New member, thinking of a VFR

timc490310

New member, and have been looking at the VFR800's for awhile. I have a NT700v with low miles and a ST1300. Like them both but throwing around selling the NT and looking for a VFR. Got to have 2 in the garage, just in case one breaks down. lol. I like the 6th gen, but open to others. I would have to put risers on, watched a few videos and looks easy enough. Any suggestions on years , what to look for etc. Would be nice to trade, but posting the NT on marketplace. Thanks

Check the charging system. Known failure point up until the 8th gen. Lots of posts here about the stator and/or regulator failing from poor connections and grounds.

Easy fix if you're good at electrical.. plenty of good reads and articles about testing and the fix

Otherwise, great bike

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I bought a NT700 2 years ago to keep my 07 vfr and a Suzuki Bking company.    I think you will enjoy the smooth refined feeling of the vfr.    It feels much smaller and lighter than the NT, nicer suspension, and so freakishly smooth.   I’m on the heavy side and find the vfr to be great for riding canyons and long stretches of open highway.     

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

2006’s and up are less problematic. 2014’s (8th)are even better than the 6th generation. I’m led to believe. It’s basically the same motor. 
For the 6th generation VFR all you have to do is replace the rectifier with a 847A Shindengen rectifier from roadstercycle.com and your good to go.

Welcome to VFRD!  The forum is a terrific resource for anything you'll ever need to know about VFRs, including many maintenance and modification how-to threads with photos.

• 5th gen was the last VFR with gear-driven cams, which make a wonderful sound.  But its looks are pretty dated at this point.  Nice lower miles 5th gens are getting harder to find now.
  • 6th gen has slightly better suspension but chain-driven cams and experience a couple electrical issues.  It's a bit more refined bike than the 5th gen, but not everyone loves VTEC, which was sorted better on the 2006 and up bikes.  The 2007 had the RWB anniversary paint design, which just looks amazing.
  • 7th gen is the 1200cc and has gobs of power and (I'm told) makes for a good hyper-tourer.
  • 8th gen is a great looking bike with the same engine was the 6th gen.  You can still find leftover new bikes at some dealers.

There are pros and cons to each bike.  I've owned my 6th gen for 14 years and still love it.  But the older a bike you get, just beware that parts and mods will start to get harder to find.

I'm not too far from you, as I live east of Akron, OH.  Let me know if you want to test ride a 6th gen and we'll meet up somewhere.

• Member Contributer

I think the 4th Gen should be added; yes it is older still, but is a GREAT bike.  Has carbs, which in the six years I have owned my '97 I have had zero problems with.  Has the center gear driven cams instead of the end gear driven cams of the 5th Gen.  And of course body panels are old and not a lot of replacements out there.  I had Jamie (DMR) do the forks and rear shock which made a huge difference in handling.  Risers not really a good idea though as the bar ends will hit the windscreen before turning stops are reached.

I have had no problems with electricals, still has the original stator and R/R.  In process of changing to LED turn signals with front clear lens and switchback LEDs, amber LEDs in rear, also have strobe LED brake/tail bulbs.  So much brighter and updates the look.

Strong engine of course, will outlast me.  Combination of power and lighter weight, makes twistys so much fun.

Guess I am a bit biased on the 4th Gen.........

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

And let's be honest, there can be only ONE the bestest of them all.....

IMG_0404.thumb.jpg.aaddc4604e8141164de30e03044db2f5.jpg

• Member Contributer

I am bias toward fifth gens (1998 - 2001) especially the 2000's and 2001's. First fuel-injected VFR, last with gear-driven cams. Compared to 6th gens, fifth gens weight than 6th gens, are a little quicker on acceleration, more aerodynamic body design, and have a lower center of gravity (due to 6th's ill-placed mufflers). Fifth's also have very linear accelleration from 4,000 - 11,500 rpm. I could go on but there are many reviews online for your researching pleasure. 

Good luck with your search. Each gen has it's advantages and true believers. In some sense, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Hey thanks for the offer to ride yours. We ride that way sometimes on Sundays. 2 weeks ago we went through carrolton, been by cadiz salem and if you go through saline or salineville, can't remember go sloowww. cop has a habit of following of pulling out in front and go flying ahead and backing in a driveway trying to get you. he got my uncle, doing 32 in 25.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I found my VFR, a true barn find. 2002 with 7200 miles, plastics are great shape. Had to but a battery and front tire. The sound is awesome. I did go for a ride after new tire and battery to get fresh fuel and was thinking I may have pulled the trigger on the wrong bike. My wrists were hurting in a 15 minute ride. I took my crampbuster off my ST1300 and went riding the next day with friends. Crampbuster was the ticket. No problems at all. Thanks for all the input.

Archived