Anyone Hear Anything About The New Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart?

Guest tpierce(MP)

Guest tpierce(MP)

I have the most recent issue of BIKE, and it has the test of Dunlop's new sport-touring tire, the Sportmax RoadSmart. It has a dual compound rear, like the 021 and Road2, which it was compared to. In all catagories the 021 was last, then the Road2, with the Dunlop taking top honors. I've looked on Dunlop's website, but see no info on the tire yet. Should i expect it not to come out for another 6 months after it comes out in europe, like the R2? I'm about ready to replace my 021s, and would try them out if i can get them, if not, it's another set of 021s for me.

BTW, they said the test bike they used in the test was a VFR :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Hope Dunlop tires handle better than 021's and aren't priced ridiculously like the PR2's.

Well the mag listed them as as good as if not better that the Road2s (which they listed as better than the 021s), and the price they had was around 192 pounds... That's almost $400... I'd imagine the price would be between the 021s and the Road 2s.

Well the mag listed them as as good as if not better that the Road2s (which they listed as better than the 021s), and the price they had was around 192 pounds... That's almost $400... I'd imagine the price would be between the 021s and the Road 2s.

I would certainly want for a test of the actual production tire and not these special pre-production versions.

They could be race rubber just for this testing purpose to get great reviews and then sell a different compound production version because these test tire only lasted 1000 miles! :beer:

:thumbsup:

ps I have never like Dunlop street tires, my Dunlop Qualifier front is cupping Badly after only 1500 miles and is headed to the dumpster as it will not get another ride on it. <_<

• Member Contributer

I would certainly want for a test of the actual production tire and not these special pre-production versions.

They could be race rubber just for this testing purpose to get great reviews and then sell a different compound production version because these test tire only lasted 1000 miles! :beer:

:thumbsup:

ps I have never like Dunlop street tires, my Dunlop Qualifier front is cupping Badly after only 1500 miles and is headed to the dumpster as it will not get another ride on it. <_<

Street and Track for the Qs?

• 3 weeks later...
SuperBike Mag liked the Dunlops too. Here is a clip I found on the preproduction models

Again it's Not a Real test of the production tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As stated:

This is not a normal tyre review; in fact the tyre we test in the video below is still a prototype.

There's No reality here until they test a production tire. :wheel:

• Member Contributer
SuperBike Mag liked the Dunlops too. Here is a clip I found on the preproduction models

As stated:

This is not a normal tyre review; in fact the tyre we test in the video below is still a prototype.

There's No reality here until they test a production tire. :wheel:

The Superbike article did not indicate preproduction like the video but............I dunno. Superbike liked it anyway and said the Roadsmarts were available in UK now.

Video is MCN

As stated:

There's No reality here until they test a production tire. :goofy:

The Superbike article did not indicate preproduction like the video but............I dunno. Superbike liked it anyway and said the Roadsmarts were available in UK now.

Video is MCN

It could be out and great, just that the only info I saw was on the prototype tire. wink.gif

Not a big Dunlop fan, just pulled of a front Qualifier with only 1600 miles on it because it was cupped badly and felt like shiet.

I do like their 209 GP Ntec for the track though! :wheel:

• Member Contributer

As stated:

There's No reality here until they test a production tire. :goofy:

Video is MCN

It could be out and great, just that the only info I saw was on the prototype tire. wink.gif

Not a big Dunlop fan, just pulled of a front Qualifier with only 1600 miles on it because it was cupped badly and felt like shiet.

I do like their 209 GP Ntec for the track though! :wheel:

Only ones I have had on were the OEM 204s...............

I could not find the Roadsmart on the UK site (or USA) but it looks out of date anyway.

In the superbike test (Dec 2007 issue) they only had 3 t...........yres - PR2, BT021 and the Roadsmart. It was a 2 day track and road test. But no bar graphs or numbers of any kind ............they just said the Roadsmarts outperformed in every test except turn in. BT21s did best there but was on the bottom for everything else. The Bridestones were the only ones available when I spooned them on last Spring.

Superbike has to be biased towards performance and I am not sure they care about mileage/wear but again no graphs/individual categories to find out. Bikes they tested with the tires included the VFR, 750 GSXR, Z750 and BMW 1200GT.

:wheel:

The latest motoport magazine also has a write-up on how good the new Dunlop is compared to it's competitors. The editor also attended the session at the Dunlop track a couple of months ago where they used the pre production tire. No mention thereof in the review though :salesman:

And it is not only the fact that the Dunlop was a pre production tire they used in this test, but also that they rode the competitors tires on the dry track in the morning when the track temparuters are likely a lot lower than after lunch.

Also this ssue of MP magazine where in the Dunlop review the Michelin PR2 came second to the Dunlop and was considered a lot better than the Bridgestone BT021, in the previous issue where the BT021 was reviewed the PR2 was at the bottom of the list of competitors. About a whole paragraph was dedicated to explaining why the PR2 sucked at almost everything. :joystick: Gives you an idea of how reliable some sources are.

October 3, 2007 - Kenny Pryde

Journalists were allowed..

Sounds like the writer of the article wasn't there himself. Hear say on a pre production tire: not very reliable info. I'd wait untill some German magazine has something to say about the new Dunlops.

For unabashed propaganda, check out www.dunlop-tire.com

Not only the Road Smarts are "under contruction" :D

• Member Contributer
October 3, 2007 - Kenny Pryde

Journalists were allowed..

Sounds like the writer of the article wasn't there himself. Hear say on a pre production tire: not very reliable info. I'd wait untill some German magazine has something to say about the new Dunlops.

For unabashed propaganda, check out www.dunlop-tire.com

Not only the Road Smarts are "under contruction" :D

Maybe they are "Dream Machine" Tires? Seems like the tire/tyre guys need some Internet Marketing help! wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Dunlop Roadsmart tyres

08 October 2007 - News & Reviews - Product Reviews

Dunlop obviously has a huge amount of faith in this tyre because at the launch last week they lined-up the same bikes fitted with rubber from their closest two rivals to allow journalists what seemed to be a fair back-to-back test. On the high-speed handling circuit at Mireval the Roadsmarts were tried first, followed by the two rivals. Another nod to the performance of these tyres was the fact that Dunlop had a small fleet of Suzuki's banzai GSX-R750 for us to try this sports-touring biased tyre on.

The race-to-road ethos has moved things on in Dunlop's sports tyre range - with the GP Racer/Racer Slick and Qualifier all benefiting from Dunlop's racing success in BSB, AMA and the smaller GP categories. The Roadsmart is no exception and its performance on a track was such that you had to keep reminding yourself that this isn't a track tyre. Tyre warm-up is quick, thanks again to technology from the racier members of the Sportsmax family and stability under braking for some of Mireval's numerous chicanes doesn't have the bike dancing about at all. Turn-in is impressive, allied to confidence-inspiring stability when cranked over, mid-turn. In comparison both the Michelins and the Bridgestones didn't have that stability on the brakes that the Dunlops had, while the Michelins seemed to flop into corners a little disconcertingly (disconcerting after the Dunlops, but fine when tested alone it has to be said.) Meanwhile the Bridgestones would have a mild shimmy when in the middle of a corner - far, far from dangerous before you ask, but they simply moved about a little. All-in-all the Dunlops were superior on the high-speed track. Added to the performance was the fact that Dunlop reckon that Roadsmarts will last 5% more than the tyres they replace - the D220ST - but only a long-term test in the real-world will tell.

Either way the two-day test left us very impressed with the Roadsmarts these tyres are highly recommended.

Star rating: *****

I dunno, dark chocolate or light chocolate...which do you prefer?

FWIW I love my Dunlop Qualifiers and I look forward to these for the VFR. If you ride hard, the Qualifier is done in about 4000mi; I get about the same mileage out of the tires on either the VFR or the TLR. Be nice to get more than that on the VFR. BTW, if you are running Dunlop tires, ask your local rep for a recomended tire preasure...my rep advised running 33 front on the VFR and 31 on the TLR...27psi at the track.

Dunlop Roadsmart tyres

All-in-all the Dunlops were superior on the high-speed track. Added to the performance was the fact that Dunlop reckon that Roadsmarts will last 5% more than the tyres they replace - the D220ST - but only a long-term test in the real-world will tell.

Either way the two-day test left us very impressed with the Roadsmarts these tyres are highly recommended.

Any idea if this test was done on the actual Production tire or still the Prototype versions like the other tests?

Also they make no reference to wear or street feel which are both important to buyers in this group, if they didn't last 25-50% then Qualifiers then I would have no interest. As I mentioned in a earlier post, I pulled my Qualifier front off after only 1600 miles from bad cupping and poor feel for my type of riding. :goofy:

• Member Contributer
Dunlop Roadsmart tyres

All-in-all the Dunlops were superior on the high-speed track. Added to the performance was the fact that Dunlop reckon that Roadsmarts will last 5% more than the tyres they replace - the D220ST - but only a long-term test in the real-world will tell.

Any idea if this test was done on the actual Production tire or still the Prototype versions like the other tests?

Also they make no reference to wear or street feel which are both important to buyers in this group, if they didn't last 25-50% then Qualifiers then I would have no interest. As I mentioned in a earlier post, I pulled my Qualifier front off after only 1600 miles from bad cupping and poor feel for my type of riding. +1.gif

THis looks to be the same early Oct journalist test that the Superbike Mag wrote up. Possible production tires as the first MCN preproduction clip/video was back in late June.

Superbike Mag Rider on Roadsmarts

Dunlop%20Roadsmart%20tyre.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

More info on the Roadsmarts from Motorcycle.com

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/preview...tire-75375.html

tn_Dunlop_RoadSmart_375O982.jpg

Have about 4.5k on my BT21s now and will get some new ST tires late Spring. By then I will see what the final tally on Stones is.

On the list:

Avon Storm?

PR2?

Roadsmart?

Archived