Pnw Vfrd Meet II

• Member Contributer

Alas, I won't be making it after all. sad.gif Next year when both kids have there licence it won't be an issue though!

Sound like it's going to be a great time! Have fun everyone.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
Alas, I won't be making it after all. sad.gif Next year when both kids have there licence it won't be an issue though!

Sound like it's going to be a great time! Have fun everyone.

Really sorry to hear you won't be making it. We'll carry on somehow....

NEW FIRST POST! - just given a last update.

Call me or come to the house as you guys get into town. The grill will be fired at 5 pm and kept going for a couple of hours. Feel free to come by anytime after about noon. I may be out running around getting ready in the morning.

See you all real soon, and RIDE SAFE!

Keith

• Member Contributer

Well Avidone and his girlfriend arrived in town yesterday at 5pm. After checkin we picked them up for a great dinner and conversation then they were hitting the hot tub. We are leaving for Coos Bay today about 10a.m for a scenic, leisurely ride up the coast (Staying in a nice B&B there) as they want to snap photos and see some sights. We will be in Newport early Friday Keith barring any complications.

Everyone Ride safe!!

• Member Contributer

Rich,

We are heading up from Reading, I hear there are roadworks in Susanville but we should be past there by 8am and in Reading by 11 latest then straight up I5 to 20. Hope to be in Newport by 4ish, fingers crossed :D

I was just going to PM you Alan......are you takeing I5 to Corvallis or comeing up from below????My Friend Joel bought a 6th gen, Red like my old one cause he wanted the quickest color. :rolleyes: Any way....hes comeing to the meet......you like him, real pick pocket sort Of dude!!! :P

• Member Contributer
Hi all, just thought somebody maybe interested in my route-taking to the meet - and offer advice if you know these backroads:

While Crater Lake is amazing, i have dropped it from my route.

i will head up I5, like Scotinexcile.

But stop in Eugene, and then head west on hwy 126, but only for a few miles.

i'll be looking for new unexplored roads, and hope that the southward roadways towards Reedsport, via Wolf Crk and Sulphur Springs are paved, and in good shape.

See ya'all late afternoon tomorrow.

Please ride with caution and care. :thumbsup:

Yeah, we'll be going back up into that area Saturday morning, depending on how much mileage people want to do that day......

It's paved from Crow out to Reedsport down the Smith River Road.

Keith

• Member Contributer

It is 12 pm west coast time and I am sitting at the pc in the hotel lobby. Well I meet up with fallzboater and tony and the other tony ( both tonys are way cool) as well as creig. The tonys and creig are from canada. Our group went to keiths house at 7pm and it was an asume site. Samon and oysters where great thanx Keith). I wish you all could have seen all the bikes at keiths!! Oh wait you will pics to come. getting to the point ITS SO COOL HOPE EVERYONE CAN COME NEXT YEAR. I am too sleepy to be in the lobby so I am going to bed gotta meet at 7:30 am. Gnight

Hi everyone. Thanks for a great ride yesterday. Thanks Keith for doing such a great job organizing the whole event. It was great to meet everyone. Have a good ride home.

keith.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well, it's noon and the last of them just rolled out of the driveway. I'm hoping everyone has a safe ride home, and it's going to be fun seeing the pictures as they get posted here.

First, THANK YOU! to everyone who attended. We had (unofficial count) 33 bikes here, and, I think, 39 riders and passengers. Anybody else get a better count? Bikes started rolling in around 5 pm Friday, and they just didn't quit all evening. I was thrilled when we got to about 15 and the garage was overflowing, but soon the driveway was filled and they were out in the street! Here's what I mean-

gallery_3463_423_146598.jpg

Nice driveway...

My house was filled with a wonderful bunch of folks, and we enjoyed tuna, oysters, salmon, salads, fresh corn from Rich's yard, and lots more.

Saturday AM we all met for breakfast. Some were still arriving that morning. Here's a proper parking lot-

gallery_3463_423_39544.jpg

Breakfast bikes

We had breakfast at Georgie's, which is fine, but if any of you ever come to Newport in smaller groups, we're going where us locals go. We all took off in a procession to the Chevron station. As we went through the long dip at Nye Beach, I looked back to see 32 bikes following ME. What a feeling - all I can say is I started laughing in my helmet with absolute glee, like a little kid who's just been given the big prize. I kept turning around and looking back in disbelief. Don't make a wrong turn!

We headed north on 101, and turned off at Kernville, winding our way through Siletz, Logsden, Nashville, and Blodgett. We stopped for a bit at the store, and then made a brief visit to Tyee winery for a tasting session. Dave and Margie own the winery and are friends, but didn't know we were coming. Dave was out front and it was fun to see his mouth hang open when all the bikes just kept coming and coming. But they loved having us, and several went away with a bottle to enjoy at home.

gallery_3463_423_100413.jpg

Blodgett store - check the sign

Lunch was at Gathering Together Farms, a wonderful place that sells some of the best organic produce and meat to be found anywhere. Afterward, we started back toward the coast on Hwy 34. The road is a rhythmic blend of turns hard and soft. I took a few pictures in one of the twistier sections:

gallery_3463_423_5877.jpg

Blur on 34(who is this?)

gallery_3463_423_77097.jpg

Tim, MFP-2241, on 34.jpg

Last night (Sat.) we all met up again at the Rogue Brewery for an evening of bikes, beers, and fun. We set up a wash station outside, and then rolled the bikes inside the brewery amongst towering tanks of beer and stacks of cases. Rogue gave us a private room with taps and tables, and away we went. Of course, the first thing we did after all were present was to hoist our glasses in a huge cheer for HispanicSlammer!

Other toasts were made, we gave away a few trivia prizes, and got to model our t-shirts. In appreciation of the brewery hosting us, we presented Rogue with it's very own 6th gen VFR, even if it is only 1/18 scale (please, someone have a photo!).

gallery_3463_423_17025.jpg

86 - Best of Show

Finally, to bed. May said their goodbyes, as they were heading out too early to join us again for breakfast. Just when we were wondering if anyone was going to step forward and volunteer for next year (the Canucks weren't biting), Magellan downed another pint and shouted "Vancouver, WA in 2007!". I'll be there for sure.

gallery_3463_423_103640.jpg

Generations

There were so many people at this one that I didn't get the names of probably half of you, but it doesn't matter. You are all kind, generous, fast, loud, and fun-loving people, and I loved having you all here. Thank You to all who came, it's all of you that made this the party of the best party of the summer.

Yours,

Keith

• Member Contributer

Keith, thanks for the awsome work on the NW meet; great times, good folks, fast bikes (the yellow ones anyway) and great grunts. Made it home safely this pm and have recommended road, the Wilimina creek road which changes to Bald mountain then the Bible creek road at the summit and down to the Nestucca river road to Beaver on 101. Some 35 miles of continuous roller coaster terrain twisties, longest stretch of strait road may have been 100 yards for most of it. This is the hollars of Oregon. At the summit the road branches with the eastern leg going to Carlton. Try it if you havn't already. Steve

• Member Contributer

What a great weekend, over 1400 miles, many great new friends, great beer and great food.

gallery_4774_503_578191.jpg

A Happy Man Bikes and Beer

Now the Canadians are a strange breed, dont know if he is bowing to the VFR god or Mooning the Car behind him!!!!!!

gallery_4774_503_666748.jpg

DSCN0479.JPG

My wife tried to catch some shots of the "pack"

gallery_4774_503_855220.jpg

DSCN0512.JPG

Who says Bikes and Beer dont mix

gallery_4774_503_478047.jpg

DSCN0522.JPG

Cant wait until the next one. We are going to take at least 2 days to ride to Vancouver!!!! :D

I have a few other pics that I will post when I get a chance

gallery_4774_503_160163.jpg

DSCN0494.JPG

gallery_4774_503_211657.jpg

DSCN0477.JPG

gallery_4774_503_395811.jpg

DSCN0478.JPG

• Member Contributer

Keith,

thanks for a great time. We rolled in here about 4:30. much nicer ride home with no wind. not even tired. Total ride time home was about 6 hours. I will get some pics posted tomorrow from my other computer.

thanks again

All I can say is WOW what a spectacular weekend. My wife was amazed at how friendly and totally great everyone at this event was. Meeting and riding with everyone was an awesome experience. You know the old saying; "You meet the nicest people on a Honda".

We made it home safe and sound at around 2:30 pm and I was able to drop the bags off at home and ride up to Cougar on Mount St. Helens with Didit and CVVFR to boot. I didn't think they'd ever stop smiling :D

Many, many thanks to Keith for making this an unforgetable weekend and to Hispanic Slammer for creating this site that has brought all of these super people together. Hope to see all of you here in Vancouver, Washington next year.

Thanks again and safe travels to all.

Tim & Cassie Smith

• Member Contributer

Wow, what a great weekend, thanks to all! Three cheers to Keith!

The three Canadians (Tony, Tony, and Craig), George, and I had a blast riding down from Hood River on Friday; 300 miles of twisties, and a veritable genocide of butterflies. My windscreen looked like ketchup and mustard. Also the first time I can remember getting a blister on top of my shifter toe. Tony (Thumper8) and I especially had a good time swapping leads, slicing and dicing FS 42, 46, 11, and SR 34.

Breakfast on Saturday morning was great, and I'll have a new avatar once I get the photos from George. Hubba, Hubba! :salesman:

Saturday morning was a blast, although I was probably a little, er, aggressive with some of my four-wheeled obstacle passing. After I was scolded by a little old lady at a fuel stop, I settled down and tried to play it fairly cool for the rest of the weekend.

Saturday mid-day was touring mode, with several nice stops. Good planning, Keith, although the lunch stop had nothing resembling Man Food. Tasty, nontheless.

The Rouge was great, even for a non-beer-drinking wuss like me. Chears! :pissed:

I rode back through Albany with Rich on Sunday, and got to spend some quality time on his RC-51, which is a fabulous, yet somewhat punishing, machine (due to my 38-inch inseam, mostly). We had probably the only bike-to-bike (or bike-to-luggage) contact of the weekend, which fortunately resulted in more damage to both of our prides than our hardware (or worse). Thank goodness. We took SR 34 East to 5-Rivers Rd, which we rode South for quite a ways before determining that we missed a left turn onto Lobster Valley. We turned around, found Lobster Valley, and picked 34 back up at Alsea. Pretty uneventful ride after that, fortunately. The RC was a demanding mistress, strong-willed, thrilling, and full of fire, yet my knees and wrists were thankful for the return to my VTEC, like a comfortable old pair of shoes. We got Rich and the RC back to Albany in fine fettle, and I returned to Hood River via Scio, Stayton, Estacada, Sandy, and back around 26 to 35N. 950 miles total for the three days, probably almost as far as I've ever ridden in a month, previously.

Speaking of shoes, my rear Pilot Road is roasted! I got 5k miles (no track) out of it, not too bad I suppose. Not sure what to try next, but I don't want anything that'll wear too much faster.

A few of us in the Portland/Vancouver area are planning to meet up again this Friday, all are welcome. Will be looking forward to Vancouver next year, and showing the rest of you some of my stomping grounds. Maybe we can get something going with Full Sail here in the Hood. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Wow, so much to say...

One ticket amidst the whole group (surprise), and no accidents or tip-overs among 32 bikes. That alone constitutes roaring success!!!

Keith, my hat's off to you, my friend. You orchestrated a memory we'll take to the grave but share often! Thank you to everyone who showed up and offered friendship and good cheer (Aaron, ya bloody lurker, nice hanging out with you around the campfire. Don't be a stranger).

Four states and two provinces, right? I think Mike gets the distance award for coming from Calgary, but the Canadian contingent from BC was strong too. Always nice to have fellow Canucks around to practice my "eh"s with...

The roads were fantastic, the food and drink were excellent (Tyee Chardonnay is among the best I've tasted, and Rogue Brewery really put the finishing touch on the experience with great beer and perfect parking!

We hope every last one of you will come to Vancouver, WA for PNW Meet '07. And bring a friend!

Tim, Tim, George, David, I and others from PDX area have some serious work to do to reach the bar set by Keith in Newport. I look forward to working together to hash out the details... Oh, and just to give credit where it's due, Tim Smith (cassandtim) is the generous soul who prompted me to announce Vancouver for the '07 Meet. All I can take credit for is being the mystery blur on Hwy 34 wink.gif

BTW, I scraped the underbody muffler on both sides on the way home. It was fun making that happen :D , but further modifications are definitely in order. Other than that, what a bike we all ride! Here's to the cult of the VFR and all my VFRD brothers :goofy: .

Lon and Sarah

All I can say is WOW what a spectacular weekend. My wife was amazed at how friendly and totally great everyone at this event was. Meeting and riding with everyone was an awesome experience. You know the old saying; "You meet the nicest people on a Honda".

Couldn't have said it better myself. It was great to have so many gals present at the meet. And it was nice to finally meet you, Cassie. Have you finished beating Tim yet for offering to host next year? :pissed:

• Member Contributer

Just talked to A_Moxie this morning, he's settled with the insurance company and has the cash for a new bike. I'm sending his shirts off to him gratis, courtesy of the group.

Thanks for the all the kind words. It was truly my pleasure having all of you here. :pissed:

But c'mon, let's see more photos! (whine, whine)

And I just knew I was gonna get a wisecrack about the man-food. Anybody see how many oysters he ate?

Keith

• Member Contributer

here are a few pics from our trip up with Avid One (Tim) and his girlfriend Claudia

gallery_4651_2035_20021.jpg

Tim(Avid One),Claudia,Kelly,Me Start of the trip

gallery_4651_2035_209709.jpg

Trusty Steeds The bikes

gallery_4651_2035_176096.jpg

Tim & Claudia Happy Couple

gallery_4651_2035_75349.jpg

Road Construction happy couple at road construction

gallery_4651_2035_34716.jpg

Snowgirl What a face

gallery_4651_2035_36669.jpg

Brookings Ore. Brookings, Ore.

gallery_4651_2035_408212.jpg

Arai Honor Tim and Claudia helmet honor

gallery_4651_2035_221200.jpg

Happy squirrel Friendly Ground Squirrel

gallery_4651_2035_173539.jpg

Port Orford Port Orford

gallery_4651_2035_116047.jpg

Coos Bay B&B Breakfast at B&B in Coos Bay with Tim and Claudia and another weird couple

gallery_4651_2035_163391.jpg

The Crew Just another get together changing directions and finally some sun.

gallery_4651_2035_9969.jpg

Country Store At the Country Store

gallery_4651_2035_92661.jpg

Breakfast Breakfast at Georgies

gallery_4651_2035_39929.jpg

Inside Georgies Inside Georgies

gallery_4651_2035_229337.jpg

Tyee Winery A small sample at Tyee Winery before Lunch

gallery_4651_2035_263693.jpg

GTF and the fast color The fast bikes at Gathering Together Farms for lunch

gallery_4651_2035_58802.jpg

Entrance to Oregon Dunes Entrance to Oregon Dunes

gallery_4651_2035_113605.jpg

dinner at the Rogue At the Rogue

gallery_4651_2035_93168.jpg

Beth and Keith Beth (Ms.Scottinexcile) and Keith

Pictures!!

512http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/dennytim/VFRD_PNW_Meet/P8190006.jpg[/img]

Outside of Georgie's Grill in Newport, OR.

P8190007.jpg

Stopped in Nashville (where OR-411 meets OR-180)

P8190008.jpg

Another picture at Nashville.

P8190009.jpg

And another picture at Nashville.

P8190017.jpg

Here's Keith on OR-34 having some fun.

P8190018.jpg

And here's Keith exiting the corner.

I'll also be posting some pictures in my blog too. :beer:

Just rolled into my house and first thing I had to do was look at the board to see some replies. My hat is off to Keith for setting the bar very high. I had a blast meeting and riding with so many other VFR owners. I have a TON of pictures and will have to spend some time editing out the best and getting them posted.

Matt

First, I want to thank Keith for his wonderful hospitality and easy goin spirit. It helped me really relax and enjoy my weekend. I also want to thank Loni and his lovely wife Sarah for putting me up in their campsite. I would have been homeless and lonely if not for your generous invitation.

The highlight of the trip for me was the very cool people I met. The energy was great and everyone seemed to get along instantly. The other thing I really enjoyed was seeing the looks on peoples faces as we traveled through town or stopped at their place of business... If there was a small restaurant with only one bathroom, we managed to find it. "honey, lock the bathroom door"!

Without further ado...

Here Keith is giving a clinic on the finer points of sidestand usage in soft dune sand. I forgot to take notes but luckily it wasn't on the test.

vfrNW2.jpg

A couple brothers getting to know each other at the campsite

vfrNW3.jpg

Bookended by 6th gens seemed the theme of the weekend

vfrNW5.jpg

Beautiful evening for bs'ing.. oh wait what is that engine note I hear? Another VFR?... You bet!

vfrNW4.jpg

Campsite friend... never did catch his moniker but I think he also has a red 6th gen! argh.

vfrNW1.jpg

Okay, here is my first attempt at posting pictures so bear with me.....

Fallzboater's bugged up windshield from the butterfly genocide!

gallery_6336_2037_1405882.jpg

2006 NPT VFR Meet (33).JPG Butterfly Slaughter

Breakfast on Saturday in Newport (in the 50 degree range)

gallery_6336_2037_424123.jpg

2006 NPT VFR Meet (1).JPG

Wine tasting in 90 plus degrees at the Tyee winery

gallery_6336_2037_135479.jpg

2006 NPT VFR Meet (44).JPG Wine Tasting Stop

A wonderful site, 30 VFR's parked outside the lunch spot

gallery_6336_2037_816882.jpg

2006 NPT VFR Meet (62).JPG Lunch Stop Parking

Bikes in a Bar, should be a slogan for the Rogue IMHO

gallery_6336_2037_1182842.jpg

2006 NPT VFR Meet (117).JPG

Toasting Tony's Ticket, and not even for speeding :P

gallery_6336_2037_1225249.jpg

2006 NPT VFR Meet (93).JPG

And last but not least, the super-cool T-shirts that Keith made (modeled by a Canuck)

gallery_6336_2037_361752.jpg

2006 NPT VFR Meet (50).JPG

I will try to add more pictures into my gallery when I get them done.

Cheers,

Matt

• Member Contributer

Well,

Made from Newport to Morton on Sunday with CVVFR. Then completed the 1321 km trek home, parting ways with CVVFR in Surrey. No dog attack this time (more on this later).

Travelled another 5 hours to finally reach Kelowna just before 9 pm, another 12 riding day.

What a trip. So nice of Keith to have the local road maint. crew to sweep and prep all the wonderful routes.

Again, more on all that later. Want to leave you with but a couple of images. The two videos will

have to be worked on and sent out, as they are 8 and 18 Meg's each. The flyby is awesome. Once I find

out how to post it, you'll have to count (watching more than once helps).

Keith, thanks again for the organizing. Hispanicslammer, thanks again for building it so we would come.

Seeing as 2007 is in Van, WA, it will give us time to plan a Canuck Hosted PNW meet for '08?

Cheers to all

Didit (tony)

gallery_6587_2038_123096.jpg

Getting ready to head out Fri. AM from Hood River

gallery_6587_2038_87228.jpg

The butterflies were simply everywhere!

gallery_6587_2038_111626.jpg

Fri. evening when everyone was there.

• Member Contributer

I am sleepy but so its just these to pics for the night. I have a great story to tell all of you about our monday. I am going to call it the Misadventures of Thumper 8 and Silver#788 Auto bio and pics to come on that as well!!

For Fallzboater

P8190007.jpg

P8190006.jpg

Archived