Are my tires stock?

Ok so first of all. I'm new to these forums so for everyone out there, hello and thanks for having me. In my earlier years I had a 94 vfr.  Absolutely loved it. Now here I am with 2014 and it is just such a beautiful bike. Cannot wait to really open it up. BUT when inspecting the bike, I realized that perhaps the tires maybe are stock. There is tons of tread left but I just want to make sure they are not stock. The bike has 4k on it. Here is a picture of what I believe to be the date code which would in fact make them made in 2012. In which case I should not be riding on these tires. 

20230303_112452.jpg

received_919059995790894.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Welcome and congratulations from CT. Well,  I personally would change these asap. If these were new and stored in a climate controlled warehouse, it maybe and just maybe have been a different story. 12 years is a long time for a tire even with rubber left on it when exposed to nature.

• Member Contributer

Highly subjective. I love my Dunlop Roadsmarts. 

9 hours ago, JonnyBgood said:

Here is a picture of what I believe to be the date code which would in fact make them made in 2012.

It doesn't look like the date code to me. Also I think the RS III was introduced in 2016

This is how the DOT code looks like:

bandendot.jpg

Week 23, year 2010

• Member Contributer

Not in Australia. We had Dunlop D222s and IMHO they were rubbish. I am currently using Dunlop Roadsmart IVs and find them perfect for the VFR. I have also tried Pirelli Angel GT11s, also a great tyre, but they wear a bit faster than the Dunlops.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, JonnyBgood said:

Ok so first of all. I'm new to these forums so for everyone out there, hello and thanks for having me. In my earlier years I had a 94 vfr.  Absolutely loved it. Now here I am with 2014 and it is just such a beautiful bike. Cannot wait to really open it up. BUT when inspecting the bike, I realized that perhaps the tires maybe are stock. There is tons of tread left but I just want to make sure they are not stock. The bike has 4k on it. Here is a picture of what I believe to be the date code which would in fact make them made in 2012. In which case I should not be riding on these tires. 

20230303_112452.jpg

received_919059995790894.jpeg

If the bike is a 2014 with only 4k miles on it the tyres are quite likely the originals and probably 2012s.

I 've had Michelin Road 5s on my 2007 RWB 25th as well as my current 2014 Storm trooper white VFR.

They are an amazing tire both in grip, ride quality and longevity. There is the Road 6 now but I still feel the Road 5 tread pattern actually looks better and judging from the reviews the difference between the two tires is not much difference. Slightly better rain and longevity but like I said its slight.

Good luck.

Archived