Pnw Vfrd Meet II

• Member Contributer

For you folks heading to Newport from up north, feel free to come through Vancouver, Washington on Thursday. You can camp out here on Wed nite, ride to Mt St. Helens with me on Thursday, and any who want to can ride to Newport together Thursday eve. PM me if you want a Wed night pit-stop in Vancouver and/or ride up to St. Helens.

Lon

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keith,

i'm still planning on coming - Whaaaa-Freak'n-Whoo.

Can you get me an XL shirt too?

Note that i am considering (if there is a good spot on the shirt) getting my name "flailer" printed on the shirt - so i can wear it at other meets with pride.

Thanks for all your efforts :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Hey Keith.., Windwalker and Glasshole will be making the trek from Seattle. Please put us down for a shirt (larges) each. Looking forward to meeting everyone. Thank you for all of your efforts should be good fun.

windwalker. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Hi Keith,

1 large and 1 medium. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Thanks for all the hard work.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like we're going to have a lot of people here. I'm starting to wonder, oh my god, what have I started.....

But it's OK. Vifferista will spontaneously combust into partying whenever you get more than about, oh, 3 of them together with a beer catalyst.

The cutoff date for getting in a t-shirt order has to be August 6. I will go buy the sizes that we need from Rogue and take them to the screen printer. I'll still take orders after that, but I may not be able to have them ready at the meet, that's all.

I was out riding the first half of the Saturday loop this afernoon. 150 miles of fun. Looks like the morning will be for riding the backroads, and the afternoon for stopping at scenic spots, taking photos, lying to each other, and just having fun. (It was kind of funny listening to myself in the corners saying "Easy you idiot! You can't throw it away until AFTER the meet!")

Tonight it's out to sea for a few more days, I'll check in on this when I'm back-

Keith

• Member Contributer

Put me down for an extra large 'T'.

Hope there is a hotel room left or I'll be sleeping under the stars - or at least the pipes!

• Member Contributer
Can we get a Canadian Contingent schedule and maybe some meet dates/points.

I'm about 80% sure I'm coming and would really enjoy riding down with some fellow

'nucks.

Besides, I have no idea what route to take, to maximize both timing and twisties.

Would like to leave Kelowna on Thurs. and be home Sunday, what happens in between

will be nothing but fun.

If you leave Kelowna early (maybe very early?) Thursday morning, you should be able to make the border at the Truck Crossing by 10:00 am or 11:00-ish. Alternatively, we could meet at the Sumas crossing in the Fraser Valley and save you a trip through peak hour traffic in Vancouver - which can be a complete nightmare! We could take some backroads and stay off I-5 that way. Not sure where other riders (if any) would want to meet.... in the original thread, I seem to remember someone (maybe Jane?) staying in Vancouver Wednesday night?

For you folks heading to Newport from up north, feel free to come through Vancouver, Washington on Thursday. You can camp out here on Wed nite, ride to Mt St. Helens with me on Thursday, and any who want to can ride to Newport together Thursday eve. PM me if you want a Wed night pit-stop in Vancouver and/or ride up to St. Helens.

Lon

If we are meeting on our side of the border somewhere on Thursday morning, we can set up a meeting place somewhere around Mt St Helens on Thursday early afternoon (lunch break?), but we will need tent space or a motel for Thursday night - I haven't booked anything yet for Thursday night. Then we can head to Newport on Friday - this may not suit your plans if you planned to head to Newport on Thursday evening. I think coming from Kelowna and then scooting around Mt St Helens would be a long day for Didit as is.

I am flexible - any idea of the time from Mt St Helens area to Newport??

Tony (aka Thumper 8)

Put me down for an extra large 'T'.

Hope there is a hotel room left or I'll be sleeping under the stars - or at least the pipes!

I just cancelled my reservation at Econo-Lodge just down the street from the brewery if your hunting for a spot.

Still no sign of the thievin' bastages who decided they needed my bike more than I did.

The lady and I won't be attending the ride this year.

sad sad.gif

Tony,

Depends where on Mt St Helens your talking, but I'd estimate 2 hours to Portland and then 2-3 hours to Newport. Total trip 4-6 hours from St Helens. Probably closer to 5-6 hours. I've ridden both many times but never kept track of time, just cruisin. :D sorry

• Member Contributer
If we are meeting on our side of the border somewhere on Thursday morning, we can set up a meeting place somewhere around Mt St Helens on Thursday early afternoon (lunch break?), but we will need tent space or a motel for Thursday night - I haven't booked anything yet for Thursday night. Then we can head to Newport on Friday - this may not suit your plans if you planned to head to Newport on Thursday evening. I think coming from Kelowna and then scooting around Mt St Helens would be a long day for Didit as is.

I've got tent or floor space in Hood River, OR, (about 30 minutes East of Carson, WA) if anyone wants to stay here Thursday night after St. Helens ride (I get home by 6pm). There's also a free outdoor "Families in the Park" concert here about 4 blocks from my house that evening. I can plan a very fun route from here to Newport on Friday morning, probably 3-4 hours, depending on how many back roads we want to take (definitely avoiding I-5). Rowena Curves before heading south would be a worthwhile side trip on the way in or out of town.

• Member Contributer
I've got tent or floor space in Hood River, OR, (about 30 minutes East of Carson, WA) if anyone wants to stay here Thursday night after St. Helens ride (I get home by 6pm). There's also a free outdoor "Families in the Park" concert here about 4 blocks from my house that evening. I can plan a very fun route from here to Newport on Friday morning, probably 3-4 hours, depending on how many back roads we want to take (definitely avoiding I-5). Rowena Curves before heading south would be a worthwhile side trip on the way in or out of town.

I've been in touch with CVVFR, regarding travel from Kelowna. Yes, I feel it may be a bit of a long ride

from here, to do everything in one day, but we may tag up Wed. night, then depart early Thurs. to take

in the Mt. St. Helens. Accomodating a floor space would be appreciated, as I am tentless.

Bonus having someone to know the best route to bring us into Newport on Friday.

I would invite any and all to PM me, as I am in phone contact with CVVFR to try and get things arranged.

Send along either your number or direct email so we can get this confirmed. Would really like to have all

plans in pace by the Monday before, at the latest.

I'll be looking for the Sharmen along the way, keeping the backside comfy on the stock seat.

Cheers,

didit

i'll be leaving wednesday morning from calgary, end up somewhere in washington for the night. so i'll hopefully run into you guys at mt. st. helens on the thursday. keep your eyes peeled for a red 2005 fully loaded! :D

i'll be taking it easy, taking lots of pics and stopping a lot since i've got ZERO ligaments in both knees. so i'm not sure how far i'll make it each day but i'll be there (newport, OR) mid-afternoon or so on friday.

i'll be bringing some t-shirts of a calgary brewery - big rock and a few local dealership shirts in black - blackfoot motorsports.

see you there.

Oh "Master of the Meet" (aka KeithBob),

i have several tour trips planned; so can we add to your agenda a meeting of like minded touring folks?

On my mind are trips, this year, to:

Trip 1) Yosemite / Tahoe / Kings Canyon area tour (soon, in month or so)

Trip 2) Whistler / BC Sound area (2-odd months from now)

Trip 3) Topless beaches & Hot Springs tour (anytime, anywhere, any ideas anyone??)

Trip 4) Colorado, Aspen tree viewing tour (Best time unknown, Fall?)

Trip 5) Open

?Who else is interested in touring before the snow flys? :thumbsup:

flailer inc

• Member Contributer

This could be a great option for thursday night, with a guided tour to Newport smile.gif I may be able to pack a tent - I am going to do a 'test load' on the bike this weekend... I just have to find my tent.

i'll be leaving wednesday morning from calgary, end up somewhere in washington for the night. so i'll hopefully run into you guys at mt. st. helens on the thursday. keep your eyes peeled for a red 2005 fully loaded! :D

i'll be taking it easy, taking lots of pics and stopping a lot since i've got ZERO ligaments in both knees. so i'm not sure how far i'll make it each day but i'll be there (newport, OR) mid-afternoon or so on friday.

i'll be bringing some t-shirts of a calgary brewery - big rock and a few local dealership shirts in black - blackfoot motorsports.

see you there.

I haven't been to Mt St Helens in a while, but if someone who has been more recently and knows a good meeting spot for lunch, feel free to post up!

Oh "Master of the Meet" (aka KeithBob),

i have several tour trips planned; so can we add to your agenda a meeting of like minded touring folks?

On my mind are trips, this year, to:

Trip 1) Yosemite / Tahoe / Kings Canyon area tour (soon, in month or so)

Trip 2) Whistler / BC Sound area (2-odd months from now)

Trip 3) Topless beaches & Hot Springs tour (anytime, anywhere, any ideas anyone??)

Trip 4) Colorado, Aspen tree viewing tour (Best time unknown, Fall?)

Trip 5) Open

?Who else is interested in touring before the snow flys? :thumbsup:

flailer inc

I can be a tour guide for any rip up to, and around Whistler etc... time permitting. I am heading up there this weekend!

• Member Contributer
This could be a great option for thursday night, with a guided tour to Newport smile.gif I may be able to pack a tent - I am going to do a 'test load' on the bike this weekend... I just have to find my tent.

You wouldn't need a tent for my place. It turns out I'll be the only one here, so there's plenty of space either inside, or I have extra tents. No issues with bike parking/washing, whatever, here, too.

I found a nice duffel that will easily fit my small backpacking tent, bag, pad, stove, and clothes for the weekend. Maybe 20-25 lb. I just toss it on the pillion seat with a cam strap under the grab handles.

• Member Contributer

Hey Keithbob,

I've been reading this thread for a couple of weeks and it's been killin me smile.gif

I'm in Memphis... way too far to come, but Newport is one of my my favorite places and I'm sure an incredible area to ride!!

We've spent more than one night in that Rogue brewpub on the bay there. Love the lighthouse.

I'm sure it will be a large time by all. Let me know if a non-attendee can get a couple of shirts.

Mark

• Member Contributer
I haven't been to Mt St Helens in a while, but if someone who has been more recently and knows a good meeting spot for lunch, feel free to post up!

At the east end of Cougar (don't blink or you'll miss it!) on the south side of the road is a little cafe with great sandwiches.

I'm going to go out on a limb here to make things simple - If you'd like to take a tour of the south and east sides of Mt. St. Helens on Thursday, starting at about 9:30 (10 at the latest, but please call if you want to join us but are running late), meet us at the Dairy Queen parking lot in Woodland, WA (just east of I-5 on Hwy 503). If you need a place to crash the night before (Wed. night, 8/16/06), my back yard is available for camping out (I have 2 tents for those who need them. The yard has a very slight slope downhill, but nothing you'll lose sleep over wink.gif ), ...and the restroom will be available too :D ).

We can do lunch at the little cafe in Cougar at about 1:30/2:00 pm.

My cel number is 503-880-8053. Please feel free to call during daytime hours regarding VFRD Meet-related matters.

Lon

I can be a tour guide for any rip up to, and around Whistler etc... time permitting. I am heading up there this weekend!

Thumper 8,

Just so that you know, Sept 11th is the earliest that i would be leaving here, to head up there.

Would zip straight to Seattle, stop over night there, then zig-zag northward. i heard-tell of some area named Rainy Pass, that is to not be missed. Or so i am told.

• Member Contributer
i heard-tell of some area named Rainy Pass, that is to not be missed. Or so i am told.

Rainy Pass is on the North Cascades Highway across the top of Washington, and is most definitely not to be missed.

Keith

If you'd like to take a tour of the south and east sides of Mt. St. Helens on Thursday, starting at about 9:30 (10 at the latest, but please call if you want to join us but are running late), meet us at the Dairy Queen parking lot in Woodland, WA (just east of I-5 on Hwy 503). Lon

hey lon,

sounds good, i'll see if i can make it at your meeting point. once again, i'll be pokey so i'm not sure how long i'll be to get down there. i'll do my best to hook up with you fellas at the dairy queen as a guided tour of mt st helens would be great.

thanx all for the suggestion for accomodations as well. i think i'll be okay but if i get stuck somewhere i have your phone numbers just in case.

• Member Contributer
Canadian Update:

CVVFR and myself (didit) are going to meet around Sumas and head down to meet up with fallzboater and take him up on the accomodations offer. Any other Northerners wanting to join up with us are welcome & I would suggest PM to fallzboater to check on his space availability.

See you all on the Friday morning! Looking forward to this brewery as I used to be a brewmaster.

In Canada, if you don't drink enough of it, you make it!

Cheers,

didit

A big public thanks to fallzboater for the offer to put us up and guide us over. Reward is on it's way to you.

No problem. Any other BC, WA, or Portland-area riders that want to stop over in Hood River are welcome. We'll just have to figure out how early need to get down to the Newport area on Friday, or if we want to meet up with others at some intermediate location to the east mid-day Friday.

• Member Contributer
No problem. Any other BC, WA, or Portland-area riders that want to stop over in Hood River are welcome. We'll just have to figure out how early need to get down to the Newport area on Friday, or if we want to meet up with others at some intermediate location to the east mid-day Friday.

Many thanks to everyone who has offered accommodation for road-weary canuckleheads. I am not sure if I will join up w/ Magellan or meet Didit at the Sumas crossing yet... thanks again for giving us so many options. I am away from the computer 'til Tuesday (long weekend - yee haw!) ... got the weekend to decide route and timing.

Tony.

• Member Contributer

It's a beautiful morning, and I'm off to do some more route planning for our Saturday ride. Yeah, I'm going for a ride. And I'm going to book a place for us all to have breakfast together at. LOTS of mouths and bellies are showing up.

I will be at sea Aug 7-8-9, so you've now got till the 10th to put in a t-shirt order.

New first post update this morning, 8-6-06. Make sure to get those t-shirt orders in by posting here or PM by Thursday (8/10) latest. I will send out my phone number to all those who have sent me an email address. I will eventually PM those who don't, but it sure makes things a lot easier if I can send to a group address. Thanks to all for understanding!

At this point, it looks like breakfast Saturday at the Drift Inn in Yachats, and lunch at Gathering Together Farms in Philomath, both excellent places to eat and relax. Still working on where to meet up for our Sunday morning feast, maybe the Drift Inn again?

The trouble is, there are lots of really superb breakfast places in Newport, but none that can handle all of us as a group at once. I'm pondering just saying that we should get breakfast on our own Saturday morning, recommend my favorite spots to you, and then meet up again at my house for the ride at about 9, leaving at 9:30, and have a big group breakfast at the Drift Inn on Sunday am for the big teary-eyed goodbyes and sticking some poor bastage with, er, finding out where next year's meet will be.

Any input on that? Maybe I'm trying to organize too much, and I should just worry about Sunday morning. I'll check this before I go tonight, otherwise, I'll talk to you again on Thursday.

And you have NO IDEA HOW PUMPED I AM ABOUT THIS MEET!! (top-secret photos arrived this morning from BusyLittleShop)

Keith

• Member Contributer

My wife and I are trying to make plans to attend. Once we have the kids sorted out it just might work for us!

Archived