Average clutch life

Fritzer

• Member Contributer

Just curious what kind of clutch friction plate life people are getting on their 5th gen VFRs.  Clutch on my machine was replaced 30,000 ago.  I am getting ready for a 3,500 mile trip this summer from Oregon thru N Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Washington.  Should I replace my clutch before I leave?

• Member Contributer

I think, it all depends how you treat your clutch.  My vfr has 36k miles and it still feels like no wear. I had several bikes with close to 40k miles and never had clutch wear issues (mostly backroads with a lot of shifting) 

I hope, I did not jinx my clutch with this statement!

• Member Contributer
50 minutes ago, Fritzer said:

Just curious what kind of clutch friction plate life people are getting on their 5th gen VFRs.  Clutch on my machine was replaced 30,000 ago.  I am getting ready for a 3,500 mile trip this summer from Oregon thru N Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Washington.  Should I replace my clutch before I leave?

My 8G has 88,000km on it and the clutch is still feeling fine.

• Member Contributer

Isn't this a kind of "how long is a piece of string" topic? Just so many variables.

- acceleration rate from stationary.

- up shift, down shift technique.

- slow riding technique, use of clutch friction zone.

- type of friction modifiers in the oil you use

- etc!

For info, previous vfr 94,000kms and current 8gen vfr 92,000kms. No clutch issues at all.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

1998 VFR.  Replaced clutch plates and friction discs and springs at 90K miles because clutch was starting to get a little grabby starting off in first gear .  All springs and friction plates and springs measures in spec and identical to OEM replacements.  I only replaced them because I have already purchased new parts.  In hindsight I probably could have deglazed the friction discs and put the old ones back in and reused them.  If the clutch is preforming well now, not slipping under load or excessively grabby I would not worry about it before your trip.

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Grum said:

Isn't this a kind of "how long is a piece of string" topic? Just so many variables.

- acceleration rate from stationay.

- up shift, down shift technique.

- slow riding technique, use of clutch friction zone.

- type of friction modifiers in the oil you use

- etc!

For info, previous vfr 94,000kms and current 8gen vfr 92,000kms. No clutch issues at all.

Exactly as stated!

• Member Contributer

My '86 RC24 has 96K-miles on original clutch. I installed stiffer Barnett springs about 10-yrs in. I only use clutch for taking off in 1st, and downshifting. Haven't measured, but I suspect it's about 50% worn, going from mileage on clutches on my other bikes. I also have most of original OEM rear brake-pads too.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the input.  When I purchased my machine in 2015, the seller gave me all the service records he had.  They showed that he had the clutch replaced at 34K miles just before putting it up for sale, hence my concerns for long trip.  I do not excessively use my clutch so with all your feedback I feel good not worrying about it.  Thanks again.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Fwiw (and ymmv), I put ~90K km on four of my VFRs, two 3rd gens, a 5th gen, and  a 6th gen - which is my current ride. None of them indicated any clutch issues. 

Went thru a lot of tires, tho 😉

• Like 3