Pirelli Diablo Strada Vs Michelin Pilot Road

Guest MrZ

Guest 767fixer

i think a lot of people wear differences is strictly the road contsruction because either way it is normally the center that wears out first. I had gotter 11,000 miles from michelin macadam 90's on the ducati and still had life left till i took a nail. the VFR went nearly 8000 miles on diablo strada's. and now i have nearly 2000 miles on Pilot Race soft compounds on the Gsxr and they arent flat spotting the way i thought they would in short time.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 767fixer
I'm switching from DOT race tires back to High Performance Street tires

after reading Sport Riders shoot out where they sampled all the

different tire categories to test how they stack up... In summary:

How many threads are you going to post this same thing in?

i would have brought that up myself....but then i would have been placed on another 3 day vacation :unsure: at least it wasnt posted in the "new" disable your vtec thread

• Member Contributer
i would have brought that up myself....but then i would have been placed on another 3 day vacation :unsure: at least it wasnt posted in the "new" disable your vtec thread

I guess you're the red-headed stepchild, Fixer. wink.gif I just haven't tried hard enough to get banned, yet.

I had the Stradas on my 02 XX. Great grip really good mileage and very nutral handling. I highly recomend them. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I loved my Pilot Roads when I first got them. Now I have almost 10k on them, and they suck. I'd guess they were good for about 6k or 7k. There is still some tread left, but they are pretty worthless. Not very stable in the tight stuff. Follows road grooves really bad at highway speeds. Almost no feedback now. That is completely opposite how they were when new.

I've not yet tried the Strada's, but I probably will this time around (unless the Road 2CTs make it here soon enough for me)

I looked at a pair of Pilot Road 2CT yesterday at my local shop. The carcass of the PR2CT is not rigid like the old PRs. It is softer and more pliable - closer to the structure of a Pilot Power. I'm still deciding, but for my use, I think that I will stick with the standard Pilot Powers.

Mr. Z,

Thanks for asking this question. I had just talked to my shop about getting another set of Pilot Roads and then I read all these replies and now I've ordered Stradas. My Pilot Roads do feel a little unsure now that they've wore down.

I love this site for this reason.

Thanks for everybody's input.

The new TWO magazine has a really good article in it about how Colin Edwards has been developing the new Road 2CT tires for Michelin. They did tests in the rain and recorded the lap times to some really sticky tires that everybody loved for comparison. I'll try to post up the text the next day or so.

• 4 weeks later...
Mr. Z,

Thanks for asking this question. I had just talked to my shop about getting another set of Pilot Roads and then I read all these replies and now I've ordered Stradas. My Pilot Roads do feel a little unsure now that they've wore down.

I love this site for this reason.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Hello, all! Got Stradas installed. Put about 300 miles on them. First impression is very good. Based on it, Diable Strada is a better tire then OEM BT-020 I had before. Basically, I can lean at 45 mph speed on highway ramps with confedence and with less effort then on new BT-020 ( now replaced by BT-021). It feels the Stradas are very sticky and traction is good at all weather conditions.

Hello, all! Got Stradas installed. Put about 300 miles on them. First impression is very good. Based on it, Diable Strada is a better tire then OEM BT-020 I had before. Basically, I can lean at 45 mph speed on highway ramps with confedence and with less effort then on new BT-020 ( now replaced by BT-021). It feels the Stradas are very sticky and traction is good at all weather conditions.

Well duh! :unsure:

Of course you like them, were not just pretty VFRD faces! :rolleyes:

Glad you like them. BTW any new S or ST tire will feel better than the stock rubber in general. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Stradas are very good at sitting on the fence of traction, without severe wear , But My strada rear only yielded about 4,000 mile not good enough

I'm now sporting a z6 front with pilot road rear

• Member Contributer

6,000 mi on the strata's. Now into Corsa 3's, and I love them that much more.

EVEN worn out stradas are taller tires than Brand NEW pilot roads significantly

My intial pilot road breakin , I'm not impressed at all Id prefer my Worn out Pirelli strada back

not that they broke loose, they have no feel , they squatted my rear end and screwed up my handling

• 3 weeks later...

I have put 9500 mis & 10,500 mis on 2 rear pilot roads on my '02 VTec...the Stradas are about done after 6-7k mis, although this 5k mi trp has been many hwy mis...the center is gone but tread is ok on the sides. I would like to try Avon AM 55/56 tires, but will replace my rear w/ the pilot roads tom.

I will soon be in Muncton, New Brunswick, Canada to buy the rear tom morn for $250-$300 Canadian, (almost = to US $s) Anyone got a better idea to purchase tires fast over here in Canada? American Tire sells them for $145 or so...they don't take calls effectively as I recall & shipping may cost too much from AZ to where I am if expidited.

Anyway, I have the Stradas on all 3 bikes, but they were a good buy & handle well...The Pilot roads have outlasted Dunlop, Bridgestone and now Pirelli.

i just put michelin pilot roads on my bike. guess i'm the dissenting voice, but i really like them. i'm not a shredder, not a lot of cornering/twisty riding, mostly highway and long-distance. they feel very capable and stable.

they are however not like sport tires, they are very flat and round rather than v-shaped or oval-shaped unlike the sport tires.

i can't speak to long-term characteristics since they are new. but they inspire confidence in my riding, and they stick just as well as the bridgestones, or the stock dunlops.

if you want a high-mileage tire - pilot roads

if you want stickiness and cornering - pilot power, bt021, stradas, conti attacks, etc.

if you want a high-mileage tire - pilot roads

if you want stickiness and cornering - pilot power, bt021, stradas, conti attacks, etc. ))))))))

I think that is a fair statement, its a milege tire , not a handling tire

I have about a 1000 miles on my rear pilot road and it does wear well, but I hate it otherwise

I"ve made comments that I had alot of spin issues with Avon st45, many didnt like, and I've been thinking which would I rather have the pilot road or the avon ST 45?

i cant come up with an answer

• 2 years later...
Well, folks,

After putting 11100 miles on the stock BT020 (did Iron Butt ride on them!), it is time to replace them. I was thinking about cheap Dunlop 220s, but figured I do not like to change them after 6000 miles. Now considering Pirelli Diablo Strada versus Michelin Pilot Road. Any suggestions, folks? I like the look of Pirelli and I can get them cheaper then Michelin, but in a long run... Please advice!

Hi, I put the Power pilot on my 97 VFR Wow, they are Great...

Well, folks,

After putting 11100 miles on the stock BT020 (did Iron Butt ride on them!), it is time to replace them. I was thinking about cheap Dunlop 220s, but figured I do not like to change them after 6000 miles. Now considering Pirelli Diablo Strada versus Michelin Pilot Road. Any suggestions, folks? I like the look of Pirelli and I can get them cheaper then Michelin, but in a long run... Please advice!

Yes, just installing the quick turning PP's will transform most any bike and especially a VFR coming off any factory installed stock tire! :cool:

Try the Pilot Road 2 rear with the Pilot Power front, this combo provides 30-50% more mileage from the rear w/o any loss in grip!

Well now 2 years later than this threads start, the Pilot Road 2 kicks aZZ on the Strada and most any other ST tire out there IMO! :laugh:

put 1000 miles on strada befor putting on PR2s. While close, the PR2 has better feel, better grip and longer life than the stradas.

but even if grip and wear were the same, the handling on the PR2 would sell me. ridiculously good tyre. (and mine are made in spian)

Well, folks,

Yes, just installing the quick turning PP's will transform most any bike and especially a VFR coming off any factory installed stock tire! :cool:

Try the Pilot Road 2 rear with the Pilot Power front, this combo provides 30-50% more mileage from the rear w/o any loss in grip!

Well now 2 years later than this threads start, the Pilot Road 2 kicks aZZ on the Strada and most any other ST tire out there IMO! :blink:

I notice a lot of people are saying 'Pilot Roads' as opposed to Pilot Road 2CTs.

There is a WORLD of difference between the two, as Bailey (and myself included) can attest.

Simply put, multi compound tires like the Road 2s give you the mileage of the Roads, and seamlessly transistion to the cornering grip of a Power. The best of both worlds.

If you want quicker turn in, as Kevin states, go with the Power on the front. They generally last 2 times longer than the rear anyways. I think I'm going to try that next time, since I insisted on Powers before it left the shop new, and I do notice a slightly slower steering input reaction on the Road 2 front. Not like it's in a bad way though; just different.

Greg :laugh:

gallery_8015_3238_3591.jpg

Pilot Road 2

I notice a lot of people are saying 'Pilot Roads' as opposed to Pilot Road 2CTs.

There is a WORLD of difference between the two, as Bailey (and myself included) can attest.

Greg :cool:

gallery_8015_3238_3591.jpg

Pilot Road 2

Greg, you are dead on here except for one thing, you and others are calling the New Pilot Road 2 a Pilot Road 2CT! Yes, while it is of 2CT construction Michelin does NOT use 2CT in the name on the label. The label reads(at least here in the USA) Pilot Road 2! :blink:

The only tire they sell with 2CT in the name on the label is the Pilot Power 2CT's, I only point this out to help prevent any confusion when ordering like what happened to me. If you ask/order a Michelin with 2CT in the name you might get the PP 2CT like I got when I ordered a P Road 2, actually the retailer had them labeled Wrong on their web site as a Road 2ct and teh warehouse guy just grabbed the only rear with 2CT on the label and sent me a PP 2CT instead! :laugh:

Yes, it is a 2CT tire, but Michelin doesn't include the ''CT"in the name. :goofy:

BR

btw my sets of PP front with P Road 2 rears last 1 to 1, in other words they wear out as a set at the same time! :goofy:

• Member Contributer
Yes, it is a 2CT tire, but Michelin doesn't include the ''CT"in the name. :laugh:

IIRC, everywhere outside of the US, the "Pilot Road 2" is called the "Pilot Road 2CT."

• Member Contributer
btw my sets of PP front with P Road 2 rears last 1 to 1, in other words they wear out as a set at the same time! :laugh:

I'm currently running PR2's front and rear, and the front is wearing out much quicker. But I think it may have come installed with a slow leak, seems like I'm adding air to it more often than not, and the running at lower pressures is causing it to wear out.

Archived