Revisit The Vfrd Fall Dragon Ride

• Member Contributer

gallery_491_2157_9939.jpg

I figured some of you guys that are snowed in or chilled in might want something to watch. Sorry the video isnt the best quality. My camera went nuts on me. The video is of the freaking fast group, race pass, insane, whatever you want to call us. The video starts just outside of Suches, Ga and runs basically through to the begining parts of Morganton. I deleted some of the boring stuff, but did get the great save Soichiro had near the end. There is a section near the begging when i got hung up behind a damn ford ranger that tried running a couple of us off the road. I litterally spend 20 miles trying to catch back up to the group. The second half is basically all of us having some fun, and the R6 or whatever giving jeremy and soichiro some fits! :wheel: Music by Linkin Park, Nickelback, and Buckcherry all supressed by the beautiful gear whine of my 98. Listen closely and you can hear the pegs touch down in one turn. Enjoy!

BTW the actual video is only about 13:30 even thought it rendered 19 minutes... go figure.

:unsure:

Fall Dragon Ride '06 Georgia Highway 60

:media:

Tennessee 30

Here is more from the same day. Filmed on Tennessee 30. This is the entire road with out edit from the ocoee river to the turn for 315. Enjoy!

:media:

Fall Dragon video - by HS

• Member Contributer

Wow, that was close. Sorry about that Soichiro and everyone else. I was running like 3/10th pace letting everyone regroup, and that turn is the start of a bunch of great switchbacks so I decided to turn it up there while everyone else was probably still relaxing and not paying 100% attention. I should have flicked my brake lights as a warning like I usually do.

The guy on the R6 was fast. I didn’t realize he was part of our group until we turned around when we missed a turn later. He was right on my tail on 60 and I waved him to go past a couple of times but he didn’t go, so I turned it up to 10/10ths for a while and he was right there with me.

Then on the one decreasing radius off camber turn with all the scrape marks in it I slid a few feet with the front and back ends to the outside of the lane and he was right there in my mirror. I was about to lowside from my header but sticking my knee down hard and luck saved it. I decided to let up at that point; my ego nearly caused me a nasty crash.

I can’t wait to get back up there; I hope I am able to ride for TexasMac.

Thanks for the video Kevin!

• Member Contributer

Jeremy, that pace was great for me. I learned sooo much about what these bikes can and cant do that weekend, and at the t-mac. I think other then you, i was the only other one ready for that U-turn. I was flashing my brakes madly at everyone behind me to get there attention. That thing will suck you down in a hurry. Im going to edit the 30-315 loop from later that day. There was another close call with that 'busa right in front of me. Hope to see you on two soon!

• Member Contributer

Would love to see more videos, I guess it's the next best thing.

IIRC that Bus was lowered. Why you would take a lowered Eyeabuser to the Gap is beyond me... :joystick:

Thanks Kevin for posting that. I wasnt ready for that turn at all. I looked through the turn and said oh crap. Instead of throwing it in, cause the front would of tucked for sure, I got on the brakes and used the other lane. Mainly cause there was not another vehicle coming. If there would have been a vehicle coming, I would have had to go for it. I really think it would have tucked, I was going too fast and not ready for that crazy curve. I didnt realize it was that sharp. It looks like more than 180degrees. Damn ting probably catches a lot of people by surprise.

I make one single mistake all day long and it's caught in video. Thanks man. :unsure:

Damn you, Sir!

That video nearly made me take off from work to go for a ride! And borrow my son's Sony and record a video of my own!

It would be a great video, were it not for being washed out (by too much light? Heading into the sun? The camera not having auto exposure?). What a shame - the road, sound, subject etc are all great!! :thumbsup:

Oh -and you need to take your screen off, and attack it with Plastex followed by Anti-Swirl then Plexus.

• Member Contributer
Thanks Kevin for posting that. I wasnt ready for that turn at all. I looked through the turn and said oh crap. Instead of throwing it in, cause the front would of tucked for sure, I got on the brakes and used the other lane. Mainly cause there was not another vehicle coming. If there would have been a vehicle coming, I would have had to go for it. I really think it would have tucked, I was going too fast and not ready for that crazy curve. I didnt realize it was that sharp. It looks like more than 180degrees. Damn ting probably catches a lot of people by surprise.

I make one single mistake all day long and it's caught in video. Thanks man. :media:

Here is an aerial shot, I am 98% sure this is the turn.

60northsharpcurve.jpg

I had no idea it had even happened at the time, this is the first I have seen it and I totally blindsided you with that curve. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

enzed, its actually the aperature setting. at least that is what i have to reset when it does that. unfortunately it looks absolutely briliant on the little lcd screen on the cam, so its to late when you find out of course.

jeremy, you hit the nail on the head with the turn. I almost overshot it one day coming the other direction. Those two rights (going south) before it you can constantly accelerate through. then there is that left...all down hill. It was the first time i touched down a peg, actually hit my boots on the ground. Was not fun at all. But now i seem to do that on purpose, so i guess i really wasnt going that fast? Either way, nice save doug. I just wished the guys in front of me in my lane would have kept going through the turn. I almost lowsided cause i was already starting to roll the throttle on. You can actually see the bike dip right as i hit the brakes to keep from hitting whoever was in front of me. The guys behind you i guess had a classic case of target fixation. There is also someone else who went wide in another decreasing radius turn. I think two bikes up from me earlier.

• Member Contributer

Great video!

Two suggestions:

1. Set you camera to manual focus and focus to infinity so more than the windscreen is in focus.

2. Buy a neutral density filter for for the camera it will reduce glare and the blast of the sunlight.

It's cool jeremy. I'm the one twisting the throttle so I should have been more focused. No harm no foul. The r6 guy did say it was an awesome save and that he nearly followed me right off. You can tell I raced motox forever cause I just kept going like nothing happened.

Kevin you do need a new shield for video use.

• Member Contributer
cool vid smile.gif your tacho's not working though...

Yea, what's up with that? You stay in 6th gear all the time with +4 on the front sprocket?

• Member Contributer

synaptic, soichiro: hopefully i will solve it by just switching to a bullet cam, i.e. HS's videos.

As for the tach, you will see it work in the next vid. It works just fine. I usually dont turn many RPMs coming accross 60 just cause i know the road and rarely use the brakes on it. I usually run it in 4-5th. On some of the longer straights im up in 6th gear. Rendering right now is the entire portion of TN30 we ran. The rpms are clearly visible...at almost redline the entire time.

HS, it is the road that we took from suches to morganton. The video starts about 1 mile past the school in suches and ends about 2 miles before a firestation in morganton. We took 60 all the way to McCaysville/Copperhill area. I think the other groups stayed on 68N right to Tellico Plains. We went on a detour to the 30-315-39 loop off of the Ocoee River.

Soichiro, when i do the 315 vid, you are going to be the star of it by the way. Im behind you the entire way, about 10 minutes on that one!

That road sort of looks familiar, is that the road back to Tellico Plains from Turners corner? Goes through Suches or somthing like that?

Correct. When we left Turners Corner, we went up 128 for about 11 miles, then turned left onto 180 and kept on it for about 11 miles. Then we turned right @ Suches and went NW for about 40 miles to 68 just before Ducktown (The Quacking Good Place) as there welcome sign says as you enter the city.

Good vid Kev. Nice to see the roads I can't ride =P.

Guest 767fixer

at what minute mark in the video was the Soichiro error? i read about it but missed it. damn work got in the way. tried scanning but couldnt locate it.

• Member Contributer

767, pick the video up at 8:25 and look about 3 or 4 bikes ahead of me going into the right hander. We all bunch up in a hurry!

Guest 767fixer
767, pick the video up at 8:25 and look about 3 or 4 bikes ahead of me going into the right hander. We all bunch up in a hurry!

thanks! I must have went over that portion 4 times! but i kept looking for the bike right in front of the camera. hard to tell how much pucker factor was involved from watching a video , but was a great save :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Lets just say, from my point of view... Oh Sh!T. And i wasnt even the one headed accross the lanes!

Guest 767fixer
Lets just say, from my point of view... Oh Sh!T. And i wasnt even the one headed accross the lanes!

looks like it was sideways?

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the videos! That was a great day of riding. Myself, Coyze and David Smith (on the R-6) had just come down 60 and pulled into the corner gas station at Suches when the VFR-D gang rolled up. That was a good run back up 60, and my first time on 30. What a blast!! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Hey, That guy in the white Icon Jacket that you were following in the second half of the Video is Awesome !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Member Contributer
synaptic, soichiro: hopefully i will solve it by just switching to a bullet cam, i.e. HS's videos.

Focus yes, the color blasting somewhat and that depends on the location of the bullet cam, lense focal length(yes you can get different lenses) but ultimately you will need a ND filter for the bullet cam also. One warning they are difficult to come by and generally expensive in the size for bullet cams.

• Member Contributer

Focus yes, the color blasting somewhat and that depends on the location of the bullet cam, lense focal length(yes you can get different lenses) but ultimately you will need a ND filter for the bullet cam also. One warning they are difficult to come by and generally expensive in the size for bullet cams.

Hmm, sounds like you might actually know what you are talking about. :P I will see what i can find for my camcorder first. It just iritates the crap out of me when it does that. I mean sometimes it wont. I have about 40hrs of tape downstairs from either motorcycle, wakeboarding, or paintball. NONE of the wakeboard or paintball videos have done that. Its only on the MC tapes. I seriously think it probably has more to do with the fact im looking through the shield. But once i reset that one setting, its good to go..untill used indoors. The next time its all screwy again. But Im going to check out those ND filters and see what i can find.

kevin

Striving to get a good quality video for you guys!

Archived