I Need To Soften My 5Th Gen Rear Suspension

The road heaves (bumps) are hurting my lower back more and more as I get older. Can someone guide me to a simple means of softening my rear suspension to lessen the hits to my vertebrae.

Thanks!

One option is to send it to Daugherty Motorsports (in Fort Wayne) who will re-spring it for your weight and replace the valving. Faster valving will allow it to compress like it is supposed to. This both adds comfort and improves performance. Such costs includes removal + about $300.

Reference:

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/vfr800.html

Note that once the shock is tuned the sloppiness (if stock) of the fork will probably become more obvious to you in comparison with the rear of the bike. But there is no harm in upgrading one or the other.

Since you asked this I now wonder if the oil could be changed to a lighter oil. I know forks can be tuned this way, but how about the shock guys? I suspect it would not make a huge difference with the design issues, but I am curious if anyone has experimented with oils of different weights in the stock shock.

• Member Contributer

There won't be much experimenting with oil in the stock shock since it will need to be recharged with nitrogen. I'm guessing most of us lack the equipment to casually switch shock oil, but maybe some. We do it up front as a means to alter the response of the stock valving without much effort. Most likely if the shock is opened up, valving will be adjusted at the same time. JD is a busy guy, but maybe he will have some comments. It's easier to experiment with the proper equipment and a shock dyno.

OP - have you set up preload yet?

• Member Contributer

1. Reduce your preload settings.

2. Reduce your damping settings.

3. If you still have the stock shock/spring it's time to upgrade that stuff. Yeah good suspension is not cheap, but as you are finding there's a reason why it costs money: it's worth it!

I would rather have a bike that is a little loose than one that beats the hell out of me.

• Member Contributer

Maybe do a search on Airhawk seat cushion and see if any owners have reported it helping with that issue.

• Member Contributer

Okay, how do I adjust preload and damping?

Well, you could break a man rule and read the manual...in all honesty, it's in the manual and does require a shock spanner, which should be part of your tool kit. If you go to the download secrion, I believe there's a link to the Race Tech Suspension Bible, download that and read up as its really good info to know and may help you decide that the stock suspension, regardless of preload and rebound setting just isn't going to cut it.

• Member Contributer

Okay, how do I adjust preload and damping?

The rebound damping is controlled by a screw at the base of the shock, unscrewing it (counter clockwise) reduces the rebound damping force. Start by screwing in and counting turns until the screw bottoms out gently so you know where it was set originally. Then wind it out and give it a try.

The spring preload is adjusted by the ramped collar on top of the spring. Hit it with WD40 or similar before you try and shift it, it will be pretty stiff. Tools should be in your toolkit for this. Be prepared for a skinned knuckle or two.

• Member Contributer

It might be that your shock is actually bottoming out.

If it's the original one, it will propably be stuffed.

You really need to check sag to see where its at.

Ok, gentlemen, I broke down and read my manual. The spring preload was already set to max. soft (1). No adjustment required. The damping was set up as firm. I followed the instructions in the manual and set it to a softer position. I do understand the relationship between spring and damping forces. Force exerted by the spring is proportional to displacement. Force exerted by the damper is proportional to velocity. Now, I need to ride the bike and see if it is better. Thanks for your comments.

• Member Contributer

Ok, gentlemen, I broke down and read my manual. The spring preload was already set to max. soft (1). No adjustment required. The damping was set up as firm. I followed the instructions in the manual and set it to a softer position. I do understand the relationship between spring and damping forces. Force exerted by the spring is proportional to displacement. Force exerted by the damper is proportional to velocity. Now, I need to ride the bike and see if it is better. Thanks for your comments.

Check your rider sag if the pre-load is already set to the lowest setting... unless you weigh like 150 lbs you are probably sitting low in the stroke. Pre-load alters where in the shock stroke the bike sits when loaded with rider & gear, it does not make the spring stiffer or softer.

Archived