Wolf Exhaust, 5th Gen

vfrcapn

• Member Contributer

gallery_7586_2466_97451.jpg

Here's some pics. I picked up the Wolf pipe a few weeks ago on eBay, without the underseat tray which I had to make from scratch.

I like the idea on the ceramic coated aluminum tray. I still have a roll of carbon and may try using my aluminum tray as a template to make one from CF once the temps warm up. Heat management is the real problem with this set up, I'm thinking a thin aluminum or carbon heat shield between the pipe and tray/battery box may be needed.

gallery_7586_2466_17431.jpg

gallery_7586_2466_31643.jpg

gallery_7586_2466_95482.jpg

gallery_7586_2466_41782.jpg

gallery_7586_2466_20399.jpg

med_gallery_7586_2466_133587.jpg

As Jim mentioned below we're working through some details to get the Wolf pipes duplicated. it's going to be at least a few more weeks but hoping to have more info soon, holidays put everything on hold.

Happy new year! :biggrin:

Edited by HispanicSlammer

• Member Contributer
Cool, nice job on the undertray.

Mine will look a lot better after it's been ceramic coated.

Looks like you moved the ECU to the RH side of the bike.

I might have to see if I have room for that.

Thanks, I was inspired by your project to go buy a riveter and on adding the side panels. The tray itself is the basic shape and mount points from the Wolf kit.

I didn't have room left to fit the ECU under the seat and there's really no where to mount it on the left that I saw. The upside is I do have enough room now to get the tool and flat kits under the seat.

Mike

• Member Contributer

Beautiful work. I'm a little concerned about your seat cowl cracking without the support of the two posts with grommets back by the lights. In the photos it doesn't look like there's anything there for support (ala Wolf). Did you see what veefer800canuck did to address the problem? It should be easy to do on yours too.

Congrats on a sweet setup! :biggrin:

Beautiful work. I'm a little concerned about your seat cowl cracking without the support of the two posts with grommets back by the lights. In the photos it doesn't look like there's anything there for support (ala Wolf). Did you see what veefer800canuck did to address the problem? It should be easy to do on yours too.

gallery_554_564_36442.jpg

• Member Contributer

Bitchin, bitchin, bitchin work...that looks freaking awesome...how does it sound? I have a D&D on mine which I love. Any chance you would be able to compare the sound for me? Nah, forget it...I'll be buying more formula soon and not new pipes...

Anyway, gotta give you some credit. It looks killer.

vfrcapn, Rob - will the metal undertray make it noisy from the point of view of resonance and gravel and other objects hitting it? I guess if that's the case, you could coat it with say, that bedliner used for trucks etc., or something similar?

We likessss cussstom thingies, we doessss!! :biggrin:

Edited by enzed_viffer

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Flash and Flare

Did you ever take them to a exhaust shop to get a carbon copy made ? I thought there was some discussion at one time of you possibly selling knock off kits.

I am inline for one if you do.

• Member Contributer
Did you ever take them to a exhaust shop to get a carbon copy made ? I thought there was some discussion at one time of you possibly selling knock off kits.

I am inline for one if you do.

same here :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Cpn has made contact with a local fabricator and he is trying to see if they can be made out of stainless.

Also to be considered is the outlet diameter. Rob's Devil cans measured approximately 1 5/8" and the Wolf's are at 2".

I'm checking into using dual Laser Xtreme cans for the underseat application. I'm working on the overall dimensions to pass on to Cpn'.

The Wolf's pipes (2 piece) are chromed. Cpn is working on a single pipe application. One other consideration is the diameter of the inlet at the collector. I like Staintunes' application and I'm hoping Cpn is able to match that.

Cpn has been extremely thoughtful and considerate for those of us itching to grab a set. :thumbsup:

Hopefully after the holidays have settled down we will be able to inundate Cpn with mail.....

Jim

vfrcapn, Rob - will the metal undertray make it noisy from the point of view of resonance and gravel and other objects hitting it? I guess if that's the case, you could coat it with say, that bedliner used for trucks etc., or something similar?

We likessss cussstom thingies, we doessss!! :rolleyes:

I haven't noticed any vibrations or the like from the undertray or exhaust. Mine is very securely fastened with a ton of rivets, plus I just hat it all welded together into one unit so it's not going anywhere soon.

There is a little more heat under the seat but it's only noticeable when stopped in traffic during hot weather. Once underway, it's not noticeable at all.

Plus getting the whole works coated in black ceramic should help out some.

000_0086.jpg

000_0087.jpg

• Member Contributer
I thought there was some discussion at one time (about) knock off kits.

veefer is supposed to be bringing his exhaust to the bike show Jan. 12th and I've already talked to the original fabricator about making copies. Once he takes some measurements, gives me a price and I can be certain it will bolt up without difficulty I will post up.

Guest Flash and Flare
I thought there was some discussion at one time (about) knock off kits.

veefer is supposed to be bringing his exhaust to the bike show Jan. 12th and I've already talked to the original fabricator about making copies. Once he takes some measurements, gives me a price and I can be certain it will bolt up without difficulty I will post up.

This is outstanding news ! what a way to start 2007 off with the hopes of getting dual or even single undertail exhaust for our 5th Gen's

F&F

Guest Flash and Flare

Also if I had to vote on longer narrow (arrow or tunes) cans or larger shorter(micron or TB's) I would opt for the later larger shorter. Love the sound of the larger vs. the narrow zippy sounding.

But hey thats just me, I guess beggars can't be picky.

Any chance of using our own single side mount under the seat ????

Also if I had to vote on longer narrow (arrow or tunes) cans or larger shorter(micron or TB's) I would opt for the later larger shorter. Love the sound of the larger vs. the narrow zippy sounding.

You might have issues with the larger diameter cans fitting properly, clearance issues with the rear tire/suspension being the fly in the ointment.

WOLF themselves began fitting smaller diameter cans later in their production run.

DEVIL USA told me they could supply two of their shotgun style cans with a random connector pipe for (some amount) less than buying a purpose-built system for a specific model.

They further said that the newer shotgun style cans have a nicer CF finish/weave than the earlier ones which is what I have.

But since I got mine on a blowout deal to get them the heck out of the dealership (hanging on the wall for years and years) I didn't take DEVIL up on their offer.

The Devil shotgun Y-pipe I never used, I EBAY'd it. Was for a CBR929/954 as illustrated here:

db_900_CBR__Dble_Tuning9.jpg

I also thought about using two oval cans, laying horizontally but there wasn't enough room left to right for them to fit. At least not a Micron oval can.

Maybe someone else makes smaller oval cans???

Guest Flash and Flare

You might have issues with the larger diameter cans fitting properly, clearance issues with the rear tire/suspension being the fly in the ointment.

WOLF themselves began fitting smaller diameter cans later in their production run.

DEVIL USA told me they could supply two of their shotgun style cans with a random connector pipe for (some amount) less than buying a purpose-built system for a specific model.

They further said that the newer shotgun style cans have a nicer CF finish/weave than the earlier ones which is what I have.

But since I got mine on a blowout deal to get them the heck out of the dealership (hanging on the wall for years and years) I didn't take DEVIL up on their offer.

The Devil shotgun Y-pipe I never used, I EBAY'd it. Was for a CBR929/954 as illustrated here:

db_900_CBR__Dble_Tuning9.jpg

I also thought about using two oval cans, laying horizontally but there wasn't enough room to right for then to fit. At least not a Micron oval can.

Maybe someone else makes smaller oval cans???

My bike currently has a Micron high mount, how about just a single pipe under tail, just lay it flat in there ???? All I would have to do is figure a way to turn the outlet pipe so it faces down instead of off to one side.

I love the sound of the Micron, but have wanted a undertail exhaust also.

F&F

My bike currently has a Micron high mount, how about just a single pipe under tail, just lay it flat in there ???? All I would have to do is figure a way to turn the outlet pipe so it faces down instead of off to one side.

F&F

Probably doable. Magellan made his own single underseat system (below) and there was someone else too(?).

gallery_5128_669_33242.jpg

Oh yeah, it was VFRmonkey:

gallery_893_101_47503.jpg

Get an outlet tip/end cap from a Micron oval can originally meant for a Ducati 916/996/998 and you're all set.

996_micron.jpg

Micron USA will probably sell you one direct as spare parts.

http://www.micron-exhaust.com/store/contact.htm

Guest Flash and Flare

F&F

Probably doable. Get an outlet tip/end cap from a Micron oval can originally meant for a Ducati 916/996/998 and you're all set.

996_micron.jpg

Micron will probably sell you one direct as spare parts.

You just made the job easier, now someone just needs to make the pans and the piping so its plug and play.

*crossing fingers*

BTW, if you only knew how many times I have watched your sound clip vids. sheesh love that sound

• Member Contributer

Neil can make his own mufflers - I'll just tell him to make a copy of the Micron. Or maybe a larger oval with dual tips...Needs to find a good source for carbon fiber though if you want it in Carbon.