Continental Tires? Really?

Stéphane

• Member Contributer

As the spring will surely arrive at one point, so will be my need to new tires. I will replace my BT002's with something more versatile.

So, the search for new tires has begun, and I have been reading a sh@# lot of reviews. While I had a rough idea about what I'd be getting, now I am more in the dark than I was before I was informed.

Continentals? There is no way I'd ever thought of even considering this an option.

Then I read this: Continental Attack

Ok, so what is going on here? Are they that good?

I want a tire that has grip and that is predictable (predictable seems to be the major drawback of the Michelin tires).

I like a triangular shape (e.i: an easy turn in tire)

I don't care much for life span.

I will go to track days - I will be taking my race course this year.

The review is on the Road Attack, I am thinking of Sport Attack (front for sure)

So, if you've experimented with these tires, please let me know if the article's claim holds water.

• Member Contributer

I bought the Road Attacks for my R6 and love them. They grip well and give good feedback, have a good life span but as far as track days go, I can't say. I can say that I have run my R6 up the Sandia Crest here in Albuquerque and can attest for their ability to stick through some heavy switch backs at moderate speeds.

They do have a sport version of the tires but I can't offer an opinion on them as I have never driven them myself. Here is the article that lead me to try the Road Attacks.

http://canyonchasers.net/reviews/accessories/road-attack.php

When my current tires on the VFR are up for change I am definitely going Road Attack.

:huh: Funny, I had just read the same article and was considering the Attacks. I guess I chickened out though and went for the new 'stones BT-021s which are supposed to be similar to the Attack's ST nature.

Nothing wrong with Continental as a tyre company though. They've been quality and innovative manufacturers for a long time...

As the spring will surely arrive at one point, so will be my need to new tires. I will replace my BT002's with something more versatile.

So, the search for new tires has begun, and I have been reading a sh@# lot of reviews. While I had a rough idea about what I'd be getting, now I am more in the dark than I was before I was informed.

Continentals? There is no way I'd ever thought of even considering this an option.

Then I read this: Continental Attack

Ok, so what is going on here? Are they that good?

I want a tire that has grip and that is predictable (predictable seems to be the major drawback of the Michelin tires).

The review is on the Road Attack, I am thinking of Sport Attack (front for sure)

So, if you've experimented with these tires, please let me know if the article's claim holds water.

I like the contis on my 99vfr..The last rear tire lasted me 6,800 miles and the front has 9,000 on it and it stills has very good grip in the wet/dry ...I run the conti attacks as they have a thicker tread and I erased any chicken strips when i rode the Dragon and had no slides or scares , just grip and go.

I dont run the full all out sport ,I run the Road attack.. Well thats all i can say ,OOPS I bought my tires online and the rear tire was $109 + shipping so total was $126 for the rear tire.

• Member Contributer
I bought my tires online and the rear tire was $109 + shipping so total was $126 for the rear tire.

Where did you buy them?

I got an estimate at $115 + $13 shipping (Tire Express).

Thanks for the input.

I think I will give them a try. Motorcyclist online tested them, and they say they are awesome for the road, and on B group trackdays, which is enough for me. See here:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/...k_radial_tires/

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a good deal. Got 8,000mi, out of mine. I like my Strata's more. (Personal pref.) Never got used to the softer sidewalls, on them. They never let me down, but felt like they may. Again, my opinion. For that price, I'd say, do it.

A bike mag rated them also high in a test for ST tires, was done on a track using a sport bike. Conti was even whit Metz Z6 in the test althru Conti had the biggest leanig angel, only 2 degrees from real sport tires.. One thing they sad thro was to make sure the tires where made in germany, the qvality aint as good on thous made in asia (= vibration in front).

• Member Contributer

I have a friend of mine who had put over 125,000 miles on his Superhawk, went through tires so fast price was a major factor. He regularly used Conti's, and I could never keep up with him through the twisties on my Superhawk with Sportec M1's. Now most of that was of course his riding ability, but he never had any problems with the Contis.

Excuse my ignorance, but what the &%$# are chicken strips?? Does that have something to do with the old "Why did the chicken cross the road"? I have a sneaking suspicion that you are all refering to bits of roadkill wedged and compacted in the tread-pattern grooves. :unsure: Or are they fish fingers?? :lol:

• Member Contributer
Excuse my ignorance, but what the &%$# are chicken strips?? Does that have something to do with the old "Why did the chicken cross the road"? I have a sneaking suspicion that you are all refering to bits of roadkill wedged and compacted in the tread-pattern grooves. :unsure: Or are they fish fingers?? :lol:

It's the unused portion of the tire at the edges. The farther you lean, the closer to the edge the scuffing. Some people use all of the tire, others have huge chicken strips because they are afraid to lean the bike farther than the kickstand takes it.

• Member Contributer

I tried a Road Attack rear on my 99. I felt grip and feel were better than an 020 and equal to an Azaro or Pilot Road on dry but not as good on wet pavement. Unfortunately it lasted less than 4000 miles. A friend of mine has gotten 8000 out of his Road Attack, including a couple of track days and that is on an FZ1.

• Member Contributer

Major drawback of Michelin? News to me!! Maybe the Pilot Roads...

The Pilot Powers have exactly what you seem to be looking for!! They are the most predictable tire I have ever used!

Haven't tried the Diablo Corsas, but have heard good things.

• Member Contributer

Major drawback of Michelin? News to me!! Maybe the Pilot Roads...

The Pilot Powers have exactly what you seem to be looking for!! They are the most predictable tire I have ever used!

Haven't tried the Diablo Corsas, but have heard good things.

I am just echoing what I was told by some guys told me about the Powers at the track last summer. The guy who is selling me the Leo Vince, said the same thing, but he assured me that I would not be the one finding that out. . . (I guess I wouldn't be pushing them hard enough to discover that, lap after lap).

But now, I just need to try the Contisport. . . see what the fuss is all about. I heve read a dozen reviews, and only one was negative. So, I'll give it a try. At$200/pair shipped, here the final deciding factor.

• Member Contributer
I am just echoing what I was told by some guys told me about the Powers at the track last summer. The guy who is selling me the Leo Vince, said the same thing, but he assured me that I would not be the one finding that out. . . (I guess I wouldn't be pushing them hard enough to discover that, lap after lap).

But now, I just need to try the Contisport. . . see what the fuss is all about. I heve read a dozen reviews, and only one was negative. So, I'll give it a try. At$200/pair shipped, here the final deciding factor.

Powers are very predictable IMO, unless they are cold, then it goes from everything is fine to doing a 180 and going backwards (then horizontal) in a millisecond.

• 3 months later...

Stock Dunlop D204K rear went square before 4800 miles and the front cupped early on (so much for keeping pressures at 36/42 psi) riding Oklahoma roads. Today, I got an extra tight grip on the saddle in city traffic as the VFR suddenly got really greasey feeling without any warning.

Pulled over to inspect what had happened and at 5020 miles I've got the chord showing through the center of the now very squared rear tire. From my Morning check to this rapid deterioration was only about 200 miles of mostly fast (for me) highway riding. I had really hoped for much better distance from 'new to trash' than the Dunlops provided as I am not a hard rider (I only ride one up, No track days either).

Ordered the Conti Road Attack front and rear from a local Dealer based on VFRD research and internet Googling. Here is a Conti Road Attack review site I had not seen on VFRD:

http://onewheeldrive.net/index.php?option=...&Itemid=130

And this little video promotion:

http://www.conti.nl/conti_fiets_motor/Get%20The%20Grip.wmv

Those of you with Conti Road Attack tires on the VFR, please update how these tires are performing and wearing for your riding coditions. Thanks.

I've got a couple thousand miles on a set of road attacks and they are still doing fine. No cupping and still very stable. I am squaring the rear slightly as the tire is fairly hard and I break it loose often on acceleration from stops. Replacing the rear shock and dialing it in will help that situation. I'll let you all know how they perform in the next couple thousand miles.

I've got about 3000 on my conti attack roads, and like the hell out of them so far. The price is right, performance is up to everything i need, and the wear seems to so far so good. I'm kind of an errand runner for the most part, but do some spirited twisties on occasion, if they're on my way somewhere. I'm definitely not a track demon, but I've got wear to the sidewall on the right side and within a pinkie's width on the left. THey have held strong through all I've asked them to do, without giving me any reason to change brands once it's time to buy more.

• 4 weeks later...

I have about 8000 miles on my Conti Road Attacks and can fully attest to the reviews they are getting. I am ready to buy a new set of tires right now and have been thinking about trying something else, but unless anyone can tell me if there is a ST tire better or comparable that I should try, then I will be ordering a new set. One of the best things about them is the price, usually $200 a set from most sites and have a local shop mount them for $15 a piece. No need to even mess around with just getting the rear.

Let me tell you too, that I ride fairly aggressively and carve the canyons with confidence on them! I didn't ride like an old lady to get the 8000 out of them, and I could still stretch more, but the rear is gettting a flat center patch. Wicked sticky in the curves, and smooth on the freeway.

• Member Contributer
Some people use all of the tire, others have huge chicken strips because they are afraid to lean the bike farther than the kickstand takes it.
Or, we are commuting 6 days out of 7 an the VFR is our daily driver *ahem* wink.gif

• Member Contributer

I tried a set of Conti Road Attacks; never again. The rear was showing a flat strip down the middle after 500 miles on the freeway and didn't make it to 4k miles. The front is still on and has 7k with lots of tread but is cupped really badly--makes the front end shake. I'm going back to the Pilot Roads.

• Member Contributer

I might give them a try next year. I bought the new BT002 R/S which has more silica than the BT002 Type 3 or 4. I still have a BT002 Type 3 in the front and it is still the best front tire I ever had. I decided to get anther Bridgestone because my front was still in excellent shape and I love it. So long as I ride in the dry, I am fine, but if it rains I'll really have to extra careful with the front.

• Member Contributer

For what it's worth I just changed a set of Conti Attacks for a friend of mine and was noticing how well the Conti's had worn. He happens to be one of those guys that actually wears the sides of the tires unlike me.

There was hardly any cupping but the front tire was so soft the we practically could have pulled it off by hand. There was also a giant blister on the front tire about the size of a 50 cent piece.

His front was made in Korea and the rear in Germany as was a set I bought over a year ago.

• Member Contributer
For what it's worth I just changed a set of Conti Attacks for a friend of mine and was noticing how well the Conti's had worn. He happens to be one of those guys that actually wears the sides of the tires unlike me.

There was hardly any cupping but the front tire was so soft the we practically could have pulled it off by hand. There was also a giant blister on the front tire about the size of a 50 cent piece.

His front was made in Korea and the rear in Germany as was a set I bought over a year ago.

I work for conti tire and believe me stay far away from Korea made conti's the german made are ok, I personally run Micheline pilot powers.

Regards,

Mike

I work for conti tire and believe me stay far away from Korea made conti's the german made are ok, I personally run Micheline pilot powers.

Regards,

Mike

Wow, that's the insider information we needed. :thumbsup:

Archived