collegue bought himself a bike
we donot have the Dragon
we we got dykes
with roads on top
so while you cannot bump into a dyke
you can ride off one, if you are not carefull

along river banks they can be very winding
aalst.jpg
(if you type Aalst, Netherlands in Google Earth -pick the zaltbommel one- you can follow the river's meandering course)

and have at times a serious drop

HPIM6206.jpg

H0016203-P.jpg

The Bommelerwaard area is situated between rivers; the dutch started dyking off the area from the 14th century onwards, and pumping the ground water to higher ground so it could be released into the river. this pumping still continues to this day to keep our feet dry...

The areA was covered in windmills in the olden days, we do have a few fine examples left

Dykes are monitored for wear/maintenace so you can come accross sections like this....
HPIM6197.jpg
no lower wards flooding on our watch.....

So how do we get accross these rivers? Well yes bridges ofcourse, but also

HPIM6207.jpg
(and yep, this one didnot run on Sunday....)

Pollen Alert!!!!
HPIM6194.jpg

Oh, here is another "Google Earth" location for you: Heusden, Netherlands :fing02:

I'm REALLY looking forward to being there in September. Shame it's only a week. sad.gif

We're also taking my mother-in-law, as my father-in-law died a couple of weeks ago. So, we're taking half his ashes back to his birthplace for a wee ceremony with the family there (both in-laws are Dutch).

BTW - no need for mother-in-law jokes or snipes - she's a lovely lady, and it will be a pleasure vacationing with her. :pissed:

Interesting. Good pics. Thanks Dutchy. :fing02:

Suddenly I remember the Dutch Windmill cookies we used to get way back when. :pissed:

I have had the pleasure of riding over there, and I will tell you, the people, the roads and the beer are all the best.

• 2 months later...

Aaah.. I remember thous banks from when I was touring thro The Netherlands back in 97 whit a friend. We even did take a nap on the banks that sunday after ridenig up from Paris saturday and wisiting the red light corners in Amsterdam saturday night....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

We are begining to get them thar windmills here in the U.S. too. Instead of grindin' grain, they are grindin' out electricity.

Archived