Newb with (not so) sad first post...thanks fellas!

vfreli

I've lurked here for awhile in my neverending pursuit of the "perfect motorcycle". I just picked up an 02 and loved everything about it. Always wanted one, but in my haste to get it out on a ride, didn't really check everything well enough. Long story short, I was riding SE OH twistys. Having a great ride and enjoying the new bike when the master link broke. Nothing too crazy looking. Didn't see oil and rode my buddy's bike to get the new master and cobbled it back together. Once I got it home I saw the drip. Got it apart today and saw the damage. I know there are going to be two camps here, but I'm mostly interested in repairing this. JB the big piece in the hole and leave it unbolted so it's not stressed, have a welder weld that tab back on the cover, and get all new bolts since the long ones were bent. What do you guys think?

IMG_20181001_141752.jpg

IMG_20181001_142043.jpg

IMG_20181001_141733.jpg

IMG_20181001_141743.jpg

IMG_20181001_141716.jpg

I have a new chain and sprocket and ended up getting a used cover with the spacer and bolts from eBay. I think I may want to get a clutch push rod as mine is a little bent. My main concern now is the chunk that broke off in the bottom pic. It fits right in like a puzzle piece. I think I could clean and rough everything up and JB weld it back in. I obviously wouldn't want to run a bolt into it to stress it. I was riding it with it in there loose without issue. I just don't know what the little bracket is that is bolted on that chunk?

part.png

It is a lateral chain guide.   It is meant to keep the chain from making contact with your engine case.   The boss is reamed and tapped to locate and lock down the chain guide (#2) and counter-shaft cover.

image.png.1635212671f7756bb82b20a32e455e8d.png

image.png.258705a6669422caaceef063d823d58e.png

Hey, Lee! Thanks for that pic. With all the gunk on there I didn't realize that was just another cover! I found one on eBay. I think I'll just need a couple gaskets and will be able to get this done right.

• Member Contributer

Lee

I think you will find it is item 5 from the fiche. This is a plate to stop the two bolts from unwinding from the selector cover and hitting the chain.

Hey, Lee! Thanks for that pic. With all the gunk on there I didn't realize that was just another cover! I found one on eBay. I think I'll just need a couple gaskets and will be able to get this done right.
Yeah, you should be able to swap that part out... Might cost a packet new... You will need a new gasket surely...

• Member Contributer

Masterlink?

I’d recommend always riveting a replacement chain. 

Buy a good tool for it once, it pays for itself. 

Glad you sorted out how to fix your broken cases/covers. 

Got it all apart and it's looking good. Think I dodged a bullet. I put the clip link on just to limp it home. Never had one come off, but I'd bet the previous owner had it on backward. I'll rivet the new one when it's all sorted. 

IMG_20181002_103546.jpg

IMG_20181002_103559.jpg

IMG_20181002_103632.jpg

• Member Contributer

Is that shift shaft bent?  Or is it just the camera angle?

Yeah, I’ve never had a masterlink come off either back when I was new to motorcycling and used them. But now I know better and have the tools so I always rivet. 

6 hours ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Is that shift shaft bent?  Or is it just the camera angle?

Yeah, I’ve never had a masterlink come off either back when I was new to motorcycling and used them. But now I know better and have the tools so I always rivet. 

Had to get a straight edge and have a look. Must have been the camera angle.

2 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Great "1st post" :tongue:

U dodged a bullet indeed!

Thanks, Dutchy. Was everything I expected for a first ride....and then some. Getting to know this bike really quick.

1 hour ago, FJ12Ryder said:

When you put that countershaft sprocket back on lube the hell out of that shaft with anti-seize. Your parts will thank you.

Will do FJ! Thanks.

• Member Contributer

That’s good it’s straight. I broke a case via similar issue (not masterlink, but loose chain+suspension) on my YZ250 20+ years ago. JB weld is still holding a piece of the crankcase together. 

While yer at it, check that big rear axle nut and make sure it is tight and "staked".

Don't ask why I suggest this. 😪

Archived