Working On Becoming A Traitor To The 4Th Gen

V-FORE

• Member Contributer

Hey Gary, how's the commuter running? You must have been riding it by now. Is it fixed? Properly fixed??

C

Haven't gotten it back yet.....

Cheap. Fix it up. Flog it for as long as she'll go.

As soon as she's gets her new clothes the flogging will begin!!

• Member Contributer

My Holidays have started early, picked up the commuter on Saturday cam chain tensioner spring broke, tore up gear/chain oil pump.... all replaced under warranty!! One more week of work & I fly down to Palm Springs for Christmas with the Family, then last night I get an email "

Hello,
Fairing kit is painted as your requested. Please find attached picture(s). Tracking number will be provided within couple days, once again, thanks for buying from us and we appreciate your patience.
Should you have any question, please feel free to ask.
please reply this message after you receive this email
regards
auctmarts"
along with these two pictures

46E6957D@6A6C1E1E.D0A16F56

46E6967D@6A6C1E1E.D0A16F56

Looking forward to getting her all together this next year! :cheerleader::wheel::cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Holy crap, if you Mike and I go for a ride together, we'll look like team america with the red white and blue 5th gens.

Yes, as long as Mike stays ahead of me and you follow :goofy:

• 3 weeks later...

V-FORE I am very curious to see how your fairing kit fits. The fit on my 5th gen kit was terrible. It took several hours of drilling and grinding to get everything to come together in a half way decent fashion. At the end of it, I have 2 major gaps that I am going to have to live with.

• Member Contributer

fonque,

I will let you know as soon as I get some time...just got them in yesterday. The paint sure looks good! I will be sure to take alot of pictures when I get a chance to get to it!

Gary

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I received my replacement rear fender ( rear stanchions on the the original were broken off :angry: ) So I set out to replace the rear fender, change plugs, oil/filter, air filter and get ready to put the cheap Chinese Fairings on. last weekend I changed out the Helibars for regular ones. I also received a 10x10 canopy so working in my storage unit has more room :cheerleader:

20160306 134040

20160306 134035

k
I do not know if its just my familiarity with the 4th that makes work on the 5th slower or am I just having fun drinking beer and playing with the new Mistress :wink: , but I at least changed out the rear fender and the rear plugs....

20160306 152254

20160306 152233

I am looking forward to getting her on the road :wheel:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Finally got her together http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/82308-terrys-chinese-fairing-adventure/page-5 I have ridden her to work the past two days and I must say I am quite taken with the 5th Gen! Of course I will have to do a side by side soon, I think yes the 4th may be more sporty, but the 5th seems to be a lot smoother, quicker to rev.... as I got on the freeway this morning 1/4 cloverleaf I realized that I was taken the corner at close to 50 without trying, I can't wait to put my new tires on so I will have more confidence :cool:. I have been through 1 tank of gas on this now, I had about 110 miles before I parked her. So I had the helibars on it the 1st half tank & now with the BLS peg lowering blocks, & standard bars She is extremely comfortable! Very natural to slide off in the corners, I think I am going to like Moving on up! just not too far up :wink:

• Member Contributer

Sweet! I don't recall seeing any mention of what the plans are for the tank. I recall Viffercrab's experience with his 6th gen and IIRC he finally abandoned the idea of a cover and had the tank painted to match. It came out really well. Keep the pics coming!

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Finally got her all back together, after putting about 110 miles on her....I have decided to retire the 4th gen for now(since I stole her Two Bros pipe, Radar Detector & camera wiring)IMG_3121.jpg

Got her all wired up & The Hello Kitty Devil on the windscreen!

IMG_3128.jpgI will be taking her on a 1,150 mile shakedown cruise for Memorial Day Weekend, I can't wail! Here is a video, she looks good! Fairings fit pretty good, a few gaps, but I can't see them while riding!

IMG_3126.m4v

• Member Contributer

Looks good, I'm due for new fairings on my '99 after 110K, will have a read through your thread. White looks nice, congrats, great deal.

Have you got any more pics/info on the cameras you are using? Also how about some full body pics, especially now that she is up and rollin :D

• Member Contributer

I will get some body shots this week, Camera on the bike for video is an old Canon A460. The camera used to take the pictures is the apple iPhone SE, I finally got an iPhone, I have been mac based for the past 26 years at work....

• Member Contributer

Here are a couple of Pict's taken last night. There are some gaps in the seams, but nothing that bothers me! I can't see it while I'm riding...  But She looks and sounds Good.  Looking forward to my Shakedown Cruise this weekend 1st day to sort out the Hiway riding and to make distance, the the return to have Fun!

https://goo.gl/maps/EnSKz31DCvy

https://goo.gl/maps/28gXz1NX4vG2

IMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

It has been awhile since I have posted anything, I have been enjoying the getting acquainted with the 5th Gen here is how she is looking now. My version of a 50 Anniversary in white instead of gray :cool:. I now have a little over 10k with her and am very happy with this change..... Did a 400 mile loop yesterday up hwy 2 to Leavenworth, north to Hwy 20 then back home! Great weather, a little smokey from the fires up north but nice and warm. Here is a link to my new P.S.A. on how to use passing lanes :tongue: Keep Right except to Pass!

07-30-17 w: new tail & Micron.JPG

• Member Contributer

Nice, but Kitty repeat after me....  

"red NACA's are and willl always be the best"...   

:goofy:

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Nice, but Kitty repeat after me....  

"red NACA's are and willl always be the best"...   

:goofy:

LOL! Agreed

Archived