Wife Asks Why I Wear All The Gear!

pm_wizard

• Member Contributer

Should I be starting to worry??

As I got ready for a nice Sunday ride my wife (usually a cautious anti bike type) asked why I was wearing all the gear (head to foot).

"none of the riders we see around here wear the pants and the boots and the gloves, and its hot, do you really need that jacket?"

I carefully explained that I was protecting her investment, and I really didn't care how stupid other riders were, if my number comes up I want to be ready.

She is still not convinced!

Should I worry about her intentions?

John

I would tell her it's really a protective barrier needed to keep the hoards of flocking women from getting to the body that belongs only to her! :rolleyes:

Really, it's a just in case something did happen and you would be much less likely to get as hurt.

she probably see's more harley guys in tank top. Just say it because they like going staight. And you like to carve it up draggen' your knee. Well i wouldn't tell your wife that. Tell her you safely, Cautiously, at a safe speed, with a ton of relfectors, go on some what windy roads safely. And you never know what around the bend. Just say safely A LOT!

John

What direction is her concern or questioning headed?

Why your riding?

Why your buying gear?

What"?

Huh.

My wife gives me the third degree if I don't wear all the gear. Possibly because twice when I had arranged to meet her for lunch I crashed on the way; once when a pedestrian outwitted all my attempts to not run her over, and the second time (when I'd just got the bike back from the NZ$3800 worth of damage the pedestrian caused) when I was about 100m away from our rendezvous and a BMW driver changed lanes without warning.

I wish my wife would tell me my jacket looks really bad and I should buy a new one...

• Member Contributer

You're a lot more likely to come home, not miss work and help pay the bills.........usually the best logic.............. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

There was a brief question about buying the gear, but this thing came up as a suited up to go out. I think it true she sees more Harley riders around without gear, and wonders why I need it....

Baileyrock: she doesn't get any part of motorcycling. I have (off and on) been riding for over 40 years, and "only" married for 27 years, so bikes came first! But I would have thought she would want to protect my sensitive bod rather than see me covered in road rash.

She objected to the hi-Viz roadmaster suit from Aerostich, then saw me coming up the road on a dark wet night and understood that part of the use, I just don't want to demonstrate the need by hurting the bike!

John

I went to the Harley Store Looking for a DOT Rated Bandana and the Nice Cool mesh Tanktop that would protect me but they must have been out of stock. My wife questioned it for a while but understood when she started riding and went down in a parking lot doing 10mph it makes it easy once they on in the driver seat. And if I put on gear and ride in Phoenix when it is registering 112 out the to hot argument should be out th e window.

I really hate to see a guy riding in full gear and his girlfriend on the back in short shorts and a tank top, protect your rider the same you protect your self.

Baileyrock: she doesn't get any part of motorcycling. I have (off and on) been riding for over 40 years, and "only" married for 27 years, so bikes came first! But I would have thought she would want to protect my sensitive bod rather than see me covered in road rash.

John

So in 27 years she hasn't figured it out yet or did you just recently start wearing the gear? :rolleyes:

Don't forget every new piece of gear she sees you in should equal a new piece of gear (outfit/ jewelery) for her. She is getting jealous because you have more outfits then her now!

:goofy:

You ask her if she'd like to talk with my wife, Cass, who recently witnessed exactly how good my gear is. She was following me on her BMW R1100S when some non-observant fellow thought he'd turn left in front of me while I was travelling 45-50 mph. She saw every painful nanosecond of it unfold and when she came up on me where I finally rested (under a parked car) she thought I was dead, and I would've been if I hadn't had ALL THE GEAR on!

I used to think that I could get away with riding the 0.10 mile to the coffee shop with my Helmet, Gloves, Jacket, Safety Vest, Eye Protection, Boots, and JEANS. No sir, leather armored pants when I'm on the bike now-a-days; even if I'm going to the end of the driveway. I've got a $1,000 for anyone out there that thinks they can catch me not following the ATGATT rule :thumbsup:. Now there's a guarantee you can take to the bank!

Let me know. I can PM you the phone number.

Respectfully,

Tim

get her to read this:

Riding Without Gear - A Personal Choice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riding without boots and crashing might cost you some road rash or foot mash or even in an extreme case might lead to amputation. You might never walk without a limp. You might battle a weight and fitness problem for the rest of your life. You might never walk with pain. But it probably wouldn't kill you.

Riding without gloves and crashing might cost you some road rash or a Munched hand or the severe, excrutiating pain of mangling a body part rich with nerve endings. Or you could lose a finger or two. It could cost you the ability to play ball with your son, to properly feel the gentle curve of a womans breast, or to hold a beer. But it probably wouldn't kill you.

Riding without at least an armored jacket and leather trousers or full leathers or an Aerostich or even just a leather jacket and jeans and crashing might cost you serious road rash. You might grind off a nipple. You might embed gravel in your elbow. You might get beef jerky all over your back. You might grind off your kneecap or have a scar resembling Australia on you calf like a friend of mine does. You would be scarred for life and not be able to walk on a beach shirtless without feeling self conscious. You might end up like Kevin Spacey's character in "Pay It Forward" and have to deal with the same awkward moment every time you remove your clothes with a new lover. But it probably won't kill you.

Riding without a back protector and crashing in all but rare crashes would be inconsequential. However, there are so many variables out there- curbs, fenders, poles, guardrails, debris in the road- any one of these could be the golden BB that nicks your spinal cord in just the wrong way and leaves you in a wheelchair for life. Or, maybe you just have constant sciatic pain in one leg. Or you can't move your legs. Or you have to wear diapers for when you @#%$ yourself, and/or a colostomy bag you have to pull out of your pants leg and squeeze your waste out into the toilet at a bar like a guy I know. Or you can't move from the chest down. Or from the neck down. Are you good at working joysticks with your mouth? Or maybe you might need a respirator? Or 24 hour care? Certainly, there are impacts that are completely forseeable that would permanently injure you even with the best back protector in the world. But there are crashes and subsequent impacts that even mediocre back protectors can make that little bit of difference in- the ones you get up and walk away from, sore all over, but *walking*. Do you want the last time you walked to be when you walked out of 7-11 with a pack of smokes and then got on your bike? Those precious few steps out the door and over to the bike to be the five steps you remember the rest of your life because the next time you were off the bike you were lying strapped to a backboard staring at the headliner of an ambulance, tears running down your face because you couldn't feel the little piggies and you were almost ready to vomit at the stench of your @#%$ because you lost control of your bowels? Riding without a back protector and crashing might not make a difference, or it might make all the difference in the world. It might not kill you, but it might make you wish it had.

And, finally, helmets. Riding without a helmet and crashing might be of no consequence. You might never even touch terra firma with your head. Or you might give yourself an asphalt facelift. You might get a concussion that results in only a bad headache the next day. You might get a serious concussion that lands you in the hospital for endless CAT scans and MRIs, and for the rest of your days be plagued by migraines. You might fracture your orbital and lose your vision. You might fracture your skull and end up fully functional but with a horrible Frankenstein like scar and a metal plate that bothers you on cold days and sets of metal detectors in airports. You might have a closed head injury from which you don't awaken from for hours or days or weeks or months- all the while your mother, father, sister, brother, children, workmates, and/or riding buddies come a visit you, filling an utterly depressing hospital room into a gauche jungle of flowers and bright card saying "get well soon!" that you never see or smell. Sure, you might awaken completely normal besides the hole drilled in your head to reduce pressure. Or you might awaken a little fuzzy, unsure who these people are. Or you might awaken and have to re-learn everything it took you all your life to learn, eventually returning to normal or even better like Harrison Ford in "Regarding Henry". Or you might awaken a man-child, drooling and laughing as you try to stack blocks, wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt signed by your mother, father, sister, brother, children, workmates, and/or riding buddies- which you will never read. Or you might have an open head injury, from which the "you" you know will most likely never return. The rest of your life -be it a day, a week, a month, a year- will consist of feeding tubes, the endless beep and whoosh of the heart monitor and respirator, and the drip-drip or IV fluids, catheters in your rod, and feeding tubes. Of course, you won't mind all of this, you'll be in a dream land no one knows about. Your body will waste away and atrophy. Eventually, the shell that used to be you would give out, and your loved ones would have to make the most grueling decision of their life. Or, you might die on the road, fluffy gray brain matter mixing with blood and cerebro-spinal fluid. Perhaps you last ride would be twenty miles an hour down the street by your house combined with an impatient young driver and an ignored stop sign. Or perhaps it would be a ride on the freeway and a pothole denting your rim and popping the front tire off the bead sending you into the guardrail. Or you might go out in a blaze of glory qith a 100 mph wheelie ending the wrong way. Whichever way, would make maybe a 10 second news story depending on where you live, maybe a paragraph buried on page 32B of the paper. Riding without a helmet could be of no matter- or it could mean the difference between going on as you are now, or having life taken awy from you as if God flipped a switch.

I can live without toes or a mangled foot- but I choose to try and prevent that. I can live with a hand that looks like a burn victim's and maybe relearn to write with my left hand- but I choose to try and prevent that. I can live with a scar in the shape of Australia on my calf- but I try and prevent that. I can live with road rash on my torso and arms- but I try to prevent that. I could live in a wheelchair, agonizing through every day, but I chose to try and prevent that.

I can't live as a man-child. I've already played with blocks. I only drool when I sleep.

We all make choices. Gear can't always save you. All the best leather, denim, Cordura, Kevlar, fiberglass, and plastic is useless when fate throws the Immovable Object or the Irresistible Force in your path. But I choose to stack the deck in my favor. If it all ends up for naught and the stacked deck and the cards up my sleeve end up losing to Fate's royal flush, so be it. But I'll try.

-Author unknown-

• Member Contributer
I would tell her it's really a protective barrier needed to keep the hoards of flocking women from getting to the body that belongs only to her! :rolleyes:

Really, it's a just in case something did happen and you would be much less likely to get as hurt.

Thats what I told my wife.

She laughed and said that I don't really need it.

:unsure:

• Member Contributer

Just tell her that you're doing your best to protect your soft and sensitive skin all for her benefit...........hugging, etc. :P

This is a wierd one though :rolleyes:

Riding without gloves and crashing might cost you some road rash or a Munched hand or the severe, excrutiating pain of mangling a body part rich with nerve endings. Or you could lose a finger or two. It could cost you the ability to play ball with your son, to properly feel the gentle curve of a womans breast

Thats it, I am wearing 2 pairs from now on!

As I got ready for a nice Sunday ride my wife (usually a cautious anti bike type) asked why I was wearing all the gear (head to foot).

"none of the riders we see around here wear the pants and the boots and the gloves, and its hot, do you really need that jacket?"

I carefully explained that I was protecting her investment, and I really didn't care how stupid other riders were, if my number comes up I want to be ready.

John

Has she recently taken a large life insurance policy out on you? :rolleyes:

Show her this: Live to Ride, Ride to Die (Not really work safe). sad.gif :rolleyes:

Oh my gosh, if my wife say this, she would never let me ride - ATGATT or not! But it is a great reminder to stay within your limits, wear the gear, and take your ego out of the ride and simply enjoy.

Be safe friends, Colonel

My girlfriend asked me "Do we really need to wear all of this stuff to ride a motorcycle?"

I said "no"....."we have to wear all of this stuff in case we end up not riding a motorcycle"

John

Sounds like Harley material to me. Tell her you ride too fast to wear just jeans. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I had a guy make fun of me at work because i was wearing my gear (leather boots gloves full face armor) on a very hot and humid day. I told him it was better than being dead or covered in road rash because of an unforeseen get off. He asked me if i was planning to crash. I told him yes because i could see the conversation was not going anywhere.

Sometimes people just do not get it. She is getting conflicting information, she sees all these riders with no gear and then you with atgatt.

Quite possibly she is jealous. I make sure when i buy some gear, the bf gets some too..

Archived