Welcome to VFRDiscussion

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

XRM

Should dealers provide a bike setup service...?

I've noticed many top bicycle shops provide a scientific fitment service for their customers..

 

Motorcycle dealers should provide this service too...!

 

They should be able to make adjustments to our bikes to fit us better?  My wife and I both ride VFRs and it would have been great to trained experienced professionals to fit our bikes to us, such as; seat height, pegs, bar reach and suspension sag at the very least....

 

 

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great idea, dealers doing this will attract more customers. Bring it on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, XRM said:

My wife and I both ride VFRs and it would have been great to trained experienced professionals to fit our bikes to us, such as; seat height, pegs, bar reach and suspension sag at the very least....

 

lol, it must be different where you are. Most of the people that I have met at dealerships I wouldn't trust with an oil change much less anything more involved.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At a time when all the big manufacturers are trying to cut cost, saving us money, why do should you expect the sales room to have a resident suspension/ergonomic expert a available free of charge

 

The insurance liabilities would be astronomic and the service costs would escalate as the mechanics also had to become trained up

 

I thought part if the enjoyment of owning your own motorcycle is choosing what's done to it

 

Comparing bicycles to modern motorcycles is ridiculous 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all covered in the owners manual.  Whilst I see what you are saying it wouldn't be cost effective. 

If you purchase bar risers etc when you buy bike  or if it's in for a service then fair enough. Most of the bike owners are happy to fit their own mods. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem words in your post were, "trained professionals".

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bent said:

The problem words in your post were, "trained professionals".

:fing02: This would be great but you'd need a Jamie Daugherty in every dealer. It'll never happen.  

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

:fing02: This would be great but you'd need a Jamie Daugherty in every dealer. It'll never happen.  

Who?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://daughertymotorsports.com

 

Probably the most used suspension guru on VFRD. Fantastic work at great prices. Can't recommend him enough.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2017 at 9:07 AM, marriedman said:

 

lol, it must be different where you are. Most of the people that I have met at dealerships I wouldn't trust with an oil change much less anything more involved.

I wouldnt trust a dealer to tighten a licence plate bolt.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definately some bad shops out there but to be fair there are some dealers with excellent mechanics that actually check over new bikes and do adjust suspension/controls  for customers.    The dealer where I bought my Suzuki was great, the high volume Honda shop not so much.    I would rather fiddle with things myself, generally unless it's something I absolutely can't handle or a warranty/recall issue my bikes never go back to the dealer for work.   Just a personal preference 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, fink said:

So he is a bit like these guys then. http://www.mctsuspension.co.uk/Home.html

The thing about Jamie Daugherty (JDr) is he does VFRs especially, turning these not especially good oem suspensions into fabulous ones tuned just for the discerning buyer. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2017 at 10:42 PM, XRM said:

I've noticed many top bicycle shops provide a scientific fitment service for their customers..

 

Motorcycle dealers should provide this service too...!

 

They should be able to make adjustments to our bikes to fit us better?  My wife and I both ride VFRs and it would have been great to trained experienced professionals to fit our bikes to us, such as; seat height, pegs, bar reach and suspension sag at the very least....

 

 

 

It only makes sense they should provide this service. Riders would be safer, and likely happier with their bikes. From my experience, if you find a motorcycle dealer that really provides "service" and not just maintenance for your bike, you've stumbled onto a real rarity in the business.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, LucaBrasi said:

It only makes sense they should provide this service. Riders would be safer, and likely happier with their bikes. 

 

I think this is the problem. Most dealerships don't really care about the rider safety nor satisfaction with the bikes. The salespeople are generally clueless about the models of bikes and many times even their inventory. I have personally heard them recommend a 600 bike over a 750 because it was more "beginner friendly" merely based on displacement.. It was a CBR vs a Nighthawk for crying out loud! Another time I went to a dealer to see if they had the new 8th gen. Salesmen said they did not. While looking around wasting time, I found 2 of them. So I went back to the guy and asked him to tell me about the bikes. "Oh, those are Interceptors." Ugh.

 

In my experience, they only care about the sale today, not the possible repeat sale tomorrow. If someone finds a dealer that knows their stuff and also has good service, man... that's a treasure and a rare commodity.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time I was at the dealer trying to discretely take fork length measurements of an SV to compare against my track bike I overheard an interesting conversation between a potential customer and the sales guy.

 

Customer:  How many miles would I expect to get out of this bike (Yamaha Hayabusa 600RR or something similar)?

Sales guy:  Don't worry about that, most of these bikes are totaled within a couple years.  Just make sure you carry full coverage so you can get it replaced.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crakerjac said:

Customer:  How many miles would I expect to get out of this bike (Yamaha Hayabusa 600RR or something similar)?

Sales guy:  Don't worry about that, most of these bikes are totaled within a couple years.  Just make sure you carry full coverage so you can get it replaced.

:excl: I wonder if that sale was made. If he was taking that angle seriously should have also suggested life insurance! :squid:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only ever had one dealer service done with all four purchased new VFR's I've owned, they tightened the chain to concert pitch! And overfilled the oil, so glad they at least managed to tighten the oil filter.

 

Pre delivery on my 8gen was also crap, battery lead loose, warm idle nearly 2000 rpm and missing under seat straps.

 

If I can't do it myself I'll go to a well known specialist to have it done.

As for having them setting your bike up, you'd have to be lucky that you strike a good mechanic with time to spare!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now