Corsa Iii's Or Pilot Power (fr) Pilot Road Rear

marid2apterbilt

Ok after a quik inspection of my tires after the recent skuuter crawl I notice my Front is cupping (D204)

Im leaning towards the Corsa III's personnaly. but from all the threads i have read on here im not sure whether to shoe my baby with corsa III's front n rear or change it up a little.

Should i..

Corsa III's front n rear ?

Corsa III rear with stickier front (need sugestion for the front)

Pilot power front, Pilot road rear

Pilot powers Front n rear.

What are your thought on 1 of these setups or for those who live or know the western carolina pretty well give your sugestions..

Thanks

Sam,

The Corsa III's a very good tires, I've track tested them with great results. I'm not sure how long they last, maybe similar mileage as PP. I've seem some Corsa III for great deals on eBay from a reputable seller for <$240 shipped and consider ordering a set soon. I would feel comfy with either PP's or Corsa III's, but my plan is to try a PP front with a Road 2 rear, NOT a regular Road as the SUCK IMO, but Road 2's are hard to find at the moment. :goofy:

I would go with option 1 or 4. Can't go wrong with Corsa3s or Powers. Pilot Roads are for slab riding

1 or 4. Travis(Riv) likes his Corsa3s and I love my Powers. If you did go for 3, Pliot Road on the rear, make SURE it's a 'Road2'.

Then you'll have the side stick of the Power to better match the front.

Two cents(US) please...

DAMN YOU TRAVIS, YOU TRIGGER HAPPY POST LURKER!!!!! :goofy:

I'M DEAD AGAIN!!! :angry: -_-

• Member Contributer

I've run both. I've run the PP's on the VFR and I've been through two sets of DC3's on the 600rr. The mileage would be about the same.

I would not mix tires. Run a matching set of whatever you decide to get.

Out of those two on a VFR, I think I would lean towards the PP's. The PP's steer a bit quicker and will make the VFR feel a bit lighter. The DC3's have abit more nuetral profile which I like on the 600rr because the RR stears pretty darn quick already. Another thing about the DC3's is that on the track they felt great, had a ton of grip and feedback. Felt like i was on rails. For whatever reason, i don't really have the same confidence in them on the street. The feedback has not been the same. Don't get me wrong, they are a great tire. Some of it could be in my head, or I might need to lower the pressure a bit (running 36/34 on the street).

It might be though that these tires don't shine until you get them up to track temps.

It's all subjective though and I don't have enough track or tire experience to make an unbiased opinion. To be fair, I've never had a lot of confidence in any tire on the street compared to the way the DC3's felt on the track. The stock Qualifiers that came on the RR probably gave me the most street confidence at first, but they fell off on the back end of the tire and the fronts wore really badly.

• Member Contributer
I've run both. I've run the PP's on the VFR and I've been through two sets of DC3's on the 600rr. The mileage would be about the same.

I would not mix tires. Run a matching set of whatever you decide to get.

Out of those two on a VFR, I think I would lean towards the PP's. The PP's steer a bit quicker and will make the VFR feel a bit lighter. The DC3's have abit more nuetral profile which I like on the 600rr because the RR stears pretty darn quick already. Another thing about the DC3's is that on the track they felt great, had a ton of grip and feedback. Felt like i was on rails. For whatever reason, i don't really have the same confidence in them on the street. The feedback has not been the same. Don't get me wrong, they are a great tire. Some of it could be in my head, or I might need to lower the pressure a bit (running 36/34 on the street).

It might be though that these tires don't shine until you get them up to track temps.

It's all subjective though and I don't have enough track or tire experience to make an unbiased opinion. To be fair, I've never had a lot of confidence in any tire on the street compared to the way the DC3's felt on the track. The stock Qualifiers that came on the RR probably gave me the most street confidence at first, but they fell off on the back end of the tire and the fronts wore really badly.

Granted. Cozey is on the high end of riding stance, I'm on the low end. IMHO. Bike weight may make the, "feel", difference. The thing that I've found, with the Corsa's is that the bike leads more. (Not that, that's a bad thing). With the the stock tires, conti's, and diablo's, when really getting into a lean, I, (with minimal experience), would have to roll it into that position. I've been told over and over, The bike will lead you. It does. But with the PC3's, it threw me. I was expecting minor inputs, but it was not needed. hands off, in twisties, just using body lean. I had to re-adjust my confidence, to a higher level. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I no not of pilots, and haven't used them on the VFR, in spite of FANTASTIC reviews. (I don't doubt the intelligence and ride experience of the folks here). All I know is that I know what I know, and the DC3's, allowed me to move to the next level, without loss of confidence.

Granted. Cozey is on the high end of riding stance, I'm on the low end. IMHO. Bike weight may make the, "feel", difference. The thing that I've found, with the Corsa's is that the bike leads more. (Not that, that's a bad thing). With the the stock tires, conti's, and diablo's, when really getting into a lean, I, (with minimal experience), would have to roll it into that position. I've been told over and over, The bike will lead you. It does. But with the PC3's, it threw me. I was expecting minor inputs, but it was not needed. hands off, in twisties, just using body lean. I had to re-adjust my confidence, to a higher level. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I no not of pilots, and haven't used them on the VFR, in spite of FANTASTIC reviews. (I don't doubt the intelligence and ride experience of the folks here). All I know is that I know what I know, and the DC3's, allowed me to move to the next level, without loss of confidence.

What ???

:angry:

Let your Wife lead you, not your bike! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

What ???

:angry:

Let your Wife lead you, not your bike! :goofy:

LOL. Come up. Have a steak. Run against Rick. At least you'll get a good steak, from the deal. LOL. I'm so far behind all of you. I'll do way better at T-Mac, this year, I place that on PCIII's.

Where you live. PP's no question about it. Your confidence will double compared to the dunslops that come stock. I wouldnt even bother with a sport touring rear where you live.

• Member Contributer
Granted. Cozey is on the high end of riding stance, I'm on the low end.

High end ?? :goofy:

Nah... I'm more of an average rider.

BR is on the high end :thumbsup:

I went from the D204's to Pilot Powers and my bike felt 100 pounds lighter and much more nimble

My .02 cents

Sure enough, with just a tire change alone(Pilot Powers) your VFR will feel more like a CBR vs a heavy slow pig that stock tires feel like! :thumbsup: Shape/profile of the tires has a lot to do with it and Powers shape make the bike Fall into a turn(no effort to lean it over) vs the constant effort needed to turn flatter profile tires like stockers. Plus added grip and stability about doubles most riders confidence levels instantly.

note: some people Don't like a bike to have that Fall Over feel, but I love it myself and since I live in the twisties I like the quicker response it gives! :thumbsup:

The Corsa III's will steer slower vs Powers. :pissed:

• Member Contributer
note: some people Don't like a bike to have that Fall Over feel, but I love it myself and since I live in the twisties I like the quicker response it gives!

That's what I'm talking about. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, Corsa 3's it will be, now lets see what kind of deal my local guy can get me.

Huh? PILOT POWERS, :thumbsup:

I think we're in some sort of time warp here...

Thanks guys, Corsa 3's it will be, now lets see what kind of deal my local guy can get me.

Sorry guy's (pilot power lovers) a few of the posts here really caught my eye about the turn in and fall over feeling so im gonna have to go with the corsa's. After my ride with skuuter last week i now know I didnt know what the heck i was doing before but it worked some how, and have been playing with a few things building confidence on lean angles, tire grip etc. I PERSONALLY would rather have to lead the bike into the corner than it just fall in ( i hope my assumption of leading the bike is correct), As before i was using my weight n the bikes weight to get the lean into the corners. At least then you know (as a beginner) what the bike is doing and the actions are only as fast as you are. I'm not a fast rider but i like to ride steady, NO BRAKES IF POSSIBLE.

i BELIEVE the corsa's will give me a better feel for what I am doing along with what the bike is doing..

I need to learn not let technology do it for me n i learn nothing to the point i am dangerous thinking i might know i can ride properly. Some of you are thinking Msf course now. Sorry but my schedule n work just dont coincide for that a possibilty. So i read all i can on here in hopes of putting it to use out there. So far so good and thank you all for your help whether you know it or not.

Feel free to correct me if i am wrong in any of this.

Edit..

Might i also add i live in what i think to be one of the most dangerous riding areas in the country But very fun roads. Sometimes i feel lucky i have survived this long.

• Member Contributer

Sorry guy's (pilot power lovers) a few of the posts here really caught my eye about the turn in and fall over feeling so im gonna have to go with the corsa's. After my ride with skuuter last week i now know I didnt know what the heck i was doing before but it worked some how, and have been playing with a few things building confidence on lean angles, tire grip etc. I PERSONALLY would rather have to lead the bike into the corner than it just fall in ( i hope my assumption of leading the bike is correct), As before i was using my weight n the bikes weight to get the lean into the corners. At least then you know (as a beginner) what the bike is doing and the actions are only as fast as you are. I'm not a fast rider but i like to ride steady, NO BRAKES IF POSSIBLE.

i BELIEVE the corsa's will give me a better feel for what I am doing along with what the bike is doing..

I need to learn not let technology do it for me n i learn nothing to the point i am dangerous thinking i might know i can ride properly. Some of you are thinking Msf course now. Sorry but my schedule n work just dont coincide for that a possibilty. So i read all i can on here in hopes of putting it to use out there. So far so good and thank you all for your help whether you know it or not.

Feel free to correct me if i am wrong in any of this.

Edit..

Might i also add i live in what i think to be one of the most dangerous riding areas in the country But very fun roads. Sometimes i feel lucky i have survived this long.

Read "Total Control" by Lee Parks, then go out and practice what he teaches. It will all come together quicker, you will understand what's really going on and you'll have more fun. Having a bike "fall into the curves" isn't like what you're thinking I suspect strongly. It's good to get a lot of great advice but Parks has a way of making it all come together, IMHO. :thumbsup:

Tyre threads are really some of the strangest threads you read, comments about fall in etc are very strange, could you use the words "tip in" :pissed:

I have used the Diablo Corsa on the VFR but not the Corsa 3, which I think might be my next set of tyres but to say they don't tip in like PP would be all about the rider & your bike geometry. I found the Corsa to be a much better tyre upfront than the PP for feed back the PP to me is very vague.

I have PP2CT front & rear at the moment & I don't like them compared to standard PP or Diablo Corsa or even my fav tyre Bridgestone 002 (new compound).

My bike is setup to corner & has the suspension to do that & just for an example I just have come back from a 7 day ride where one road I have never done before called Mt Beauty in VIC is a corner monkeys dream with 15,25,35,45kph corners until your so tired you need a rest. Now I'm not the best rider or the slowest but I do have a CBR1000RR track bike & can move when the brain works & for the above Mt ride I had a friend on a ZX10R with bling suspension & 002 fitted & he couldn't keep up so the PP2CT work. I just didn't have a planted front feeling the Corsa/002 give me but on saying that I didn't have any front end slides but think I was slower due to my brain locked into vague feeling mode. I think what I'm trying to say here is all tyres work at that end of the market it all comes down to individual preference.

Now to move on to the catch cry "don't mix tyres" well my fav combo is a 002 up front & a PP rear (don't like 002 rear for road due to profile) & some others have the PP front ROAD2 rear combo & it doesn't slow them down one bit except there getting 2x the mileage from the ROAD2 rear than the PP.

So in a nut shell what I didn't like about the PP2CT front/rear is front feels vague (I have same feeling with normal PP) & the rear tends to slide allot more when road conditions change from a standard PP (I think has allot to do with heat in tyre & the race compound is squirming).

• Member Contributer

I currently have been ridding on my first set of Corsa 3's and I love them. I have run the PPower, PRoad and the PP turns in super fast and you will learn a ton about your bike and will have a blast doing it on these. The PR will teach you that tires made for higher mileage instill no confidence like a track bread tire will but it will last a little longer, not much if you push it hard like a track tire. The C3 reminds me more of the turn in of the PR but that is where the resemblance ends, it quickly gets into the sticky compound and bites hard. I am very happy with my first 500 miles and look forward to the rest. I got them from Ebay for $240 shipped as well.

Archived