what to wear under your leathers?

teleskier

• Member Contributer

Bike (cycling) shorts work great. On long trips I always take several pairs.

I actually use a set of Burton snowboard light first layers. It breathes well, and makes it easy to get leathers off and on, reduces sweat. But the biggest thing is the long sleeve top has thumbholes to prevent the sleeves from riding up. I wore them while it snowed here a few weeks ago on a ride with my leathers all zipped up, cozy as could be. If it is warm I unzip my leather vents and I stay cool. It works for me.

• Member Contributer
with the risk of getting personal here as well as posting a dumb questions, what do you all wear under your leathers?

I am thinking something that is thin, breathes well etc. like a pair of silk long johns.

for some of us bigger guys with one piece suits, its mens briefs and a shower in baby powder to get it on. sometimes it is still too tight so i dust off some of the powder and try again. another pound or two and i have to shave my body to get that suit on!

• Member Contributer
for some of us bigger guys with one piece suits, its mens briefs and a shower in baby powder to get it on. sometimes it is still too tight so i dust off some of the powder and try again. another pound or two and i have to shave my body to get that suit on!

:pissed: :goofy: :beer:

• Member Contributer

I buy the cheaper bike (cycling) shorts,about $12 each. They have a foam crotch. With these type shorts and some powder at the start of every day I had no problems during our 14 day 6000 mile ride.

• Member Contributer
Do all the cycling shorts have a gel type of insert?  And is this what makes them so comfortable?

Some have a gel pad but most are synthetic. Some are actually leather or chamois. The more you spend equates to better quality padding and the stitching on the seams is more comfortable. Make sure you wash them regularly during the summer or you'll get saddle sores......you don't want to know. Chamois Butt'r is good too if you tend to chafe while riding. :lol: Imagine coating the pad on your shorts with a big glop of cold hand lotion and then pulling them up!! :o Sorry, got carried away.....it's a bicycling thing.

Bicycle shorts: http://www.performancebike.com/

Chamois Butt'r: http://www.pacelineproducts.com/products/chamois.html

Guest steves1150
with the risk of getting personal here as well as posting a dumb questions, what do you all wear under your leathers?

I am thinking something that is thin, breathes well etc. like a pair of silk long johns.

Not a dumb question at all...If I lived in Eureka, which I sometimes wish I did, I'd go for "technical" thin long underwear. www.campmor.com is a good place to look for quality microfiber tees and long johns.

In the summer, I prefer padded bicycle shorts and a tee shirt under my First Gear leathers. If it's really hot I avoid the leathers completely and go with a one piece Aerostich.

Cheers,

Steve

Some have a gel pad but most are synthetic.  Some are actually leather or chamois.  The more you spend equates to better quality padding and the stitching on the seams is more comfortable.  Make sure you wash them regularly during the summer or you'll get saddle sores......you don't want to know.  Chamois Butt'r is good too if you tend to chafe while riding.  :lol:  Imagine coating the pad on your shorts with a big glop of cold hand lotion and then pulling them up!! :o  Sorry, got carried away.....it's a bicycling thing. 

Bicycle shorts:  http://www.performancebike.com/

Chamois Butt'r:  http://www.pacelineproducts.com/products/chamois.html

Darn :pissed: They want a small fortune for some of those shorts 179.99 I thought I saw for one pair?

• Member Contributer
Darn  :pissed:  They want a small fortune for some of those shorts  179.99 I thought I saw for one pair?

Yep....you got to keep looking. They have some for around $20

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/sub_ca...l=0&searchSize=

Gel, foam, chamois? Silk? That special new brokeback material? :pissed:

Good old cotton undies, white socks, and a VFRD T shirt.

If it's cold, the good old cotton long Johns from K-Mart. :beer:

Huhuh, I buy all my underwear at K-Mart. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

those suits would be great for someone who can wear a stock off the rack suit but because of my thigh size (from weights and bicycling) I can't. I have to have a stretch material. Hell, I can't even buy off the rack jeans like the rest of the world and all of my slacks are custom tailored.

those suits would be great for someone who can wear a stock off the rack suit but because of my thigh size (from weights and bicycling) I can't. I have to have a stretch material. Hell, I can't even buy off the rack jeans like the rest of the world and all of my slacks are custom tailored.

So you're like the guy in the Progressive commercial, "When you told you insurance company you had saddlebags..." :lol:

Just kidding! Funny commercials tho! :D

• Member Contributer
So you're like the guy in the Progressive commercial, "When you told you insurance company you had saddlebags..."  :lol:

Just kidding! Funny commercials tho! :D

I was going to reply to that but I best leave well enough alone.

• Member Contributer

The one piece suits by co's like Receka and Psycleskins are definitely stretchy, so if you want to go one piece they as well as many others should work for you.

But like I said above, the one piece units are definitely much more of a pain to ah...."work" with if and when you've ah..got to "drop a buddy" :pissed: .......you've got to kind of drop your suit as well.

With two pieces atleast you can keep your shirt on :lol:

• Member Contributer

Depends. Makes clean up easy.

• Member Contributer
Bike (cycling) shorts work great.  On long trips I always take several pairs.

I ride bikes 10+ hours a week when the weather is nice I don't skimp on bike shorts. If you have to go cheap, try performance Gel Chamois shorts. $20 shorts are a waste of money. The most I have paid is about $100, and they are worth very penny. Good thing they last for years.

But Man, all day in a Chamois? That just does not work for me. The biggest improvement in comfort, was my Sargent seat. Bike shorts did nothing for me.

I have the same issue to some degree. My legs are huge. I wear one of the Psycleskin suits. They are very stretchy. I don't remember exactly where I got it from last year though. I was $75 if I remember right though. It is now much easier to put the leather suit on by myself even with a back protector on. Before the suit there was no way I could do it. The leather always hung up on my skin or t-shirt somewhere. I ended up with the X-Large.

Motostrano

Motorpsycle

Helmet Harbor

• Member Contributer

Too lazy to read entire thread but my husband SWEARS by UnderArmor brand shorts/shirts/etc. He is a hot natured guy and wears them under his fire suit. I have a couple of things myself and when the air hits that stuff you can really feel it!!

You have an oxygen mask fitted up to the bike yet?? How about a way to strap your walker to the bike???

I gotta safety wire the walker bracket so it'll be legal in CCS and WERA... smile.gif

Too lazy to read entire thread but my husband SWEARS by UnderArmor brand shorts/shirts/etc.  He is a hot natured guy and wears them under his fire suit.  I have a couple of things myself and when the air hits that stuff you can really feel it!!

That's no lie! I have the long "pants" and when you pull off the riding pants it's almost cold, no matter how hot it is. They help keep you cool while you're riding as well. They work. Plain and simple.

Archived