VFR800 PARTS COMPATABILITY

Hingley

• Member Contributer

I have a 1999 VFR800 and was thinking I would start to gather up a few of the harder to find components before they are non existent

I know the 1998 and 1999 are the same but in 2000 Honda updated the VFR800 with O2 sensors on the exhaust system.

The ECU on the 2000 and 2001 have a part number that is different from the earlier two years, but does anyone know if the updated ECU will work on the earlier models?

I do see that from 1998 to 2001 Honda used the same fuel injectors in the throttle body even though they went from a choke cable system to the WAX choke system.

While we are at it are there other components that a person should gather up if the opportunity comes up?

• Member Contributer

Apart from the O2 sensors, the 2000/2001 model headers actually have smaller diameter tubes, so you might actually might be losing some performance. However, if those are the only headers you can find, you can always use O2 sensor bung plugs, which essentially just block the sensor ports on the headers, so no need to change CPU or wiring harness. Or, you if you have $ to spend, you can look into the headers that fellow VFRD member sfdownhill are having built soon, just waiting on deposits. That being said, I thought I had a set of 98/99 headers in my garage but I'd have to double check.

Cheers,

D

HEADER THREAD LINK:

Are sixth and eighth generation water pumps compatible with the 5th?  The pump numbers are all different, but the drawings all look the same.  Mounting screws appear to all be the same length and the shaft side o-ring part# is the same for all.

7 hours ago, comradeQuestion said:

The newer water pumps (2000 and newer) have an extra nipple added for the fast idle wax unit.  I've read on here that all the years of 800's will fit each other other than the fast idle unit hose connector.

The taps for the wax idle unit aren't off the pump, at least on the 2000 they aren't.  One tap is on a large elbow fitting on the left side of the engine closer to the V, and the other comes off the thermostat pod.  The smaller nipple on the top of the pump is the bypass tube from the thermostat pod.

• Member Contributer

There's so much knowledge on this list...I wish it were in a non-forum format! 🙂

• Member Contributer
On 2/17/2023 at 3:36 PM, Hingley said:

I have a 1999 VFR800 and was thinking I would start to gather up a few of the harder to find components before they are non existent

I like that idea. 

What parts do we think are rare and worth stocking up on? 

3 hours ago, vfrgiving said:

The taps for the wax idle unit aren't off the pump, at least on the 2000 they aren't.  One tap is on a large elbow fitting on the left side of the engine closer to the V, and the other comes off the thermostat pod.  The smaller nipple on the top of the pump is the bypass tube from the thermostat pod.

Ugh, I was mistaken.  Yes, the water pumps appear to have the same hose connectors on them.  Its the thermostat case that has the extra nipple for the fast idle wax unit.  Honda changed the part number for the water pump cover gasket between the 5th and 6th gen, but the o-ring that seals the pump body to the engine case is the same part.

• Member Contributer

For me I would like to have a spare ECU, throttle body, brake calipers and rebuild kits, dash and of course fairing pieces, etc. etc, really the list never ends.

Of course it does not help that I am a pack rat when it comes to spares, still have a new rear original tube bumper in the garage for my 1989 toyota 4x4 truck, hope I never need it

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Skids said:

I like that idea. 

I'm thinking the same.

Parts for older VFR's are harder to find and I don't intend selling my 98 ever. Any input very appreciated 👍 

• Member Contributer

Regarding water pump, my recollection is that I took the one off of my 01 and put it on my 09, when that one failed on me at the track. Since my 09 is my commuter mostly, I needed to have it back up and running while I ordered a new water pump. Here are pics of both generations, but don't remember which gen is is which in the photos (oops).

IMG_3985.JPG

IMG_3986.JPG

IMG_3987.JPG

• Member Contributer

This is all very interesting, I must be old but I see a pretty large different in the two water pump designs

not sure which is which but they sure look different, I am surprised that the 01 worked on the 09 from what I can see for mating surfaces

• Member Contributer

The casting mark "MV9" indicates that this pump (both pumps, actually) were originally designed for the 1992 CBR600FN.  I'd say they are probably functionally identical.

Ciao,

JZH

Archived