Diy Tire Changing Gear?

KanadianKen

I have a wheel balancer now, and i plan to get a tire changing "System".

What do you guys suggest, that have a set up already? I have heard that some equipment marks the sh#t out of rims - how do you get around that?

Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

Ken I've got the Harbor Freight set that's pretty popular around here. I tried using the No Mar mount/dismount bar with it but wasn't too impressed. The plastic (delrin?) tip would bend too easily. Now I just use the HF steel bar to remove and levers/rim savers to install. My rims are scratched but it gives them that authentic "end of season AMA privateer" look. :thumbsup: :pissed:

• Member Contributer

tire irons and lots of rim protectors. I use a 15" car rim lined with tubing on the lip and a long peice of all thread to mount rim to a bench. It works well and I haven't scratched any rims, but I aint going to lie it can be a PITA. Especially if you don't have an extra set of hands. Pilot Powers aren't too bad, but I changed a set of Diablo's and the sidewall must be thicker on those tires because it took two of us several tries and a lot of cursing to get them off/on.

I'm really thinking about getting a complete Nomar tire changer this summer. I know many use the HF tire changer, but most that I have talked to said it sux and scratches their rims all to hell.

If your new to change'n tires, your rims could take a good beat'n the first couple of times, along with your hands. :lol: If ya have a friend with a dirt bike, practice on his dirt wheels first. :thumbsup:

It is not hard, it's just like most things, it becomes easier with practice and good gear.

• Member Contributer

Is there no such thing as just a good set of tire spoons and rim protectors, and if so where do we get them?

• Member Contributer
Is there no such thing as just a good set of tire spoons and rim protectors, and if so where do we get them?

motion pro

• Member Contributer

Ken, a riding buddy and I just picked up the Harbor Freight unit in the fall, we just got around to putting it together last weekend, looks well enough made, especially considering how inexpensive it is, we just drove down over the border to the nearest store and picked it up, the border guard was in a good mood when we came back, let us off without paying any duty or GST to boot. I'm just about ready to do my first tyre change as rear is very close to the wear marks, VERY close. I'll let you know how it goes.

Which balancer did you get? I ordered the Marc Parnes one, really nice guy to deal with and the unit looks really well made.

• Member Contributer

I use a Marc Parnes balancer. Well made. Works great.

• Member Contributer
Ken, a riding buddy and I just picked up the Harbor Freight unit in the fall, we just got around to putting it together last weekend, looks well enough made, especially considering how inexpensive it is, we just drove down over the border to the nearest store and picked it up, the border guard was in a good mood when we came back, let us off without paying any duty or GST to boot. I'm just about ready to do my first tyre change as rear is very close to the wear marks, VERY close. I'll let you know how it goes.

Take a good look at the "hooks" that hold the rim. It might be to your advantage to cover them with something. They scratch things like the lips of the rims.

Which balancer did you get? I ordered the Marc Parnes one, really nice guy to deal with and the unit looks really well made.

:thumbsup:

Marc is a good guy. He is fair and easy to do business with. His balancer is a good piece of equipment.

It can also double as a wheel truing stand for lack of a better term. All you need is a pointer on top of a coffee can.

Don't forget to buy some weights.

• Member Contributer

motion pro

Yup, that's the stuff, thanks mate.

• Member Contributer

:thumbsup: Ken you sneaky bastage. Tire balancer eh? Tire changer next huh? :rolleyes: Ok I know you need new skins, so does Crew and a few other canuckleheads in your area. When you have the oh sh** marked another rim down to " hey I think I have the hang of this" give me a shout :goofy: I will hold the flashlight :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Take a good look at the "hooks" that hold the rim. It might be to your advantage to cover them with something. They scratch things like the lips of the rims.

We were looking at those and thinking the same thing, I was thinking of wrapping them with hockey tape, does anyone know if you can buy a liquid plastic type thing I can dip them in, which would set hard enough to work, I thought I'd seen something somewhere people used for handles of pliers etc.

Don't forget to buy some weights.

Thanks yeah I ordered a bunch from Marc at the same time as the balancer, free shipping that way. :thumbsup:

does anyone know if you can buy a liquid plastic type thing I can dip them in, which would set hard enough to work,

Put a piece of bicycle (inner) tube around the tire irons.

I just use two 9 inch tire iron I got off ebay and a whole lot of muscle. I've scratched my rims just a little bit, but that's because I don't really care enough to try and prevent it since I stripped the paint off my wheels for a more natural color. The trick is to figure out how the tire wants to come on/off. I can change a tire in about 30 mins right now, half of which I spend trying to break the bead with a combination of a C-Clamp and some tire iron action.

+1 for:

Harbor Freight with rubber covers for the clamps (dip in plastic stuff), no-mar demount bar, marc parnes balancer, some extra tire irons (pro motion) but I don't really need them.

Make sure you get good tire lube like the stuff from No-mar (that is THE key to an easy install).

In any case watch the videos on No-mar's website for technique as well as reading HS's write up.

• Member Contributer

1) old car rim with a length of split garden hose over the lip.

2) three 15" metal irons I found at a swap meet.

3) two pairs of K&L plastic rim protectors. (Motion Pro sells the same ones.)

If you can't find the rim protectors, cut the tops & bottoms off empty plastic pop/shampoo/dishsoap/whatever bottles & slit them down the side for a quick alternative.

I have the HF changer and several tire irons. I coated most of the stuff in a product called "plastidip" that I got a Lowes/Home Depot. I scratched the hell out of my rims with the stock stuff. The dipped irons work OK but it starts tearing off if things aren't going smoothly. After a very frustrating solo tire change, I said f* it and went full bore ahead rims be damned. I ended up just spray painting my rim with auto touch up paint (actually looks pretty good) and then started looking for a new method. I ended up with the No-Mar tire bar. I used it last time and it worked great. The front worked about as easily as their video shows. The rear was a little more difficult, but it went 100X's better than before with no scratches from the No-Mar. I still had to use an iron to get the last little bit over which caused the only mark (I hadn't re-dipped the iron). I expect the next time will be better. Bottom line for me... it beats the hell out of paying dealer prices for tires and/or mounting.

BTW, try using ratchet tie downs around the new tire to push/pull it into the center of the rim so you can get that last little bit over.

I've got a gallon of this if you need it Ken, for dipping things in

gallery_7079_2026_4639.jpeg

21XCRNF9NFL.jpeg

Loctite - Color Guard

Inhibits rust and corrosion; seals, insulates and identifies almost any material in minutes. Creates a non-slip gripping surface. Rubber coating won't crack or chip. Acid and alkali resistant. Lasts for years. Use to 200°F.

• Member Contributer

We were looking at those and thinking the same thing, I was thinking of wrapping them with hockey tape, does anyone know if you can buy a liquid plastic type thing I can dip them in, which would set hard enough to work, I thought I'd seen something somewhere people used for handles of pliers etc.

Yeah, my buddy used the tool-dip and it has worked well so far. I used tire spoons and old garden hose over the rim but will probably buy some rim-savers. The rear tire was pretty easy, but the front was hard (it took two of us). We used Pledge for lube, but something else might work better.

• Member Contributer

2 Tire Irons

My cage - the bead breaker

Dynobeads - works wonders

A few pieces of cardboard to protect them rims...

That's all.

Oh, almost forgot... BEER :rolleyes:

I have been using the HF for about 5 years now. Rim savers so work, but make sure they don'e fall into the rim. I usually only scratch the rims when I think I have a good grip on the bead, when it slips and ultimately leaves a scratch. That is where the rim savers come in. I bought the MotionPro blue rim savers, but they are crap. Way toooooo soft. A second helper always helps, but is not required. Oh, I can't figure out now to use the HF bar without scratching things up, so I use 3 long tire irons.

Archived