When The Suede Look Turns Rough

Chev

• Member Contributer

I just got back from a little jaunt. My post flight inspeciton showed that my front tire no longer looks like lightly scuffed suede, but it looks like the most used part of the front is getting pretty torn up. I thought of Bailyrock's front tire, although it is not nearly that bad. It is more like somewhere between a notmal amount of suede and his craziness.

I'm running Dunlop 205 radials in the stock sizes and the wear bars show plenty left. I have the F2 conversion in the works, but it is NOT ready yet. I'm still a month or two away, or I thought I was.

I was riding a bit harder than I normally do, it was a good ride. :rolleyes: I was also on a rougher surface road most of the trip. not really torn up road, just old, and not smooth.

Am I just using my tires?

• Member Contributer
I just got back from a little jaunt. My post flight inspeciton showed that my front tire no longer looks like lightly scuffed suede, but it looks like the most used part of the front is getting pretty torn up. I thought of Bailyrock's front tire, although it is not nearly that bad. It is more like somewhere between a notmal amount of suede and his craziness.

I'm running Dunlop 205 radials in the stock sizes and the wear bars show plenty left. I have the F2 conversion in the works, but it is NOT ready yet. I'm still a month or two away, or I thought I was.

I was riding a bit harder than I normally do, it was a good ride. :rolleyes: I was also on a rougher surface road most of the trip. not really torn up road, just old, and not smooth.

Am I just using my tires?

Just MHO, riding harder on a rough road surface will do it. There's an area in 'Bama where the road is very abrasive but very curvy and I usually ride to my sensable limit and when I stop for a break, the suede look has turned to the chewed up look. I think you're just using the tire. Ride on a typical rural Texas chip and seal road and you might be horrified what it will do. Been there, done that and was pissed that Texas has such roads when I lived there. Just another free opinion.... smile.gif

• Member Contributer
Picture?

I should have known, right?

med_gallery_7350_2310_13309.jpg

The pic is really terrible. I don't have extreme closeup capabilities with my camera. I might be able to take some more tomorrow in the sun. You can see where it looks pretty mangled. I swear I don't have strips, that's just where there is normal wear. :rolleyes:

I'm goning to go with Bent's guess there. Seems reasonable......

• Member Contributer

Mr. Bent is probably "SPOT-ON"............................. :rolleyes: ....happens here on certain roads sometime................. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

That looks fine.

Make sure you have the correct Air Pressure.

Check them every time you ride.

Those don't even look roughed up yet. When you have gooey rubber pealing off the edges of the tread, and no chicken strips, then you are USING your tires.

For the record, my tires look just like yours.

• Member Contributer
Seems like a good excuse to spoon on some real tires, like Pilot Powers. :salesman:

Dump the Dunnies.

They don't make PPs in 16" fronts, otherwise I would seriously consider it. I am considering putting Powers on the F2 wheels when that conversion is done, though.

If I have to spoon new rubber on, I will go with the Metzler Lasertec Bias Plys. I really enjoyed them on my 700.

Have you tried leaning the bike? wink.gif

Thanks, but I am working on my positioning, and NOT leaning the bike underneath me. I am..... top heavy (48" chest 38" waist, arms that go with that shape, and a huge head), so that CG manipulation I do is VERY effective. I can keep the bike completely upright through most corners at legal speeds. I do hit the edges when my positioning is off, but if I were to be at full lean, while manipulating the center of gravity, I would be at speeds far too fast for the street. :goofy:

Lean the bike.... lol, how about you try leaning before the bike. :thumbsup: I look down and see road. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the opinioins, everyone. I've never seen wear this bad (even if the pic doesn't show it) from a bike that I've ridden. Definately, the melted balled up look in the area that looks worn there.

• Member Contributer
(even if the pic doesn't show it)

If your camera doesnot like close ups you could take the picture from a distance it does focus properly and use any imaging software to select the tire area only and resize.

Unless you have a 1.3MP camera ofcourse.....

Hmmm, a camera that doesnot focus up close.... I bet my wife would like that.... :rolleyes:

I was pretty happy when I got this nice suede action going on my Avons in Arizona:

gallery_5444_2144_129218.jpg

USA TOUR 2006 119.jpg The Avons liked Mt. Lemmon!!

But they're still no match for the master tire shredder! :rolleyes:

gallery_5444_2144_272826.jpg

USA TOUR 2006 053.jpg Breakfast at Leeper's Fork with Baileyrock

:P

• Member Contributer
Picture?

I should have known, right?

med_gallery_7350_2310_13309.jpg

The pic is really terrible. I don't have extreme closeup capabilities with my camera. I might be able to take some more tomorrow in the sun. You can see where it looks pretty mangled. I swear I don't have strips, that's just where there is normal wear. :goofy:

I'm goning to go with Bent's guess there. Seems reasonable......

I can tell enough from your pic that it's just abrasion and power coming together. Ride on a smooth road and it will go away...as in worn off! :wheel:

• Member Contributer
I can tell enough from your pic that it's just abrasion and power coming together. Ride on a smooth road and it will go away...as in worn off! :goofy:

Today's ride was smoother, and most for the roughness went away. By the next one, it should be back to normal. I am now just realizing how new these tires are and how different radials wear. The bias plys on my 700 seemed easier to understand.

Archived