Has Gear Saved Your Life?

Ryanme17

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not yet had the pleasure BUT im sure my time will come.

I feel from my advance training it has saved me a few times just being in a different position from where i would have been before.

• Member Contributer

Today my son (8) fell off his bicycle, smacked his head on the street.

Had he not worn his Bell/Tony Hawks helmet I would be sitting beside a hospital bed instead of typing this....

Scraped knee and hand though.... he is not fully ATGATT yet.... tongue.gif

• Member Contributer

No doubt that my helmet saved my life Nov, 4 2006. Joe Rocket Jacket and First Gear pants saved my skin. And Joe Rocket boots saved my feet from anything worse than a nice deep bruise. Not sure anything could have saved my collar bone... Too bad they don't make gear for bikes... I miss the Redneck Express.

Kevin

• Member Contributer

As a matter of fact, YES! Just last week. Even the insurance adjuster is amazed I'm walking. He said when he looked a the bike he wondered if "fatality". Sure, I'm sore, but hell yes gear!

Mostly it keeps the bugs wind sun and crap off me.

There's been a few times the gear kept the road rash off my body and head.

Never a big crash needing an ambulance though, knocking on wooden head. ATTGATT. :beer:

• Member Contributer

T-boned a minivan at around 20mph. Was wearing gear, but only needed my helmet as I took all speed to zero with my head/neck. At least that's what people tell me, I can't remember. Moderate concussion and bruised vertebrae in my neck. Without a helmet my life (if I still had it) would be drastically different.

met the pavement at about 65 mph -- highside -- nice long slide on blacktop with bike landing on me , resulting in broken collar bone ( 2 places ) separated shoulder, trashed shoulder blade, surgery on elbow, 8 months off work, still have numbness in my arm --- road rash zero ride without gear, no way

• Member Contributer

The gear may not have saved my life, but definitely saved some skin and probably kept me from getting a pretty fair concussion from two seperate low speed low-sides.

Two quick asides -

Jeremy, how in the hell did you manage that scrape? Sides of the helmet? Most definitely. Back of the helmet? Absolutely. The front side and faceshield? Sure, why not. But on top of the head? Damn, now thats impressive.

Second - I'll attest to the Scorpion helmets...I retired mine after my second lowside (actually bounced my head that time, small scrape area). Before I threw it in the trash I figured it would be best to destroy the thing so some shady mofo couldn't pick it up and sell it to some kid or something. Pounded on it for a few minutes with a three pound hammer. All it really did was bust up the paint job. I was very impressed. Had to use an axe to finish the thing off.

• Member Contributer

My oldest son (who's 24 now) got me into motorcycles back in May of 2003. He wanted to get a bike. I told him I'll pay for his MSF 2 day course and I'll take it also since I thought I might like to try motorcyles.

We both bought our first bikes. He bought a new Ninja 636 and I bought my current 2003 VFR. A couple months later (in September) he was rear ended on the interstate (I-35) here in the Dallas area. He was under the car for 20 minutes before they heard some moaning. The Fireman went around to the front of the car and found him and the bike pinned underneath the car. The girl said see never saw him. I had bought him all the right gear and preached ATGATT. That night he made one bad decision and one good one. He was wearing shorts, t shirt and tennis shoes (Bad decisions). He was wearing his full face helmet (the good decision). If he had not had the helmet on I'm sure he would not be here today.

I still remember getting the call at work on that Sunday night (I work 3rd shift). My middle son who was 17 at the time called and said come home, we have to go down to Baylor Trama Center in Dallas. Daniel has been in a motorcycle accident and he had to be CareFlite'd. That was a gut wrenching call.

He spent 35 days in hospital and had some sever cuts, burn on chest/side/back (from hot coolant leaking from car) broken femur, broken wrist. He has some mean looking scares.

But thank GOD he wore his full face helmet!!!!!!!!!

I still have that helmet.

ki-speed (mark)

Yep. Walked away from a 75 mph expressway luging experiment with nothing more than a slightly sore shoulder. That's my only gear testing experience on the street. Just yesterday I face planted trail riding at about 20 mph and walked away.

They do make some gear for bikes. . . frame sliders. I know they saved my bike some serious damage but your results may vary.

I have not yet had the pleasure BUT im sure my time will come.

I feel from my advance training it has saved me a few times just being in a different position from where i would have been before.

Can you believe this ............

I flipped my bike twice into a field today

I was out on a spin with my mate and i was going around a bend Aprox 50mph The road was a 60mph but on the bend there was a bump in the road which mad me lose control i would have

been ok if i didn't give a hand full of break i hit a bank and me and the bike flipped twice before landing into a nice muddy field .

so yes my leathers kept me safe im just very sore

in 1995 I wrecked my Ducati 906 Paso in the mountains outside of Atlanta, Ga. Riding above my head, too much throttle and speed.

Road went left I went sorta left, ran of the side of the road and rolled with the bike. It kinda hurt.

Had a concussion, separated sholder and gravel rash. I had on a pair of jeans, leather riding jacket, waist length, and my Shoei Helmet.

The jacket road up and I had serious rash on my side. I did have some serious bruising all over my body. I didn't go to the hospital immediatley. I set my shoulder and hoped on anothers rider's bike went to a restraunt! I was feeling very woozie there and was taken home, on back of a bike.

later that night I had a coworker go with me with my truck and pick up the remains of my bike. Went to the hospital the next morning and they thought I had a broken neck.

Got the lecture about motorcycles and going to the hospital.

It all turned out well.

The worst thing was I had just cancelled the full coverage insurance on my bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mourned it for weeks. I did later sell it to an individual.

I took a pretty hard spill that day. The impact was severe enough that it ripped the top of the shock off the bike and broke off the steering stops!!

I still have memories of laying in the bath tub soaking the massive wound on my side. The Dr debraided it. Let just say you don't want to have it done to you without some pain killers.

They cleaned it like they would a burn victim. ouch.

I didn't ride for about 2 month and one day saw a nice Kaw GPZ750 for sell and bought it. It was the original Eddie Lawson replica bike. The rest is history.

I have some nice bruises coming up now , my right knee is swollen and have some pain in chest and back when i breath in apart from that

all is good

I've had a few crashes, and escaped with no more than minor injury each time. I've only ever hit my head on the road once, and that was at a near standstill, after I locked up the front end on the VTR1000, bedding in brand-new pads. I dropped it just as I was coming to a stop, and fell over onto my right shoulder, and my helmet just barely hit the road. There was hardly any mark on it, as it hit just where the visor opening is, but I had a headache and was feeling off-colour for three days, so I'm pretty sure I had mild concussion. Helmets are mandatory here, so there was no question of not wearing it. However, if I hadn't been, I would have had a nasty head injury. Having spent a lot of time visiting a colleague in a head injury unit in hospital, I know how easily your life can be ruined by a seemingly insignificant blow to the head. My cousin died when disembarking from his yacht - he tripped on the wharf, hit his head, and that was it.

The other crash I had where gear saved me from serious injury was when I wrecked my 1990 VFR750. Some clown u-turned into me, and my leg was squashed between the car and bike. No major damage, although I suspect my heel was cracked (wasn't x-rayed), and my leg probably had compartment syndrome and took months to come right. Even now I suspect there's some residual circulatory problems, as when I flew to Yurp in August I had problems with swollen ankles and feet, especially in that leg. Oh - when I crashed the VFR, I was wearing leather pants with Knox kneepads (added a few months beforehand), StylMartin boots, Teknic jacket with elbow/forearm, shoulder and back protection, padded gloves, etc. Saved me from a huge box of hurt (I received a moderate box instead).

The crazy thing is I've had worse crashes wearing less gear! T-boned a car at around 40mph when I was 17, wearing a leather jacket, jeans, open-faced helmet (which didn't touch the road until I was lying on it), no gloves, and flip-flops on my feet. :goofy: I escaped with cuts'n'bruises, 9 stitches in my right knee, and verbal abuse from the hospital staff (it was Christmas Day, and they weren't happy about having to patch me up...)

• Member Contributer
Jeremy, how in the hell did you manage that scrape? Sides of the helmet? Most definitely. Back of the helmet? Absolutely. The front side and faceshield? Sure, why not. But on top of the head? Damn, now thats impressive.

Second - I'll attest to the Scorpion helmets...I retired mine after my second lowside (actually bounced my head that time, small scrape area). Before I threw it in the trash I figured it would be best to destroy the thing so some shady mofo couldn't pick it up and sell it to some kid or something. Pounded on it for a few minutes with a three pound hammer. All it really did was bust up the paint job. I was very impressed. Had to use an axe to finish the thing off.

That was from a pretty high speed crash; somehow my body ended up flipping over my head with my head on the ground, so there are scrapes and rash on both sides and the top of the helmet. I think I am on my 5th scorpion helmet, each of them have saved my life, a brain injury, or at least roadrash on my head or face.

:goofy: Worthless w/o pics:0

Of couse I don't have any either.... :huh:

Yes and yes......crashed at 40mph back in 1997. AGV saved my life.......the lack of gear caused me severe road rash on my forearms. I sustained a shoulder injury that I am reminded of anytime I lift weights, and a hip injury. Live and learn........now AGATT.

To be old and wise........well you know!

• Member Contributer

Gear has saved my skin in a low side on the motorcycle. A helmet saved my life on a mountain bike in a vicious dowmhill wreck that put a 1 inch deep puncture mark in the helmet right where my temple is. I still broke my cheekbone in six places though.

• Member Contributer

Sure. YZF 750R, 45 MPH or so, into an easy left turn, life is good and everything is going swell, not pushing at all, just cruising. I hear a loud thump and the next thing I remember I'm attempting to stand and buddies are asking me if I'm OK. I try to stand and fall back down where they tell me to stay sitting. I then start swearing and asking about my bike...really worried about the condition of my bike. Long story short...I went face first into a steel guardrail at 45 or so wearing an AGV X-Vent (still in memarkably good shape only one small scratch 6"ong or so) that's now in my trophy case. I still have no memory of the actual crash due to concussion but gear really did it's job...right arm severely bruised but other than that not a scratch, After a few mins. got up checked the bike, tried to figure out what happened, rode to the hotel, duct taped the bikes fairing back together, jury rigged the shifter lever so it would work, bought a new helmet...continued on with vacation in North Carolina.

Lucky yes, good gear did it's job, yes! Without it...very hurt, cosmetic surgery required or worse.

Archived