Front Brake Caliper Grind Against Rotor?

Guest heavenzjai

Guest heavenzjai

I just changed out my fork oil for the first time, and after putting everything back together, the left side front brake caliper is rubbing against the rotor near the outer edge.

I took off the brake caliper and cleaned it up and remounted, sure enough, it's still the same. Anyone have any ideas why?

You likely need to loosen the front axle pinch bolts off, plus the big bolt on the end of the axle and slide it in the correct direction to alleviate your rubbing.

Best done with the bike on the C-stand, and the front end elevated slightly.

There is a feeler gauge in a little pocket on the backside of the OEM tool bag that is 0.7mm

You should have at least that much clearance between your caliper and the rotor.

This is outlined in the FSM, not sure about the owners manual, but probably there too.

You also need to assemble & torque the axle and pinch bolts in a specified procedure, which also involves pumping your front brakes and the front of the bike up & down to center the forks.

thanks for the tips!

I'm looking in the "FSM" and 12-4 doesn't say anything about measurement. For some reason 12-5 is a blank page.

I've got the axle torqued correctly, I accidentally broke one of the pinch bolts (don't ask) on the right side.

Can someone grab a screen shot of 12-5 for me?

thanks for the tips!

I'm looking in the "FSM" and 12-4 doesn't say anything about measurement. For some reason 12-5 is a blank page.

I've got the axle torqued correctly, I accidentally broke one of the pinch bolts (don't ask) on the right side.

Can someone grab a screen shot of 12-5 for me?

you just need to make sure there clearance on both sides of the rotor with regards to the caliper , you have to shine a flash light up in there to see.

being you snapp ed the bolt, that is the adjustment so you'll have to fix that first, you know that was a 14 ftlb pinch bolt

• 3 weeks later...

still can't figure it out. In inside of the rotor of the right side is rubbing, I thought that putting a shim behind the brake pad would assist in centering it more, but i don't have any thing hard shims.

I removed the wheel agian, put everything back on, and still the same. The only thing I can think of is putting a washer between the brake caliper and fork thus moving the caliber in more.

broken bolt has been fixed (this was on the left side)

still can't figure it out. In inside of the rotor of the right side is rubbing, I thought that putting a shim behind the brake pad would assist in centering it more, but i don't have any thing hard shims.

I removed the wheel agian, put everything back on, and still the same. The only thing I can think of is putting a washer between the brake caliper and fork thus moving the caliber in more.

broken bolt has been fixed (this was on the left side)

the caliper is mounted to the fork leg, after torquing the axle, you adust the left side fork leg in or out to have the right clearance.

your talking the left caliper correct when sitting on the bike, the left?

are ya sure the rotor is rubbiing and not just the normalcy of the pads to drag. you should see a gap on both side of the rotor not touching the cliper, about 30 thousancths on both sides of clearnce.

Left side, facing bike.

Left side has a longer spacer, right side a shorter one.

Installation: both forks set at the same height.

install and torque center axle wheel bolt/nut

install and torque pinch bolts

mount the calibers, and hand screw bolts in

shine flash light, right side inside is touching the rotor.

Left side, facing bike.

If I recall rightly, there's your problem, the long spacer goes on the right and the short spacer on the left. This would set the wheel further to the left, thus moving the inner face of the rotor you confirm is rubbing, further to the left... away from the calliper body against which it rubs. The feeler was for measuring the gap between the calliper body and the rotor, not the pads...

Here's the relevant pages:

wheel1ix8.jpg

wheel2kw6.jpg

wheel3jg3.jpg

Left side, facing bike.

okay, I understand , but thats the right side pad set, I agree the longer spacer belongs on the left pad set , or with your orientation it would go on the right side facing the bike.

Just to get us all orientated, when referring to right or left, the norm is to do so as if seated on the bike. Apart from being clearly visible in the images posted, the longer spacer is definitley on the right, unless there's a big difference between the 5th and 6th gen spacers (doubt that, as they're the same wheels, although the obvious difference is in the fork cartridges having only one pinch bolt for the 6th gen, 2 for the 5th), I'm always changing my wheels wheel over (have two sets of rims for soft and hard rubbers = pllay and commuting) and have made this mistake before in the past... in order to commit the information to memory... I often use word games, just like when we were rugrats... I thought Left begins with L, as does Long. OK I thought... but the Long one's on the right... hmmm, OK, just know that it's alphabetically back-to-front I told myself... don't laugh... hehehe... it's just like with the starboard and port side of a boat... "port" has 4 letters... as does "left"... so the right's starboard...

stop laughing... this is serious... :warranty:

spacersix2.jpg

Image from the 5th gen manual: this time instead of just labelling them "collars" like in the 6th gen manual, they indicate which side each one goes on... oh, and by the way... the bouncing the front end can be done before tightening up the left-hand-side pinch bolt(s). That is to say:

- put collars (spacers) in place

- place wheel (try to line up the left rotor in the calliper at this moment, roughly)

- grease and install axle

- stick a largish screwdriver in the hole in the left end of the axle.

- tighten the axle bolt to torque

- tighten the right side pinch bolt(s) to torque

- install the right brake calliper and tighten bolts to torque (you didn't remove the left one did you? if you did, slap it on as well)

- install the fender (if you removed it)

- with the front brake applied, bounce the front end a few times to seat the whole shabang

- tighten left side pinch bolt(s)

- check gap with feeler gauge (.7 mm)

- with the front end lifted, spin the wheel and see how it spins... any rubbing... you skipped something or haven't installed the calliper well. Maybe you've overtightened the axle bolt...

Like I said, I did once put the collars on the wrong way, in my case nothing rubbed, but the bike swerved seriously to one side... lesson learned.

we're all talking about the same thing.

I just recheck the 90-96 manual and it shows the left side (while sitting on the bike) with a shorter collar/spacer, right side (while sitting on bike) with a longer one. This is exactly how I have it.

It doesn't hurt to swap them and see how everything fits.

• Member Contributer

Cheers to all for posting.....

Page 12-5 is indeed missing from the on-line manual 3rd/4th gen.

And I simply fitted everything back to spec as outlined on page 12-4, but not in that specific order.

I will re-do the procedure today, just to make sure everything is A-OK.

I did notice a light shudder when I hold the steering loosely when decellerating at low speed... perhaps this will cure it....

Yeah, ok, you were facing the bike when you said left... right?? Hehehe... tomato.

Try installing again... see if it seats in w/ better alignment this time... otherwise, not having the bike in front of me...

• 6 years later...
  • Member Contributer

I just came across a similar but more confusing issue,the longer spacer that was on the bike,(right side sitting on the bike) is pushing the wheel/rotor against the the left side caliper,that was the way it had been,only discovered this after fitting the new tyres and re-installing the front wheel.

seems to me the only solution is to reduce the size of the longer spacer to get the rotors and wheel centred correctly.

I wonder if the bike might have aftermarket discs?and could this be the issue? they look too good to be the original discs.

• Member Contributer

Try tightening the bolts in this sequence:

Main axle bolt

Right axle clamp

Left axle clamp

Give the forks a good bounce up and down between each step.

You may just have pulled the left leg inwards when you inserted the axle.

With the left clamp loose you could pull the leg away from the wheel a little if you still need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Thanks Terry, I'll do that 2moro, I wonder if you or someone else might put a tape measure on the front wheel and measure the the width of the discs,outside to outside if you understand me,

I have a notion that the discs themselves may be the issue.

• Member Contributer

I'll see if I can do that this evening when I get home. But clearance between the rotors and the callipers is specifically mentioned in the owners manual, and it is definitely easy to inadvertently push the left leg inwards if the axle has a little corrosion on it.

post-22267-0-63396000-1416358615.png

Because I have had more forks apart a lot changing damper bits, everything slips together easily for me!

• Member Contributer

Ok the measurement across the discs to their outside faces is 141.78mm. Another measurement is the amount of axle that projects from the left fork leg which is 9.42mm. Hope those are helpful Saoirse.

• Member Contributer

There's only one spacer on the 5th gen axle, it goes on the right side.

• Member Contributer

I can't get an accurate measure with it assembled because the spacer goes into the dust seal but there's 20mm projecting. I was incorrect about the number of spacers as there is also a smaller one on the left side, I forgot it was there because it never falls out. I can do some accurate measurements in 12 hrs or so.

• Member Contributer

26.25mm and 8.73mm for the small one. The axle is 186mm.

Archived