Jump to content

What a difference a year makes...


Recommended Posts

Been a while since I've been on here - real life getting in the way (of everything!!) but finally find myself with some more time to myself... and a new bike.

 

I've had my 1997 VFR750 for nearly 25yrs and I'm forever in love with it. But since buying it in the UK and having moved to France, the chances of me successfully registering it are slim to none. Basically because I've modified it (but more on that at another time) so I've had to find another bike - another VFR, infact, but this is a 98.

Mssrs Honda seems to have stuck to the old adage of 'if it's not broke then change every single part of it until it behaves almost the same!' I don't know if the FV and FiW share anything but it doesn't look like it so I'm going to have to learn this bike all over again. If there is/are anything that any of you would like to tell me about the RC46 variant - any pearls of wisdom, do's or don'ts, must have's or just nice stories, I'd love to hear them. I've already downloaded the microfiche/owners manual/service manual on here so massive, massive thanks to those who took time to post them up. Equally; if anyone is touring SW France/Pyrenees then shoot me a PM and perhaps we can get a meet.

 

Merci a tous. I'd love to know what the collective mind could bring over the last 24yrs. Pics to follow soon...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer

Plenty of info on this forum in the 5th gen section. 

 

The big thing is probably the charging system. Address that if it hasn't been done yet. 

 

Next up would be comfort, for me. Seat, bars, suspension, luggage. 

 

Post pics of them!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, bmart said:

Plenty of info on this forum in the 5th gen section. 

 

I'm sure that there is and had a quick scoot. I just hoped that the 54 pages of questions could be summarised a little 🙂

 

Charging Rec/Reg I'm sure is the same as the 750 so I'm already on that. Flapper/Pair/snorkel sounds like a good move too. Wondering if the s/s zorst of later models will bolt directly to the earlier ones? That would be handy to know...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Ghostrider said:

I just hoped that the 54 pages of questions could be summarised a little

Wouldn't it be great if forums worked that way. lol

 

I'm trying to find the resistance spec of the cooling fan on my little CB-1 on Al Gore's Internet....nothing. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Ghostrider said:

 

I'm sure that there is and had a quick scoot. I just hoped that the 54 pages of questions could be summarised a little 🙂

 

Charging Rec/Reg I'm sure is the same as the 750 so I'm already on that. Flapper/Pair/snorkel sounds like a good move too. Wondering if the s/s zorst of later models will bolt directly to the earlier ones? That would be handy to know...

Welcome back.

 

It will bolt direct but, as I'm sure several members on here will tell you, the pipe diameter is smaller and therefore power..........😴   :goofy:

 

You might want to check out this thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer

5th Gen is:

 

Stock 17/43 or .3953

 

I run 17/45 or .3777

 

You suggest 16/44 or .3636

 

The differences aren't huge from yours to mine. I know that mine will wheelie on command and never runs out of steam...so close enough! And,"I like big sprockets (on the back) and I don't know why...."

 

Have fun with this! Change bikes, sprockets, tires, etc. 

https://www.gearingcommander.com/

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly I would have to disagree with the 5th gen being overgeared. Makes for a lovely relaxed cruise at highway speeds.

 

From the limited reading material there *is* a difference in R/R from the 98-99 and the 00-01 5th gen. It is less likely to melt your connectors. However it wouldnt be a simple swapover because the connectors are different. Better off solving the issue as described in one of the many posts.

 

Enjoy your 5th gen. I know I do.

Although i did get the sad news today that my front forks have a kink in them. So didnt end up servicing the forks, desperately looking for new ones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
4 hours ago, ariesblade said:

Honestly I would have to disagree with the 5th gen being overgeared. Makes for a lovely relaxed cruise at highway speeds.

 

From the limited reading material there *is* a difference in R/R from the 98-99 and the 00-01 5th gen. It is less likely to melt your connectors. However it wouldnt be a simple swapover because the connectors are different. Better off solving the issue as described in one of the many posts.

 

Enjoy your 5th gen. I know I do.

Although i did get the sad news today that my front forks have a kink in them. So didnt end up servicing the forks, desperately looking for new ones

Boonstra Parts shows a complete used fork in stock. Looks a bit ratty but nothing that paint wouldn't fix. Can you not get your fork leg straightened? Usually as long as there is no sharp kink just a bend, they can be fixed easily. 

 

https://www.boonstraparts.com/en/part/honda-vfr-800-fi-1998-2001-vfr800fi-rc46-front-fork-1998/000001023433

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer

Welcome back. Seem to be mixed views about flapper and snorkel. I see quite a lot of comments from folk saying it made no difference and they put it back. But fun to play with I guess if you’re looking for that.

 

Having solid electrics seems to be the number one thing.  Many also suggest that suspension is specced for light riders and any fifth gen will by now need attention to get it at it’s best. That’s hopefully my winter project.

 

I managed to grab a year in Tarn and Garonne recently, but the pandemic and other stuff scuppered plans for a permanent move. Hopefully will resurrect that although it’s now a bit harder of course.

 

Enjoy your new home and the FV.  If you’ve not been, I recommend a trip to the Pau Grand Prix (or the classic). I understand it was back after a pandemic gap this year and looked a bit touch and go. Hopefully it will run in 2023 (80th). Too many wheels of course, but still great to see how street racing looked once upon a time. And in a nice city too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Terry said:

Boonstra Parts shows a complete used fork in stock. Looks a bit ratty but nothing that paint wouldn't fix. Can you not get your fork leg straightened? Usually as long as there is no sharp kink just a bend, they can be fixed easily. 

 

https://www.boonstraparts.com/en/part/honda-vfr-800-fi-1998-2001-vfr800fi-rc46-front-fork-1998/000001023433

 

Definitely not gonna touch that set with a 10 foot pole. Obvious signs of fire damage along with the small bits of rust, Nope for me.

 

Unfortunately it isnt just bent but its kinked, so no way of fully straightening it. Sad thing is I was in for a front suspension service and upgrade...

Working on getting new inner tubes but cant find anything in stock, even the honda dealer cant order them anymore....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
18 hours ago, ariesblade said:

 

Although i did get the sad news today that my front forks have a kink in them. So didnt end up servicing the forks, desperately looking for new ones


This is the company I’ve used https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/motorcycle-suspension-tuning/motorcycle-forks-straightening/motorcycle-fork-straightening-both-legs

 

If one fork is bent you can be fairly sure that the other one is to some extent 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies. I'll look into the R/R first, as that seems to be the first point of concern (again - thankyou Honda).

Generally when I get a new bike the first thing I do is clean it. Gets me up close and personal with all the little defects that I missed first time. I know that there is a leak of one of the fork seals so I'll go around it with a seal-mate first. There is a notch in the headbearings (anyone know if the FiW shares headbearings with the FV as I have a set in the garage?).

 

Thanks for the tip about Pau StuartB3502. Now that the reno is done I'll have more time to get out and play. But maybe the NC30 for that... ;o)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.