for stuff. Anyways, had a beautiful 3rd gen VFR, red with white wheels and that damn sexy SSSA and eight spoke rim. All I can remember was how "totally awesome" that bike was and how incredibly expensive it was, but the seed was laid. It etched an image of what a sports bike was.

Late senior year of high school, bought my first street bike after years of MX. It was a solid white cbr600 hurricane. Had 45k+ miles, repainted several times, and more poor fiberglass patches then most back yard sheds........but man, was I cool. Several years of ownership, somehow never killed myself, decided it was time to trade the then half primer/half white/half naked dream. Would of been a perfect stunt bike if it didn't predate the term by many years. Next up, CBR600 F2. College life in the fast lane. It was a big step up and a sweet V&H full exhaust that was music to me. Had my eyes on finally uping into the new CBR900ss when.......BAMMM!....marriage....kids.......and the end of the 2 wheeled life.

Now, 2008, nearly 8 years banished to cars when a co-worker went out and bought a new cbr1000 on a whim. Went home that night and decided it was time to live again. I think the wife knew it was coming because it was over quickly and nothing was thrown.....victory was mine!!!

What to buy....what to buy...?

I'm 33, not 18 anymore. I didn't want fancy graphics, 2,000 hp, or bad wrists. Old age also brought a little more heft, about 60# from the earlier years, weaker wrists, bad back, etc. etc. So the criteria was as followed:

- bigger than a 600 but smaller than a liter (thought was overkill for me)

- sporty but comfortable

- didn't want to look like boy racer

- reliable.......good gas mileage.....would be commuting with it

- budget $3k - $5k

the finalists:

Ducati Monster - (loved the sound, loved the look, SSSA on the S2's, wife didn't like the naked look, over 600cc's were too much $$$, decided maintenance cost was too high)

Triumph Daytona 600 - (loved the look, found a nice version for the $, worried too small for my fat assets)

Triumph Street Triple - (ummm.....loved it, SSSA!!!, hard to find in my price range and maintenance costs worried me....but loved it, especially in all black)

Honda SuperHawk - (wife didn't like half fairings, best values for the $, worried about handling issues I've heard about.....coupled with so many of the ones I found were wrecked/damages/laid over)

And then on craiglists, there she was......'00 Yellow VFR800. Instantly, brought back those memories of that 3rd gen.

- I loved the sound of the V-motors, reminds me of the earlier Ducs

- Sport looks, full fairings, but easy ergos

- 800cc and the torque of the V, perfect fit.....

- SSSA!!!!!! I always come back to love bikes with the SSSA......Duc S2, Tri Speed Triple.......that early 3rd gen VFR....I had to have a SSSA!

- Honda reliability.......2 cbr's and several cr's and I'm a Honda believer

- over all value

- uniqueness...... so many CBRs, R1s, R6s, Gsxrs, etc around here.........

- mine had an undertail exhaust

Sorry to ramble this long but I thinks it fits with alot of members on here. In short, there's not many bikes for this market. That a small population of mature riders what a sports bike that can do more then pretend the street is a racetrack. The VFR is unique in so many ways (sound, motor, swingarm) but the biggest may be that its the best sport bike for everyday riding.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Why?

Well the vfr does everything really well. I cant say it does anything perfect but that is ok. It has enough power,handles well, sound good,travels good, handles the curves nice, But you get the point. It is just a good all around bike. Can anyone show me a bike that does all of this? With the reliability of the V4.

My2cents

• Member Contributer

My story starts with a V45 Magna, girlfriends brother was shipping out with the navy. He was asking a grand we settled on $800. The bike was like new with about 4k on it. It was a 500 V4 and it would shred almost any Hardly it came across, but it handled like you know what. Next a friend with a 83 750 interceptor, he wanted a sportier bike. $1400 later it was mine 7k on the clock and new tires. Whoa, what a difference fast and handled too. Rode that bike to about 30k, tires were shot, needed brakes, chain stretched, and probably needed a valve adjustment. Sold it for $1400. Dumb Move! I still miss it. Enter marriage kids next 13 yrs. no bike. Every spring the itch would come, but something always got in the way, house, business venture,shed, another cage, always something. Until last year, rapidly approaching 40 I decided it was time for DAD to get a toy. What would it be well since I have never owned anything but V4's and the VFR had won every award under the sun in my absense. I started to look around finally 6 months later there she was a red 99, 15k Sargeant, Micron, heated grips, and a new rear skin with nary a scratch. It's been love ever since, and you guys have been great. Funny though I still think my 83 was faster... or maybe I was faster.

• Member Contributer

1) Cheaper insurance

2) I'm a Honda fan. :ph34r:

3) Possible lower percentage of squid ownership. Most of the used CBRs and the like I found appeared to be owned by :squid:

4) I could tell my crazy parents, "At least it's not a supersport, now leave me alone!"

Where do I vote?

Just wondering why we leaned towards this bike. For my, it was the single sided swing arm and the undertail exhaust. I don't this to be a war of model, so you'll see answers that cover one gen and another such as vtec and gear driven sound - unique to certain generations and knowing that very little of us would choose the chain driven cams.

My wife bought a 650 Bandit to commute, I have a 05 KLR 650 that just couldn't keep up with the bandit. So I decided to test ride the 08 Transalp. Went for a spin, returned and then noticed the mint condition Red 04 with oem luggage on the floor for about $2500 less. The bags including oem tank pack was still in boxes unused.

I bought it without starting it or riding it, just asked the salesguy to change the paperwork. Now I know, everytime an old coffindodger or pimplefaced kid asks me to start it or give it beans, that this is the best sounding engine this side of a BRM V16 racecar. ( They do sound remarkably similar !!)gallery_15308_4083_133891.jpg

'04 6 gen wheels modded Changed oem silver wheels to black with polished lips.<br /><br />Now its got some attitude !! And harder to keep clean....

• Member Contributer

As a (late) teenager I had scraped all my savings together to buy a used 500 Interceptor, which was the bike of my dreams at the time. This was in the mid-80s. When Cycle Canada published the first preview of the 1990 VFR, I started dreaming of one day owning one. Now, many years later, I do.

[still have the Cycle Canada ishes with articles written on the 1990; one is a preview/review, and the other one is an oddball comparo where they took a VFR and a GSX-R tooling around the East Coast...keep meaning to scan and post those some day]

#1 - Cuz they're f'n cool man!!!!

For me, when I was motorcycle hunting/dreaming, had seen and sat on a few at dealers and really liked them. Just so happened that I got the green light to get a new bike and a purty red 98 was for sale! Love at first sight - then I killed her (the bike) two years later......Now I have my POS 2001 frankenviffer.

• Member Contributer

It was really an impulse buy. Friend of mine said he needed to stop by the Ducati/Honda shop for parts. As my friend was at the parts counter, I sat on a RC51 for 15 minutes. Sat on the VFR right next to it and was hooked. Probably the combination of looks, comfort, and my friend convincing me to put a deposit on it. LOLOL

Like Baileyrock, I wanted something different. Every other squid is running around on an inline 4, I wanted to be the squid on something different. And I have to admit I like the angular styling of the 6th Gens.

Try explaining VTEC and the concept of a single sided swingarm to some goober that rides a 636 Ninja. They look at you like you're from outer space.

It wasn't intentional, but 3 of the 4 bikes I own are V-4's. VFR800, ST1300, and a '96 V-Max. No particular reason, just serendipity I guess.

It's a bit of a long story.

I bought my first motorcycle on my 19th birthday - 1978 Yamaha XS400 - and got pulled over that very first night. As a starving student I talked my way out of 8 tickets in the next 8 months, put 20,000 km on in just under a year... and by May I was ready for an upgrade.

I stopped at the local shop, saw a 1984 VF750F on consignment on the floor... 8 years old, 21,000 km, $2100 CDN. I asked for a test ride, was handed the keys, and went out for a rip... a great first date. The shop guy later told me that the owner who had it on consignment dropped by an hour later very excited that someone was looking at buying his bike... I had passed him at 100 mph+... oops.

Rode my '84 full time for two summers and a winter back and forth across the rockies many times... total about 40,000 km in 16 months. Met my wife washing that bike in the summer of 1993.

Rode part time for a few years after that, got married, moved to the US and never bothered to do importation, let it sit in the garage for three years... then cleaner her up, did the paperwork, back in the saddle for a couple more years. Like dating an old flame. Noted the 1999 in Yellow when I visited the Honda shop for parts... maybe a new one would be cool... maybe after grad school.

Made a big mistake - sold the VF in California in 2001. It seemed like a good idea at the time. The buyer was concerned that it might be low on power, so I wheelied down the block, turned around, and did a full height stoppie to convince him. His hands were shaking as he counted out $100s. I promised myself (and warned my wife) that I would own another VFR someday - when I had the money to buy what I wanted, ride when I wanted, and let it sit when I wanted to savour just looking at it.

Moved all over, had fabulous kids, was nicely settling down... seven years of no motorcycle, though I pined for an affair every spring. This summer a co-worker's boyfriend bought a Ninja 636 and I felt those same urges... but I was still thinking I was a responsible father and husband and would have to wait a few more years.

One Friday evening I was surfing around and on a whim googled "white VFR edmonton"... hit the link and up came the image... :laugh: WOW - they made another RWB!!!!! "HONEY - LOOK AT THIS!!!!!!!" Her response: "Oh no... you are going to obsess over this, aren't you?" "No, honey, I just think it is cool" ;-)

Saturday afternoon I stopped in at the dealer, looked at gear, looked at the '08... was nice, but not pulling at the heart strings. Salesman stops over, answers a few questions about 07 versus 08, rarity of Anniversary editions, etc. He suggested that he might still be able to find a new '07... and threw out a decent price. Checked the computer, found exactly one... the last new RWB in Alberta. He promised to call on Monday morning.

Sunday - lots of surfing, reading, dreaming... every conversation somehow turns to motorcycles.

Monday:

7:15AM Q:"Honey, what do I do if he calls and he can get one?" A:"Just buy it so I can stop hearing about it!" (that sounds like she's on board, doesn't it? I may have obsessed a bit...)

9:41 AM - "It's available if you want it".

1:35 PM - deposit down, paperwork signed, less than 72 hours elapsed since learning of the RWB.

I have walked away from every other colour... but I had to have the Anniversary edition.

Mid life crisis...? not really - just executing the plan. Mistress....? definitely :-)

I cannot describe the unfettered joy that bike has brought me.

So... Paint, engine, stance, sport, touring, exhaust, sound, ABS, SSSA, headlights, VTEC, heritage... need I go on? As much as things have changed, nothing has changed - it is a time machine.

• Member Contributer

Ummm.. :unsure: I can't believe I'm not the only one that chose 'the color!!' :dry:

No really though, it was that cool flat black that caught my eye enough to want to know what kind of bike it was. Once I started researching what a VFR was it was over. :idea3: Something so attractive with all the coolness of a V4, linked ABS brakes, good horsepower, and a Honda to boot? What's not to like? :fing02:

come on now guys, the V4 in our bikes has other advantages than just being bullet-proof, being a cut above other motors, and being NOT another inline 4......am i the only one here who can almost get off on the fact that a V4 being cranked out to its limits sounds as happy as a GP bike cruising around a track? sometimes its REALLY hard to keep that tach below 9 grand on those days when the bike's reminding me how cool it is?

I love to ride long distance. However, on the weekends I like to meet up with all my gixxer buddies and have a fun night on a bike that still looks sporty.

The VFR fits me perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...
I started sport touring after the kids left home. I just could not keep up with the sport bikes our group rode on our twisty mountain roads with my 650 Nighthawk. The VFR was the choice for a speed, handling, and long distance comfort. I chose the 6th gen. because of the under tail exhaust. With the OEM luggage I tour all over the west coast US, 60K miles in 4-1/2 years. Larger ST bikes seem too bloated to me and race replicas not suited for the long haul. I wanted more than a 600 and a liter was too much which left few choices. The full fairing weather protection is amazing after riding all these years on nakeds in our mild wet Pacific NW weather year around.

I do miss the simple low maintenance of the Nighthawk, shaft drive, hydraulic valve tappets, unlinked brakes, air cooled, CV carbs. Everything on the VFR is a pain to work on and it has not been trouble free. It sure could have been a simpler machine but it is the best package for the riding I love.

I am from Southern California. I am planning a trip to take in the late spring/early summer 2010 unless I can somehow afford to take 3 weeks off next year. I have been wondering how many days I should set aside to ride from Vancouver to Eureka down PCH? On this part of the trip I will be trying to cover ground more than wanting to stop and smell the roses. I would be very grateful if you could suggest choice locations where I should plan my rest/meal stops, and how far I should attempt to go each day.

Here's my potential itinerary so far:

(You can plug these locations into Google Maps to plot it to get an idea if your curious)

Costa Mesa, CA to St George, Utah stay overnite then head out (brother lives there)

St George to Snowmass, Colorado Stay overnite and next day then leave the following morning (younger brother lives there)

Snowmass to Yellowstone 2 days ride probably. Tour Yellowstone 2 days

Yellowstone to Glacier National Park, Montana 2 days ride plus tour 1 day and camp there

Glacier Pk to Castlegar, BC (Canada) to visit long lost cousin 1 day travel and stay 2 days

Castlegar, BC to Vancouver, BC 1 day travel. Stay overnite then

Vancouver to Seattle to PCH south of Seattle to a reasonable motel somewhere. 1 day

This is where I especially need advice.. how long from just south of Seattle to Eureka going down PCH?

Eureka thru San Fran Bay area and to a hotel near the 5 Fwy south of the I-80 1 day

Then from where ever I'm at to Costa Mesa 1 day

Just wondering why we leaned towards this bike. For my, it was the single sided swing arm and the undertail exhaust. I don't this to be a war of model, so you'll see answers that cover one gen and another such as vtec and gear driven sound - unique to certain generations and knowing that very little of us would choose the chain driven cams.

Hello/Bonjour mon ami;

Why..ours is not to question or reason?, ...The Looks; every angle is a feast for the eyes, The Sound; The unmistakable sound of a V-Four in flight, The Feel; Of a tactile sense much the same as a wonderful old pair of sneakers, The Value; What else can be so much fun with so much goodness built in, Finally; Its a Honda..and I love Mr. Hondas approach to building machines.....The love affair continues...Zen and The Art of VFR Ownership...Priceless!!!!

Be Safe Ride Safe,

Jeffy :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

For years I wanted another bike, I was fortunate to have a good friend and neighbor that would allow me to live my fantasies vicariously through his collection. He never refused me a chance to ride any of his bikes to include Ducs, BMW, and a few I still don’t know what they were. One day about six or eight years ago he bought a VFR, don’t remember the generation but it had an aftermarket paint job that was, in my opinion, nasty. He let me ride it with my younger son on the back. I drove it for about an hour and hated when I had to give it back. I would have bought it right then, even with the ugly paint job, but it was not in the cards.

About five months ago the price of gas rose to a point I was spending $600 per month commuting to work at the same time a CD matured and my wife said “I think it’s time you start riding a motorcycle to work”. Three weeks later I found an 02 ,red of course, in my price range with a surprisingly low 2700 miles on it and bought it.

Since I have added a few things, Givi top case and our children gave us the Q2 team blue tooth for when we ride together. I have met some great people that ride VFR and enjoy stopping at five points in East Nashville for a beer and watching all the British, Harley and Euro bikers wonder what it is.

I really need to take the Honda sticker off the tank.... That would be even more fun.

Muff

• Member Contributer

Please forgive my long-winded response.

I’ve always been a big fan of the VFR. When the Interceptor came out back in 83 I immediately wanted one. The V4 engine amazed me and still does. I was a broke college student at the time and all I could afford was a CB360. Ran that for a few years, got busy with other things and didn’t own another bike until 1992. I wanted a VFR but again, couldn’t afford one so I opted for a 1992 CBR600 instead. My wife (now the ex) hated it, refused to ride on it so I bought a 93 Sportster. Had both of them for a year or so, ended up buying a house and having kids so they both had to go.

Off and on over the years I’d come close to being able to buy one and something always happened that prevented me from getting it, usually something financial and not in a good way.

This past year I turned 46 and decided that no matter what I was going to own a VFR. After being outbid a few times on ebay, I found one on another board in the classified section that was perfect, a 1998 model with only 12,500 miles on it. It’s sitting in my garage as I type this. I picked a 5th Gen because of the gear driven cams (love the gear whine), red color, and I could afford to buy it without having to finance it.

In-line fours are great engines but they bore me, as do most V-twins. The V-4 is a perfect blend of the two. Where I live most of the bikes you see (and hear) are HD’s and other cruiser-type bikes. I looked at those but that was as far as it went. The VFR is a unique, one of a kind machine and in my area you just don’t see them every day. The exhaust note is music to my ears (not like a chain saw).

Oh, and my wife (number 2) took one look at the VFR when she saw me eyeing one up on line and told me “you can’t get a bike like that, you’re too old for that. Why don’t you get a Harley or a normal looking bike (whatever that is)?” Four days later I bought my 98. It took her a total of 10 minutes to ask if I’d take her for a ride.

I just spent a glorious 3 hours detailing it. Not that it needed it. :biggrin:

I blame the magazines and all those tests back in the day calling the VFR the MC of the year.

I chose 8 of the 12 reasons. They were right. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I was looking for a practicle bike to re-enter motorcycling after my crash. Shopping for a BMW r100 sort of thing when I came across an 86 RWB vfr700. It was the coolest looking motorcycle I'd ever seen. Sold it In 98 to buy my present 5th gen VFR. I don't have plans to sell this one and now regret not keeping the '86. Friend owns it so I still get to see it pretty often.

Archived