Cooling system improvement ?

Mohawk

• Member Contributer

Any reason why you went off centre with mounting it in the hose? I will be purchasing one for my 6th gen. WRT the oil cooler on the 6th gen, I have made an air duct to direct more air into it which has also helped with temp drops. I will take a photo and post it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
On 9/16/2016 at 11:56 PM, Marooncobra said:

Any reason why you went off centre with mounting it in the hose? I will be purchasing one for my 6th gen. WRT the oil cooler on the 6th gen, I have made an air duct to direct more air into it which has also helped with temp drops. I will take a photo and post it.

More airflow to the cooler.  Installing it in the center would have blocked it more with the stock horn.

On 9/17/2016 at 9:15 AM, KevCarver said:

Any concern that you are heating the air in front of the intake?

Seems to be ok at this point.  I will be putting alot of miles on the bike this weekend.  Temps today are in the low 80s in Indy, but the humidity is about 70%. 

Hopefully this week I will have a chance to get the other cooler installed in the 6th gen.  That bike seems to get hotter than my 5th gens.

• Member Contributer
On 9/24/2016 at 3:20 PM, deltaboxii said:

More airflow to the cooler.  Installing it in the center would have blocked it more with the stock horn.

Seems to be ok at this point.  I will be putting alot of miles on the bike this weekend.  Temps today are in the low 80s in Indy, but the humidity is about 70%. 

Hopefully this week I will have a chance to get the other cooler installed in the 6th gen.  That bike seems to get hotter than my 5th gens.

I put about 100 miles on the bike this weekend around town.  Temps in the mid 80s with about 60% humidity.  Coolant temps barely broke 200 degrees and that was when I was stopped at lights.  No noticeable change in anything else performance wise.

Still, The number one trick to cooling down your VFR is to allow yourself some space from vehicles in front of you.  About a 2 second rule and you get more airflow and lower coolant temps.  Which is probably safer anyways vs. following too closely!

17 hours ago, deltaboxii said:

I put about 100 miles on the bike this weekend around town.  Temps in the mid 80s with about 60% humidity.  Coolant temps barely broke 200 degrees and that was when I was stopped at lights.  No noticeable change in anything else performance wise.

Still, The number one trick to cooling down your VFR is to allow yourself some space from vehicles in front of you.  About a 2 second rule and you get more airflow and lower coolant temps.  Which is probably safer anyways vs. following too closely!

Two birds, one stone.

• Member Contributer

Has anyone considered running a larger oil cooler?  Back in the day, I use to build and race VW Bugs.  The secret to cooling those was to add deep sump oil pans, external oil coolers etc.  The oil cooler on the VFR has a little bit of room to fit a larger one in that area.  I bet if you look around the web for a slightly larger one, it could be found.  Just a thought.

I've always been schooled that cooler oil is always best.

But with wet clutches and sequential transmissions, I don't know where the 10w40 stands.

I want to install the popular rc51 cooler as soon as I can have the time to install one.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, alwaysaware said:

Has anyone considered running a larger oil cooler?  Back in the day, I use to build and race VW Bugs.  The secret to cooling those was to add deep sump oil pans, external oil coolers etc.  The oil cooler on the VFR has a little bit of room to fit a larger one in that area.  I bet if you look around the web for a slightly larger one, it could be found.  Just a thought.

Good question.  When I jumped in on the thread, I mentioned that I wanted to do an RC51 style (larger) oil cooler.  There does not seem to be a way to mount it on the 6th gen, at least in the stock location.  The larger cooler would most likely come into contact with the front fender, which would cause some damage or worse.   If anyone figures out how to mount a larger oil cooler on 6th gen, I would love to see it.

A RC51 oil cooler is almost a direct bolt on (with few mods) on a 5th gen.  there are plenty of posts on this forum on how to do it.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I saw some threads on that too, but was for 5th Gens. I got one for the Skunk Works 6G project (Silver Bullet) without really researching and I didn't see how to do it once I had it in hand.

I have one on my 5th.

I  think you'd be better off buying one with generic fittings. Get new braided lines made up - Vfr engine fitting grafted on to new braided lines with generic fitting on the other end.

• Member Contributer

Jes VFR I believe is a member on this site.  He posted a fan swap out  article that he did to his 6th Gen VFR on Sport-touring.net  

link  

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php?topic=24684.0;all

He says the cooling actually works better than factory.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

The oil cooler does't necessarily need to be bigger, but of course that also helps, lowering it an inch or two into the air stream works wonders too.

I would love to do that, but I am afraid that it will come in contact with the front fender under heavy braking.

I had to lower my oil cooler about an or so for cbr929 triple tree clearance. Still has fender clearance under heavy braking. But my set up is probably different than most other's.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The best mod is the manual fan switch. My bike hasn't gone over 200 all summer. I turn it on at every stop. It also works in normal mode. Best $5 mod e er. Thanks to candy red.

12 hours ago, deltaboxii said:

I would love to do that, but I am afraid that it will come in contact with the front fender under heavy braking.

My front mount rad doesn't clip the front fender under braking, and I have shorter gsxr forks. 

Pas long as it above the little curve in the cylinder head you should be ok. 

My front mount Rad is up high, and my rc51 oil cooler is low, behind the headers. 

Archived