Pirelli Diablo Strada Vs Michelin Pilot Road

Guest MrZ

Guest MrZ

Well, folks,

After putting 11100 miles on the stock BT020 (did Iron Butt ride on them!), it is time to replace them. I was thinking about cheap Dunlop 220s, but figured I do not like to change them after 6000 miles. Now considering Pirelli Diablo Strada versus Michelin Pilot Road. Any suggestions, folks? I like the look of Pirelli and I can get them cheaper then Michelin, but in a long run... Please advice!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have stradas front and back and love them. Cyclegear has a deal on them. Check the bargin finder forum. the info is there

• Member Contributer

+1.gif for Stradas

I have stradas front and back and love them. Cyclegear has a deal on them. Check the bargin finder forum. the info is there

Stradas are great. I had them on the bike at the TMac ride and have no complaints. They stuck very well and did not get greasy.

I ride at a rapid PACE and will never run P-Roads again. If you push at all(that's a relative term) they Suck IMO, the most VEG feeling Tires I've ever pushed! <_<

The Strada's are far superior IMO in every way, you can still slide them when pushing, but at least there predictable when doing so!

But that's just me! :unsure:

:goofy: for the Stradas. Great mileage - solid and reliable performance, they warm up quickly and exhibit neutral handling and hold up well when riding on the boil. Now as to the question of how anybody gets 11k miles or more out of a set of tires is beyond my comprehension :unsure: coz at best I get *maybe* 4k from something sticky like the current set of Diablos I'm running, and I got almost 7k from the last set of Stradas I had on my bike... and by the time I was done with 'em I could almost see the air inside! :lol:

Well, folks,

After putting 11400 miles on the stock BT020 (did Iron Butt ride on them!), it is time to replace them. I was thinking about cheap Dunlop 220s, but figured I do not like to change them after 6000 miles. Now considering Pirelli Diablo Strada versus Michelin Pilot Road. Any suggestions, folks? I like the look of Pirelli and I can get them cheaper then Michelin, but in a long run... Please advice!

Geez I have never seen anywhere over 4500 miles even on my BT020's or any other S/T tires. I just gave up on tire life on and just run sport tires and change them every 2500-3000 miles. I wish I could get more miles w/ better grip but don't we all.

Well, folks,

After putting 11400 miles on the stock BT020 (did Iron Butt ride on them!), it is time to replace them. I was thinking about cheap Dunlop 220s, but figured I do not like to change them after 6000 miles. Now considering Pirelli Diablo Strada versus Michelin Pilot Road. Any suggestions, folks? I like the look of Pirelli and I can get them cheaper then Michelin, but in a long run... Please advice!

Geez I have never seen anywhere over 4500 miles even on my BT020's or any other S/T tires. I just gave up on tire life on and just run sport tires and change them every 2500-3000 miles. I wish I could get more miles w/ better grip but don't we all.

Folks, I can send picture of the bike with odometr reading for those who in doubt, I have 11338 mile on the odometr with original BT020 tires, I guess, I was very gentle on them...only tried 155 mph once, not every day - like some of you do :-) Now, any opinons on Dunlop Qualifiers? If not, I am going with Stradas. Thanks a million for prompt replays!

• Member Contributer

Is this an apples-to-apples comparison? Pilot Roads are fairly stale technology, superceded by Pilot Powers and 2CT's. Pilot Powers, IMO, are superior to the Stradas and somewhat close in price. That's just from my brief experience running Stradas and putting a few hunnerd on my PP's.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure somebody will shoot it down. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Had Stradas on my Repsol CBR1000RR......but those Pilot Powers on my VFR.....MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm....................................................... :thumbsup:

Is this an apples-to-apples comparison? Pilot Roads are fairly stale technology, superceded by Pilot Powers and 2CT's. Pilot Powers, IMO, are superior to the Stradas and somewhat close in price. That's just from my brief experience running Stradas and putting a few hunnerd on my PP's.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure somebody will shoot it down. :unsure:

bang, bang! :goofy:

Actually your mixing two different categories here birdman.

Strada's and Pilot Roads are ST (sport touring tires) where the Pilot Power (& 2tc) are their Sport tire. Pilot are the current ST tire from Michelin until the newly released Pilot Road 2TC hits the shores of the US later this year. The Stradas with turn in much better than the Roads too as the profile is not as flat as the Roads.

You are dead on correct saying that Pilot Powers are better! There better than most anything out there, but they are a fast wearing Sport tires( I get less than 2300 miles from a rear). That's all I use (Pilot Powers) :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I had 2900 on the Pilot Powers, and I figure I could have "stretched" em' to 6000 the way it was looking.....short life span on a tire for me, but another set would have followed simply because of the increased feel and confidence........ :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Dunlop quality has taken a big hit in recent years. You can actually feel the difference between French made Dunlops (the good ones) and the crap made here. Stay away from the Dunlops.

Get the Stradas and let us know how you like 'em. I think they are the best of the three tires you are comparing.

• Member Contributer

Now, any opinons on Dunlop Qualifiers? If not, I am going with Stradas. Thanks a million for prompt replays!

I have ridden them and I loved them but I only got 2800 miles out of a rear and only 5600 out of the front. Super sticky and nice but gone in 60 second for sure. Here is a link to a great place to get tires cheap.

Best price I have found on stradas

I run the Metzeler Z6 Roadtecs. Last alot longer and stick really well

Bets price I have found on Z6 Roadtecs

*NOTE PAGE LOADS SLOWLY SOMETIMES YOU MAY NEED TO TRY MORE THEN ONCE*

• Member Contributer

Is anyone using a Diablo Sport on the front and Strada on the rear, like the once popular BT-010/BT-020 combination?

I've been happy with Bridgestone, but would like to experiment with the more triangular Pirellis.

Is anyone using a Diablo Sport on the front and Strada on the rear, like the once popular BT-010/BT-020 combination?

I've been happy with Bridgestone, but would like to experiment with the more triangular Pirellis.

I've used that combo before and was pretty happy, but with the way I ride I would still get the rear to slide once in a while and with only getting aprox. 400 more miles from them(20% about 2400 from a Strada rear) I just went back to standard Diablo's F&R.

The only thing I didn't like about the Diable front is that it didn't hold it's profile long enough and steering would suffer slightly if you tried to get more miles from them. :pissed:

No other tire I've used seems to hold it's front profile better than the Pilot Power. Powers are my standard for the last 30k. :thumbsup:

I got about 8,500 miles out of a set of Pilot Roads, but they seemed to get real unpredictable - squirrelly, even - after about 7,000 (they still had plenty of tread left when I replaced them). Because of that, I'll never buy them again. I switched to the Diablo Stradas about 2,000 miles ago, and so far I've been very pleased with them. My main use is commuting with the occasional weekend run through the twisty bits.

• Member Contributer
I got about 8,500 miles out of a set of Pilot Roads, but they seemed to get real unpredictable - squirrelly, even - after about 7,000 (they still had plenty of tread left when I replaced them)installing and only get worse from there. Because of that, I'll never buy them again. I switched to the Diablo Stradas about 2,000 miles ago, and so far I've been very pleased with them. My main use is commuting with the occasional weekend run through the twisty bits.

Roads have a bad profile, they do not like to lean over, and when they get leaned over they fight you to go back upright. Anywhere near the edge they wander around and it feels like you are going to lowside. Fronts get cupped in about 3000 miles so badly that the bars oscillate when in a corner. With a few thousand on the rear it would slide on every corner exit even with very small throttle openings.

OK, folks, ordered Stradas from South West Motor tires 5 mins ago. Thanks all for your input!

Hope the Seller is reputable and will get everything shipped as promissed - same day. If any of you dealt with this place before, how would you rate them? I trust you guys for referring me to them, hope they are good and honest.

MrZ

• Member Contributer

Man,

I guess im the only one who had an ok experiance with roads. Granted the front and rear were BLUE when i got done with them.... :pissed:

OK, folks, ordered Stradas from South West Motor tires 5 mins ago. Thanks all for your input!

Hope the Seller is reputable and will get everything shipped as promissed - same day. If any of you dealt with this place before, how would you rate them? I trust you guys for referring me to them, hope they are good and honest.

MrZ

Excellent sellers! I've bought many sets from them with no problems whatsoever! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Please advice!

I'm switching from DOT race tires back to High Performance Street tires

after reading Sport Riders shoot out where they sampled all the

different tire categories to test how they stack up... In summary:

They gathered a lot of data during this test and learned a lot about each

tire and our own preferences for tires. Much of the objective data show

the more track-oriented tires to be superior when it comes to lap times

or speed,and certainly that is the case. However,on both street and

track that increasing performance comes with more of a requirement

from the rider. Setup is more important with the grippier tires, stability

and compliance suffer,and conditions have to be just right to access

that extra traction. Over 80 percent of our street test loop,the four

types of tires averaged within a couple mph of one another,a strong indication

that factors other than what tire you are on dictate your pace on the road.

Surprise No.1 for us was just how capable the sport-touring tires are,

especially on the street. If you're not looking for that last

10 percent of performance from your bike,sport-touring tires have

excellent traction and predictability and will provide thousands of

miles of use.

Surprise NO.2 was how good sport tires were on the track. Both

brands provided great,consistent performance,lapping an average of

just a half-second off the DOT race buns. They carded the best scores

on the street portion of the test and required little in the way of

set up to get comfortable with.

Surprise NO.3 was just how much the DOT race tires sacrificed on

the street compared with the sport and hybrid tires. Neither of our

riders felt comfortable on the majority of the test loop with the race

tires, and even though the tires have incredible grip levels and are amazingly

fun on a fast,smooth road,that performance is not worth the trade off

that must be made the rest of the time. At the race track the DOT race

tires are clearly a step above the street tires, and there is even

more of a performance gap than our lap times indicate-both our riders

felt they could go faster than they did with more set up time. Again,that is the

price that must be paid for great grip and steering from a race tire.

The final piece of the puzzle is this: To get the best performance,

you must be honest with yourself when it comes to choosing a tire.

They given you the answers. You just need to figure out what questions

to ask yourself.

SPORT-TOURING

DUNLOP D220ST AND MICHELIN PILOT ROAD

Rating Street: 78.7 Track: 75.5 Average lap time: 1:12.72

......Street v Track

General:. 7.7 7.5

Braking;. 8.0 8.0

Traction; 7.9 7.8

Steering; 7.6 7.2

SPORT

DUNLOP SPORT MAX QUALIFIER AND MICHELIN PILOT POWER

Rating Street:89.5 Track:87.3 Average lap time: 1:08.90

......Street v Track

General:. 9.0 8.9

Braking;. 8.9 8.7

Traction; 9.0 8.7

Steering; 8.8 8.4

HIGH-PERFORMANCE SPORT STREET

DUNLOP D208GP AND MICHELIN PILOT POWER 2CT

Rating Street:89.3 Track:88.8 Average lap time: 1:08.97

......Street v Track

General:. 8.8 8.8

Braking;. 9.0 9.0

Traction; 9.2 8.9

Steering; 8.6 8.8

DOT RACE

DUNLOP SPORT MAXGP AND MICHELIN POWER RACE

Rating Street:89.4 Track:92.8 Average lap time: 1:08.447

......Street v Track

General:. 8.4 9.1

Braking;. 9.3 9.5

Traction; 9.3 9.6

Steering; 9.3 9.3

RACE SLICKS

DUNLOP KR106/108 AND MICHELIN PILOT

Rating Street: NAT rack:93.2 Average lap time: 1:08.23

.........Track

General:. 9.0

Braking;. 9.5

Traction; 9.9

Steering; 9.1

I only have one bike... it's set up for the rigors of racing plus sport riding and touring... so a single tire

choice is critical if I want to cut low lap times and still satisfy my street requirements... lucky for me

Metzeler makes such a tire called Rennsport Road... only trouble is they don't import this hoop to the

USA anymore... no problem... I found them on the UK Ebay site...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/METZELER-RENNSPORT-P...2QQcmdZViewItem

Metzeler Rennsport Road / Street

"Tyre developed for racing oriented riders using race technology for top dry

performance on normal road and high satisfaction on the racetrack"

a.. Fast and direct handling for very high performance riding on normal roads, for delayed braking and

rapid direction changes

b.. Compound deriving from racing experience for outstanding grip and very

fast warm up: the slick-like behaviour allows fast cornering with very high safety margins

c.. The 0° steel belt structure provides great degree of control and stability in all conditions, especially

when powering out of corners, giving excellent feedback

My Metzeler Rennsport High Performance *Street* tires after a Thunder Hill Track day...

1500MilesRennsportStreetF.jpg

1500MilesRennsportStreetR.jpg

Archived