The Reevu Msx1 Periscopic Helmet

Guest jgombos

Guest jgombos

I've been waiting forever to get my head in one of these helmets. I was told they would be released in the US last September, and now I'm being told this September, but I don't believe it. My helmet has been through 7 or 8 crashes already, so I'm tired of waiting. Anyone know a good international source for getting these things shipped overseas at a reasonable price? Shipping from Holland blows the deal for me, but I'm thinking if there's a Spanish vendor (who probably sells them for less) who will ship to the US, it would be worth it.

Guest BlueVFRank

@jgombos

Since you named holland yourself and looking at your nick i assume you're dutch. My dealer Goedhart motoren in bodegraven already has them on the "sale shelf" They arent much of a succes overhere and i must say had one of them one and i definetly prefere my X Lite.

But if you definetly want one, contact them and perhaps there willing to ship it a reasonable price.

Best of luck.

They arent much of a succes overhere and i must say had one of them one and i definetly prefere my X Lite.

+1.gif

It sure takes some getting used to. When you want to look at an (moving) object that is near the edge of the screen you have to turn your head in the opposite direction which is counter intiutive.

I first want to master that counter steering thing, than I may take a shot at this counter viewing thing :goofy:

I prefer the "old skool" type rearview mirrors.

• Member Contributer
7 or 8 crashes? I think you should run, not walk to your nearest store and get a new one. then order the trick helmet.

I agree...you're old one is already trash. Pushing your luck...may not save you in crash # 9. No helmet has "9" lives. :warranty:

• Member Contributer

I think he had one crash... it was his fault, so at the nearest brick wall, he beat his helmet lathen head agains the brick wall 7 more times.....

Hence, 7 or 8 "crashes"... +1.gif

<...This will make it sound much better for you JGOMBOS without getting flamed TOO much...> :goofy:

:joystick:

My helmet has been through 7 or 8 crashes already, so I'm tired of waiting.

OMG I hope you are joking. If not, I think my insurance company just called and when I answered they were laughing, cause my rates just skyrocketed.

If you have crashed and your helmet has taken damage, you should seriously consider replacing it. If it is an Arai, you can send it to them and they will do a thorough examination of it (including an x-ray I think) and let you know if you should replace it.

Later,

Jeff

Guest jgombos
On the street? Perhaps other hobbies are calling.

All on the street, though I've changed my lifestyle since then. All but one of those crashes were during high school and college years, in LA, splitting cars and other high risk driving :wheel:. I didn't have a car during most of that time either, so I was commuting daily on the bike, and in the rain. Some of the crashes were trivial, like sliding on gravel on turns, so the helmet may not have impacted every time either.

I'm just a weekend rider now.. but I may be returning to LA soon, and probably get back to commuting. I thought the periscopic helmet would be perfect for white-lining. In fact I'm figuring it to be good enough to remove the side mirrors (for shooting tighter holes). I've read a couple negative reviews, claiming the mirror fogs up easily, so it may not be that great.

It seems most helmets on the market are substantially low-tech for the times. Why don't I see kevlar helmets with built-in cameras, bluetooth audio, HUDs, and rearview? Perhaps the market is too small.

• Member Contributer
It seems most helmets on the market are substantially low-tech for the times. Why don't I see kevlar helmets with built-in cameras, bluetooth audio, HUDs, and rearview? Perhaps the market is too small.

Because then you are talking about a $1k lid. J&M, mainly for goldwings, have some pretty cool audio options for helmets.

All on the street, though I've changed my lifestyle since then. All but one of those crashes were during high school and college years, in LA, splitting cars and other high risk driving :rolleyes:. I didn't have a car during most of that time either, so I was commuting daily on the bike, and in the rain. Some of the crashes were trivial, like sliding on gravel on turns, so the helmet may not have impacted every time either.

I'm just a weekend rider now.. but I may be returning to LA soon, and probably get back to commuting. I thought the periscopic helmet would be perfect for white-lining. In fact I'm figuring it to be good enough to remove the side mirrors (for shooting tighter holes). I've read a couple negative reviews, claiming the mirror fogs up easily, so it may not be that great.

If you were prone to crashing, please explain to me how getting a new helmet is going to PREVENT future crashes? I would think that being a daily driver would improve one's riding skills and elevate the "sixth sense" most riders have. I'm a daily driver with over 124K miles on my '91 and I've only been down 3 times. Once on the Viffer and twice on my dearly departed Ninja 900. I don't think my body or wallet could take crashing on an annual basis. BTW, when was your last crash?

Guest jgombos
If you were prone to crashing, please explain to me how getting a new helmet is going to PREVENT future crashes?

I never claimed that it would (though I will make that claim below). Helmets generally do not prevent accidents, and in fact they cause accidents. Helmetless riders are less likely to get into an accident - in general. However, the periscopic helmet is the first to have an accident avoidance feature. Whether this feature is effective enough to overcome the other factors, we can't be certain.

By choosing to wear a helmet, I've accepted the increase in accident probability in exchange for head protection.

I would think that being a daily driver would improve one's riding skills and elevate the "sixth sense" most riders have.

Certainly. Particularly experienced riders who have been down a few times. Accidents improve a riders skill, and sometimes knowledge.

There are some very good motorcycle driving schools that actually teach riders how to crash - safely. The students actually practice laying the bike down in a way that minimizes injury, so they are better prepared when they later have to lay the bike down against their will.

I'm a daily driver with over 124K miles on my '91 and I've only been down 3 times. Once on the Viffer and twice on my dearly departed Ninja 900. I don't think my body or wallet could take crashing on an annual basis.

Too bad you don't have much choice in the matter. There's a limited number of things you can do to prevent some bonehead from turning left in front of you.

BTW, when was your last crash?

Year 2000.

Helmets generally do not prevent accidents, and in fact they cause accidents. Helmetless riders are less likely to get into an accident - in general.

:blink:

There are some very good motorcycle driving schools that actually teach riders how to crash - safely. The students actually practice laying the bike down in a way that minimizes injury, so they are better prepared when they later have to lay the bike down against their will.

• Member Contributer
Helmets generally do not prevent accidents, and in fact they cause accidents. Helmetless riders are less likely to get into an accident - in general. However, the periscopic helmet is the first to have an accident avoidance feature.

I want to see these studies. ....and accident avoidance? Does the helmet warn you that the old fart coming at you is about the make a left turn before he even figures it out at the last minute? :o

Um....LINKS.....we need links. I wanna lay a bike down in a controlled manner..... :rolleyes:

....and looking at the helmet....given the mirroring system integrated into the top of the helmet...that just leaves a big space with less protection, since the helmet doesn't LOOK any larger to account for the mirroring......

I want to see these studies. ....and accident avoidance? Does the helmet warn you that the old fart coming at you is about the make a left turn before he even figures it out at the last minute?

Um....LINKS.....we need links. I wanna lay a bike down in a controlled manner.....

....and looking at the helmet....given the mirroring system integrated into the top of the helmet...that just leaves a big space with less protection, since the helmet doesn't LOOK any larger to account for the mirroring......

OK, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't the only other person that noted these things in his previous post. I have never heard anything to support that wearing a helmet CAUSES an accident. WTF? Sounds like the no helmet crowd brainwashing talk I hear from people that ride Hardleys.

Later,

Jeff

OK, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't the only other person that noted these things in his previous post. I have never heard anything to support that wearing a helmet CAUSES an accident. WTF? Sounds like the no helmet crowd brainwashing talk I hear from people that ride Hardleys.

Later,

Jeff

Nope, I noticed them too. I just didn't post anything more than " :blink: " because i didn't know what to say. I guess I was in shock or something.

• Member Contributer

Later,

Jeff

It sounds like the propaganda in the ABATE magazine that you get when you become a member just for the MSF course discount.

jgombos,

I hope you are not suprised by the flaming. Some of your points do seem a more than a little off, given the context.

Especially helmets causing accidents...

Ohhhhh, so that's why racers crash. Not locking brake levers or losing the front end?

Archived