Rc51 Front End Swap

Veefer800Canuck

umm, you dont need a top bearing for an RC51 for your front end swap, you need the VFR one.

I have a SP1 steering stem in my set up, I have a lower tapered roller bearing for an SP1, and a upper tapered roller bearing for a 99 VFR. Just in the lower you need the circlip thingys as described by Rob a few pages up there ^^^

Thanks, AB. I am quite familiar with your set-up, as I'm using your previous thread (as well as veefer800canuck's) as a guide. They have been quite indispensible, I might add. smile.gif

I have the VFR part number, but that is for a plain roller bearing. I suppose the tapered roller stuff will sport a different part number, and I need this to place an order.

The SP1 forks and steering stem came with a tapered lower bearing, but without the outer race, that goes into the lower headstock. I will have to get that one too.

Again, any help will be appreciated. smile.gif

I have all the parts. I'm just waiting on the front fender, axle spacers and the rotors that are in the post, before I bolt everything together.

Give All Balls racing a call and tell them you need the two bearings from the different applications.

RC51 SP1 lower and VFR800 upper. They will fix you up.

That's where I got mine from. Actually, I already had the VFR tapered bearings on my bike for a season, so I already owned the upper. I merely sourced the RC51 SP1 lower bearing from them.

But they won't sell you just the race, you have to buy the entire bearing. They're cheap though.......

Ahh, I see you just needed the race... looking forward to seeing some pix...

About the only thing I think I need to do to mine is get a CF front fender, spotted some on fleabay for $149 usd, $35usd post to Oz. The one I have now is a red one with a slight battle scar from when I bought it.

About the only thing I think I need to do to mine is get a CF front fender, spotted some on fleabay for $149 usd, $35usd post to Oz. The one I have now is a red one with a slight battle scar from when I bought it.

You probably already know this but, the 929, 954 and RC51 all use the same front fender.

Just to help expand your search. :thumbsup:

You probably already know this but, the 929, 954 and RC51 all use the same front fender.

Just to help expand your search. :thumbsup:

Got that. Thanks.

And yes, pics will surely follow once I get underway, in a few weeks. The forks are already at the suspension shop, getting a thorough inspection, new seals and oil. The rear Ohlins is also on order. smile.gif

It should be quite a handler. And future-proofed. smile.gif

• Member Contributer

You can't buy just a race, and even if you could, you wouldn't want to...

I've never purchased these from Honda, but the Honda part number I've got in my files is 91015-425-832, which is supposedly for a 26 47 15 upper tapered roller bearing and race. Didn't know Honda fit tapered rollers to the RC51? Look like ball bearings on the fiche to me...

Ciao,

You can't buy just a race, and even if you could, you wouldn't want to...

I've never purchased these from Honda, but the Honda part number I've got in my files is 91015-425-832, which is supposedly for a 26 47 15 upper tapered roller bearing and race. Didn't know Honda fit tapered rollers to the RC51? Look like ball bearings on the fiche to me...

Ciao,

Thanks. But I need a VFR 800 upper, not an RC 51.

• Member Contributer
Thanks. But I need a VFR 800 upper, not an RC 51.

You're welcome. But if a VTEC uses a 47mm OD x 26mm ID x 15mm D bearing, that may be your part number!

Ciao,

• 3 weeks later...

I'm kind of stuck in the middle of my own 5th Gen RC51 front end swap. The rotors and axle spacer plus fender never arrived from the lass I bought them from in the US, although she did ship me the forks and triples.

Do any of you know if a set of rotors off a newer CBR 1000 or the older 954/929 will fit the RC 51 SP2 (2002 upwards) front wheel? I also need the OEM spacers on the axle (I have the axle though).

Anyone?

I'm kind of stuck in the middle of my own 5th Gen RC51 front end swap. The rotors and axle spacer plus fender never arrived from the lass I bought them from in the US, although she did ship me the forks and triples.

Do any of you know if a set of rotors off a newer CBR 1000 or the older 954/929 will fit the RC 51 SP2 (2002 upwards) front wheel? I also need the OEM spacers on the axle (I have the axle though).

Anyone?

Yes, those rotors (1000RR, 929, 954) will bolt onto a RC51 (SP1 and SP2) front wheel. Of course, just because they physical bolt on doesn't mean they'll actually work (without some mods anyway). The 929/954 rotors are 330mm and the 1000RR and RC51 use 320mm rotors. So, if you use 929/954, you'll need to shim the calipers out somehow.

And, you'll definitely want to check to see if the rotor offset on the 1000RR is the same as the RC51. The 1000RR uses radial brakes, so they're may be some alignment issues. I haven't heard of anybody performing this swap yet (nor have I heard of anybody swapping an 1000RR wheel into a pair of 929/954/RC51 forks either), so I can't confirm if it'll even work (it may not even bolt on, who knows). The newer CBR600RR might also work too since it shares many parts with its bigger 1000cc brother.

Much appreciated, Darth. That's good info you posted.

I think I'll stick to RC 51 rotors, to avoid the alignment and position issues. They're just a little more difficult to source 2nd hand. If I don't succeed on Ebay, I will get a brand new pair of Galfer rotors.

Thanks again.

I think I'll stick to RC 51 rotors, to avoid the alignment and position issues. They're just a little more difficult to source 2nd hand. If I don't succeed on Ebay, I will get a brand new pair of Galfer rotors.

Thanks again.

Ok, just did a search and this is what I've found...

Yes, 06-07 (probably 08 too) CBR1000RR rotors will fit on the RC51 rim.

929 (00-01)....................330mm

954 (02-03)....................330mm

RC51 (00-06)..................320mm

600rr (03-08)..................310mm

1000rr (04-05)................310mm

1000rr (06-07)................320mm

Offsets and bolt patterns are the same. The only differences are rotor thinkness and rotor diameter.

It is my understanding that the 929/954/1000 rims are all interchangable. The RC51 has a different axle diameter (22mm vs 25mm on the 929/954/1000), so you'll need to install RC51 wheel bearings and have custom axle spacers made if you want to use a 929/954/1000 wheel in the RC51 forks.

Thanks again.

Ok, just did a search and this is what I've found...

Yes, 06-07 (probably 08 too) CBR1000RR rotors will fit on the RC51 rim.

929 (00-01)....................330mm

954 (02-03)....................330mm

RC51 (00-06)..................320mm

600rr (03-08)..................310mm

1000rr (04-05)................310mm

1000rr (06-07)................320mm

Offsets and bolt patterns are the same. The only differences are rotor thinkness and rotor diameter.

It is my understanding that the 929/954/1000 rims are all interchangable. The RC51 has a different axle diameter (22mm vs 25mm on the 929/954/1000), so you'll need to install RC51 wheel bearings and have custom axle spacers made if you want to use a 929/954/1000 wheel in the RC51 forks.

Whoa! This information should be pinned, Darth. Its a worthy addition to the already huge store of know-how for would be 5th and 6th Gen Frankenviffers like me.

A huge thunb's up for your effort in posting this up. Thanks!

It also looks like the 600RR (03-06) also used a 22mm axle just like the RC51. In fact, the Honda part numbers are the same between the 600RR and RC51 for the wheel bearings and inner spacers. I've read of one guy putting an RC51 front wheel on his 600RR, so it's definitely doable.

I'd imagine you'd have to have axle spacers made to make sure the 600RR wheel fit correctly in the RC51 forks. Plus, you'd have to put 320mm rotors onto the rims too. The nice thing about this swap is you wouldn't have to swap the bearings out.

Rims from a newer 600RR (07+) may work too. I believe the axle diameter is also 22mm, but the fork legs are closer together. This makes it pretty much impossible to put an RC51 or an older 600RR wheel onto a newer 600RR, but the reverse wouldn't be true. :rolleyes:

Here is another variation on this theme...

Kudos to zRoYz who did all the work. All I did was collect a few parts then stand back and admire the maestro at work.

Especially pleased with the Powerbronze front fender which is an absolutely top notch piece of kit. Woo, gold bits :D

gallery_4276_3616_174750.jpg

front.jpg

gallery_4276_3616_117016.jpg

forks2.jpg

gallery_4276_3616_87677.jpg

forks.jpg

gallery_4276_3616_160743.jpg

back.jpg

Edited by kirbster

We have a mate with an RC51 front end on his SuperBlackbird (CBR1100XX)... actually we have two mates with that combo...

Yep we do & I installed them all except AB's but think sent him so many how too emails you could say I helped with that install as well.

List:

My VFR vtec installed SP1 front end.

BB (AQ) installed SP1 front end.

Sold my SP1 front end & installed on BB (Birdman)

My VFR vtec installed R1 front end.

Kirby VFR vtec installed SP2 front end.

My sold VFR750 installed F4I front end.

VFR800 (Beasty) installed my vtec front end (simple upgrade to 43mm forks from standard 41mm).

I'm trying to stay out of my garage for awhile & haven't even had time to install my HIDS on my vtec :-( Kirby bike has worn me out for awhile as was alittle more than just front end with full valve service & 100 other things to a bike that a mechanical numpty doesn't notice. I did however just install new chain & sprockets on my bike & the Blue chain looks bling hehe, yes I'm a blue freak.

I can just taste all those Turkeys I'm going to make Kirby buy me at SinS (summer in the snowy) ride next week because he is going to be so happy he wont know he is buying them, the Motard headers with Staintunes sound mean really mean.

Edited by zRoYz

• 9 months later...

Hi guys, been looking around on these front-end swap threads for the diamater of the front fork tubes on the VTECker... is it 41 or 42mm??? Anyone?? (I measured mine but I don't trust my caliper to be very accurate, 2-bob el-cheapo job... oh yeah and while I'm at it... what's the diamater on the 4th gen??

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Auspañol

VTEC = 43mm

43mm!!! :rolleyes: :fing02:

...we are talking about the same thing right? The fork pipes/tubes which the clip-ons clip onto up the top... the part which slides up and down inside the cartridges... the part which goes into the triple trees... right? Hmmm 43mm, so the clip-ons off a VTEC aren't a direct swap for a 4th gen... which I believe (with more certainty) are 41mm