Starter relay connector a little melty!

DaveC61

Just starting to work my way around a “new to me” 2002. The PO was the second owner who I know and trust, he has a couple of other bikes that he keeps in good condition and he seems to confidently know his way around them all. This one has 75000kms most of which the PO put on. It is bone-stock, he did note that the original owner had an alarm system installed, and he had a dealership remove it when he bought the bike. I stating to pull cowlings off and give it a once over, checking to ensure correct fuses are in place, wiring looks good along with a mechanical inspection… first thing I noted today was the condition of the connector for the Starter Relay, melted a bit as the photo shows. I can easily swap out the connector, but I’m wondering if this is a sign of something else I should be aware of, or maybe not so unusual for this model and mileage, 

cheers, 

IMG_0798.jpeg

IMG_0790.jpeg

Check the fuse B by the battery also. It has a tendency to melt also.

Mine was melted there also, and I had a poor connection from the key switch double red wires to the plug it connects to the harness at.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, DaveC61 said:

I’m wondering if this is a sign of something else I should be aware of, or maybe not so unusual for this model and mileage, 

This isn't an unusual occurrence on any VFR model. It is mostly a sign that you should go through all the electrical connectors on your VFR and clean & repair as needed. All the contacts on your starter relay could use some TLC, so chances are that they aren't the only ones.

Good luck, 

• Member Contributer
56 minutes ago, Lorne said:

This isn't an unusual occurrence on any VFR Honda model.

Fix it for you....Honda uses the same part on near all bike models...

@DaveC61 it's probably time to do a charging system check too...

• Member Contributer

All good suggestions above, here's a bit more to help you out.... Very nice looking bike you have.

1.When you replace that plug suggest using one like in the photo attached having better quality tinned spade connectors.

2. Why not do a simple mod to take advantage of the 4th connection in the Starter Relay which is also a connection to Main Fuse A. Splice this connection into the main Red wire. Really will help by sharing the current through both spade connections instead of just the one. See attached.

3. Apply a coating of Ox-Gard to these terminals, along with the legs of the two Main 30amp Fuses.

Then hopefully, you'll never have a Starter Relay connector issue for the life of the bike!

IMG_1003.JPG

Original Starter Relay wiring.

Starter_Wiring_Mod1.png

Mod to add extra Red wire.

Starter_Wirind_Mod.png

Ox-Gard 

OX-100B_PKG_01.jpg

• Member Contributer

Every time that this stuff gets mentioned I can only think that it keeps these away. 

Oxen.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 5/8/2023 at 12:33 AM, DaveC61 said:

first thing I noted today was the condition of the connector for the Starter Relay, melted a bit as the photo shows. I can easily swap out the connector, but I’m wondering if this is a sign of something else I should be aware of, or maybe not so unusual for this model and mileage, 

I believe Cycle Terminal has the red connector housings.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

I recommend upgrading from Honda's low-cost specs of bare-brass terminals and getting coated terminals so they won't corrode as easily and repeat this vicious cycle again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255432841140

https://kojaycat.co.uk/epages/950000457.mobile/en_GB/;ClassicView=1?ObjectPath=/Shops/950000457/Products/SFC4WR

uc?export=download&id=106bsc0DSJ0Y-il-KP

• Member Contributer

Ah, you got pigtail. Be sure to do as good joint as possible with western-union/linesman knot, solder and adhesive heatshrink wrap for mechanical strength, conductivity and corrosion resistance. Don't need to pre-tin these bigger wires.

uc?export=download&id=1pXqm5Wih-R0X0V9_z

Archived