Metzeler M7RR's on the 1200

RC1237V

• Member Contributer

I must recant my previous statement about the M7RR's on the 1200. I don't think these tires are good for this bike. They felt good initially, but wore really fast - 2800 miles to be exact. The feel was the worst part, I never had the confidence from the "feedback" on these tires. They had plenty of grip, but I never knew what they were doing. I think they don't have a stiff enough carcass to be on the 1200, like the Pilot Powers - great tire but too soft for a 600lb bike. I had one awesome day on them, but that was it, whereas the PR4's are awesome from beginning to end - how do I know..........???????

I rode Mt Hamilton to Mines Rd on Saturday, and I knew my rear tire was getting close to......or at the wear bars, so I checked it in the morning before my ride. I figured I had at least two to four more rides depending on length, and ferocity. I set out around 9am and it was a bit chilly. At the base of Mt Hamilton, there was some low clouds, but I knew they would dissipate as the day wore on, so I forged ahead. I went up Qimby Rd which cuts into Mt Hamilton about a third of the way up, but takes off an hour of circumnavigating from where I live. Quimby is steep, and narrow with quite a few 180 degree turns with 30-40 ft elevation, so 1st gear or clutching 2nd gear turns. Then it crests and sweeps down hill for a mile or two, where it intersects Mt Hamilton Rd (CA 130). From there it opens up a bit, them becomes a roller-coaster of a road with every type of tight turn imaginable. After around 16 miles it reaches the peak around 4300 feet, where there is a nice observatory that has been there since the late 1800's (nice architecture, especially inside). Then you start an 18 mile downhill grind of switchbacks and S-turns, that go through smaller valleys and ranges, ending up on top speed straightaways, passing the famous Junction (restaurant-bar). After winding over and through a canyon in an insane twisty section, you cross over the Alameda County line and continue through the canyon for another 28 miles, of crazy canyon carving. The 10 miles before and after the Junction are the best, and it was here I was exiting the turns full throttle, wiggling the rear end like Joey GP racer. 

The entire road from Mt. Hamilton peak to the end of Mines Rd is chip-sealed. If you're not from Wally-fornia, I will explain. On low use (less than 2,500 vehicles per day) roads they don't re-pave, but instead pour down tar across the whole road and then dump 3-grit granite rocks (1/4" - 3/8") all over the road, press them in with a steam roller, and sweep up MOST of the excess. When worn in, they can have awesome grip. When new, they are strewn with loose gravel, and you are only riding on the "points" of the rocks. Anyway, it is more aggressive than airport tarmac (if you've ever done any airstrip auto crosses).

Now to my "Oh shit" moment......I was at the end of Mines Rd, having covered around 70 miles since I left home, and a bit chilled, I decided to warm up in the sun before heading back to the Junction for lunch. As I walked around the back of my bike, I thought I rode over some gum that someone spit out on the street. Then, as my tire came into focus, I realized it was steel cords showing through the little bit of rubber left on the rear tire - which was shredded from the 1237 cc's of V4 torque.

Tire3.jpg

I knew I couldn't get home the way I came on that tire, and taking the freeway would be a roll of the dice. So I googled up a few motorcycle shops, and found the local BMW dealer had a 190/55 PR4 in stock, at full retail of course, plus mounting and balancing, not to mention remove and replace rear rim. Lesson learned, never leave home on an epic ride with an iffy tire - if you must, keep it local or get a new tire first. Oh yeah, and the PR4 felt instantly better than the best the M7RR ever felt on this bike. Had a great ride home, re-tracing my morning ride, and getting a late lunch at the Junction, then heading back over Mt Hamilton in the late afternoon sun. My simple ride had turned into an "Adventure" worthy of posting on this forum, which made me smile inside my helmet for the rest of the ride!

I threw on Pilot Road GT4's on mine. Rolling at 9k miles with wear from new, but they still have about 5k or more left. I typically ride 2 up as well with plenty of weight, and the cornering feel is phenomenal. Not great cold though, they take time to warm up with how hard they are in the center of the tread.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Metzeler don't recommend the M7RR for the 1200 ! It's a top spec road supersport tyre, 3000 miles would be considered good mileage on a 600, so 2800 on a 1200 that weighs a lot more is not bad going. The feel thing will be due to the bikes weight & lack of speed, as in you are generally not going fast enough to be running a supersport tyre IMO.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, luvtoleanit said:

I'm all Bridgestone these days.  The T30's are outstanding!

How are they compared to the PR4's? Assuming you have ridden both on the 1200..............

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, RC1237V said:

How are they compared to the PR4's? Assuming you have ridden both on the 1200..............

I have about 600 miles on T30 EVOs on my 800 and I am loving them! I am sure the GT version holds up to the 1200 with ease.

4 hours ago, RC1237V said:

Jim, I was riding the GT's on our rides to the Nevada line and up to Mt. Hamilton, Santa Cruz Mtns. with Crazy Bro. 

Love em'. Nice even wear up front, 5K mi.+ now. Rear is just starting to square from the commute.

Re-ordered a replacement set during the rebate window for a late winter mount.

Archived