Pnw Vfrd Meet II

• Member Contributer
At the east end of Cougar (don't blink or you'll miss it!) on the south side of the road is a little cafe with great sandwiches.

I'm going to go out on a limb here to make things simple - If you'd like to take a tour of the south and east sides of Mt. St. Helens on Thursday, starting at about 9:30 (10 at the latest, but please call if you want to join us but are running late), meet us at the Dairy Queen parking lot in Woodland, WA (just east of I-5 on Hwy 503). If you need a place to crash the night before (Wed. night, 8/16/06), my back yard is available for camping out (I have 2 tents for those who need them. The yard has a very slight slope downhill, but nothing you'll lose sleep over wink.gif ), ...and the restroom will be available too.

We can do lunch at the little cafe in Cougar at about 1:30/2:00 pm.

My cel number is 503-880-8053. Please feel free to call during daytime hours regarding VFRD Meet-related matters.

Lon

Finally have got my schedule figured out and I plan to meet you at the DQ in Woodland around 9:30 - I will call if I am running late.

Thumper 8,

Just so that you know, Sept 11th is the earliest that i would be leaving here, to head up there.

Would zip straight to Seattle, stop over night there, then zig-zag northward. i heard-tell of some area named Rainy Pass, that is to not be missed. Or so i am told.

I will bring both my BC and Wash State Destinations Highways book with me - you can go through the books and look at some of the different roads and routes. BTW, the Cascades highway from Marblemount to Winthrop is my favorite road in Washington State... and incidently is rated the #1 road by DH.

Newport! Newport!!!! NEWPORT!!!!!!!!

I can hardly wait...

I wish i was leaving today - looking at the work on my desk I wish I had left yesterday!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Can't wait till the 18th!!!! I have reservations for two, but due to the other halves work, I will be by myself, so if anyone is interested I have floor or I can change to a 2 bed room if needed.

Thought I would throw this out to see if anyone is in need.

Gary

V-FORE

Hotel: Days Inn Newport Or

544 SW COAST HWY 101

Newport, OR 97365

Telephone: 888-872-8356 (for questions about this reservation)

541 265-5767 (for other questions about the property)

Check In: Fri, Aug 18, 2006

Check Out: Sun, Aug 20, 2006

Nights: 2

Rooms 1 Queen - Smoking Handicap Access - Standard Amenities ( 2 Adults ) GARY PARKES

Guests: 2

• Member Contributer

First post just updated with new info and weather, which I'll try to start giving daily, if possible.

Going out to buy the shirts this morning. I'll do a couple of extra in each size for last-minute folks, and I'm sure that we can do more if necessary.

Rogue has printed up a flier and is distributing it all over, so we should expect a lot of company with us in the brewery that evening. We'll have a wash station set up for you, but it might help if you brought a few supplies of your won, such as a favorite wax rag, etc. Make those bikes shine. And if it's an experienced ride, show it with pride! I'm thinking of bringing the ancient Sabre, kind of like having the fossil goo we all evolved from there.

Also, anyone who still needs a place to pitch a tent can do so in my backyard. Oh, what the hell.

See you guys in a week.

Keith

• Member Contributer

I will post the final Saturday breakfast meeting place and ride route on Wed. evening, for those of you that get into Newport very late Friday and miss the open house at my place. I will also post my phone number. Look at the first post in the thread for it.

Weather is looking promising. See first post for links. Fingers crossed.

Keith

Awesome Keith! :thumbsup:

Looking foreward to a great weekend. Dr. Hypoxia (Hal) gave me a bit of news that is circulating from the Rogue and it should be a blast!

See you on Friday +1.gif

Matt

• Member Contributer
Dr. Hypoxia (Hal) gave me a bit of news that is circulating from the Rogue and it should be a blast!

I hope he didn't give away my secret? You'll all get one Saturday night. 'Cept for one particular person in the bunch who earned a particularly special prize.

Hey, I 'm grilling tuna Friday nite - you got any elk roast or something native to serve? How about some clams? I'm out. You shut us down, you bastage. :P

And any of the rest of you that want to bring something to share Friday evening, go ahead. I'll have some beers, etc., but go ahead and bring something if you've got a favorite to share.

Keith

• Member Contributer
I hope he didn't give away my secret? You'll all get one Saturday night. 'Cept for one particular person in the bunch who earned a particularly special prize.

Hey, I 'm grilling tuna Friday nite - you got any elk roast or something native to serve? How about some clams? I'm out. You shut us down, you bastage. :P

And any of the rest of you that want to bring something to share Friday evening, go ahead. I'll have some beers, etc., but go ahead and bring something if you've got a favorite to share.

Keith

Ya!!!???? should I whip up a batch of "moon cheese??" +1.gif

Yeah I think I might be out of clams as well. I will have to look in the freezer, sure there might be some "hot" ones in there for you +1.gif

I will see what I can find that isn't freezer burnt too bad :P . I have been getting screwed by the state and haven't drawn a tag in three years, thought I had connections guess not!

Matt

• Member Contributer
my offer is still open for trading a t-shirt or trinket.

i'll have 4 big rock beer shirts to trade with anyone who'll reciprocate. see y'all on friday.

I'll do it! Does Big Rock make good beer?

Keith

I'll do it! Does Big Rock make good beer?

Keith

dude, you already get one for being the organizer-extraordinaire. i'm trying to encourage some of the other american folk.

yes, big rock makes damn good beer. traditional types of beer, a microbrewery but they sell all across western canada.

i was going to bring you guys some but in light of the craziness with air line checks and border controls, i think i might get myself in trouble at the border.

OOOH! Trinkets for trade B) Guess I will need to stock up on some good ole Oregon cra... I mean goods for the Lewis and Clark type swap! Beer shirts are always welcome trades in my book :beer:

Matt

• Member Contributer
i was going to bring you guys some but in light of the craziness with air line checks and border controls, i think i might get myself in trouble at the border.

About fifteen years back, a bunch of us were riding up to Penticton on a big fund raiser. Andy, on his Gold Wing, was playing beer-wagon, with ice and beers in the big tail box. It was hot, and water was pouring out of the drainholes as the ice melted. We pulled up to the crossing, and the nice Canadian guy looked at Andy:

"Anything to declare, sir?"

"No, I can't think of anything" replies Andy

"What about the beer, sir?"

"Beer?"

"Yeah" and the Customs guy reaches back between the seat and tail box and pulls out a crumpled can that Andy had stuffed there and forgotten. Andy's jaw hits the asphalt.

The Customs guy looked at the water dripping down and smiled. "Enjoy Canada, sir".

Andy wasted no time.

• Member Contributer
The Customs guy looked at the water dripping down and smiled. "Enjoy Canada, sir".

:lol: Makes me long for the good old days. Now Andy would be getting the old rubber glove lovin' to determine whether he was hiding any other "weapons of mass destruction".

Everyone travel safe and use common sense crossing the border. Remember all your identification and check dates on proof of insurance! See you soon :beer:

• Member Contributer

BTW, the ride for Thursday is still on. I'd love to hear from any PDX riders who want to join in. PM or phone me, and we'll see you at DQ in Woodland at 9:30am.

About fifteen years back, a bunch of us were riding up to Penticton on a big fund raiser. Andy, on his Gold Wing, was playing beer-wagon, with ice and beers in the big tail box. It was hot, and water was pouring out of the drainholes as the ice melted. We pulled up to the crossing, and the nice Canadian guy looked at Andy:

"Anything to declare, sir?"

"No, I can't think of anything" replies Andy

"What about the beer, sir?"

"Beer?"

"Yeah" and the Customs guy reaches back between the seat and tail box and pulls out a crumpled can that Andy had stuffed there and forgotten. Andy's jaw hits the asphalt.

Andy wasted no time.

ha ha. what was it homer simpson said - "beer the solution to, and cause of, all of life's problems"

last time i came down i was read the riot act, so i don't think my hard luggage will contain any ice cold brewskis. darn.

• Member Contributer

for those of you looking to stay around until Monday, weather is calling for 40% chance of rain so bring some rain gear.

• Member Contributer
for those of you looking to stay around until Monday, weather is calling for 40% chance of rain so bring some rain gear.

Hey all, there's lots of places you can look, but the only reliable weather forecast for this section of the coast is: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecasts/ORZ002.p...mp;city=Newport

Sorry, but my living depends on knowing the weather.

No rain in sight, partly cloudy Monday. Typical August.

Still, this is Oregon. Listen to teleskier. Pack some raingear anyway.

Edit- another way to tell if it's going to rain here is to go to the marine forecast and see what the wind is supposed to do. Wind from the NW, N, or E means dry weather. NW wind 20mph plus means fog on 101 near the beach.

Keith

• Member Contributer

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is anyone from outside of the Portland/Vancouver, WA area meeting at the DQ for the Thursday ride? Thumper8 and friend have canceled, and were the only non-locals to say they intended to be there. If any non-locals still want a tour, please let me know, as I'd be happy to follow through on my offer. HOWEVER, IF NO ONE BUT LOCALS PLAN ON THE ST. HELENS TOUR, I'LL GO AHEAD AND WORK THURSDAY AND WILL NOT BE AT THE DAIRY QUEEN.

Once again, please let me know affirmatively if you're coming from afar and still want the tour. Otherwise, you'll hate me as of Thursday!!!

Thanks,

Lon

• Member Contributer

Looks like a fluke in work schedule will allow me to participate. Live at Cathlamet not to far from Newport. Will postpone vfr maintenance a little while longer I guess...

• Member Contributer

At this point, Superfunkomatic is still tentatively on for the St. Helens ride Thursday, and will hopefully let me know for sure tomorrow (Wed). If you'd like to join us, let me know.

Lon

• Member Contributer

I'm still planning on 4 riders from BC/AB to meet me in Hood River on Thursday evening, and one from Portland area on Friday morning. See Route Planning to Newport thread, I've edited the first post. Another local vifferer has offered space at his place, too, so we should all be pretty comfortable.

No word on Hwy 35 opening yet. If not, we'll just have to take a slightly longer, but more fun, route. smile.gif

• Member Contributer
I'm still planning on 4 riders from BC/AB to meet me in Hood River on Thursday evening, and one from Portland area on Friday morning. See Route Planning to Newport thread, I've edited the first post. Another local vifferer has offered space at his place, too, so we should all be pretty comfortable.

No word on Hwy 35 opening yet. If not, we'll just have to take a slightly longer, but more fun, route. smile.gif

See you tomorrow - I am planning on meeting Magellan for lunch @ Cougar, trying to hook up with CVVFR somewhere and heading to Hood River tomorrow.

Let the sun shine :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Anyone heading up I5 on Friday?

We plan on leaving reno around 7am up 395 then over towards reading then up I5. Hopefully get in around 4pm :D

Drop me a note if you are headed up that way Friday afternoon

• Member Contributer
Anyone heading up I5 on Friday?

We plan on leaving reno around 7am up 395 then over towards reading then up I5. Hopefully get in around 4pm :D

Drop me a note if you are headed up that way Friday afternoon

I was just going to PM you Alan......are you takeing I5 to Corvallis or comeing up from below????My Friend Joel bought a 6th gen, Red like my old one cause he wanted the quickest color. :blink: Any way....hes comeing to the meet......you like him, real pick pocket sort Of dude!!! :P

Archived