Extended Tank Screws For Ram Mount

Guest dbuffo

Question

Guest dbuffo

I just installed a RAM mount on my 1999 VFR800, like I have seen done many times on this forum. I used the U-bolt base minus the u-bolt on the two screws securing the tank. This is for my Valentine One radar detector. The stock screws seem just a little too short for me. In fact, I stripped one of the screws because I tightened it too much and it wasn't even going in that far in the first place. Does anyone know what type of screws I should get? I know the head is 8mm, but that is it. I guess I need a diameter and a thread pitch. Thanks a lot.

16 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Shoot. I forgot. Take one to the local hardware (ace or Aco, are good), they'll hook you up.

• Member Contributer

I got them at home depot. Don't know the numbers, but they have a handy-dandy thread identifier with bunch of holes of all sizes...

Worked well enough.

same here, stock bolts on the RAM for my Zumo.

I guess I just tightened it too much. It probably would have worked fine if I had not screwed(pun intended) it up. I will take a trip to the hardware store and get longer ones. Thank you.

It'll be a 1.25 or 1.5 thread pitch. Double check, because those "nifty thread identifiers" sometimes aren't too accurate with machine screws.

I used a Hex Head screw, Metric Size 6, 40mm length. Thanks a lot.

• Member Contributer

Yes, 40mm adds the length for the ram mount so the so the bolt will go just as deep as the stock ones without the ram mount. I just added one and the stem ram mount. Shooting HD vid and looking at GPS. Should have done this years ago.

• Member Contributer

The thread pitch is m6x1.0. I was unable to find anything suitable at the local hardware stores or HD/Lowes, so I ordered mine from boltdepot.com

Product #6715

Metric hex bolts, Metric standard bolts, Steel grade 10.9, 6mm x 1.0 x 35mm

Quantity: 4 pieces

Price: $0.37

Subtotal: $1.48

I ended up stripping the threads in the frame with the stock bolts and installed helicoils in both.

• Member Contributer
The thread pitch is m6x1.0. I was unable to find anything suitable at the local hardware stores or HD/Lowes, so I ordered mine from boltdepot.com

Product #6715

I ended up stripping the threads in the frame with the stock bolts and installed helicoils in both.

Plus $10 shipping? :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Product #6715

Plus $10 shipping? :rolleyes:

$8.21 actually, but I ordered a lot of other stuff too, so shipping was only about 30% of the total cost, and I spent more than that in gas driving around looking for the correct bolts locally.

Archived