Silicone Coolant Hoses

seamus

• Member Contributer

Need to replace coolant hoses and was hoping to replace with silicone. Not having any luck finding any.

Anyone have a source they can link me to before I just replace with OEM?

• Member Contributer

Here's  a supplier of silicone hoses; I recall them being fairly pricey however.

http://www.samcosport.com/row/bike_kits.asp?make=Honda

You don't say which model VFR you have, but if it is a 5th gen or later and you are working around the thermostat, I would suggest you put a new thermostat in at the same time. Reason being they're not expensive, they do fail with age, and having pulled the throttle body and all those danged hoses and cables off to get in there, you won't want to repeat the exercise in a hurry.

• Member Contributer

There was a group buy on these once. If they are too pricey, maybe we can get another group buy going.

• Member Contributer
Here's  a supplier of silicone hoses; I recall them being fairly pricey however.

http://www.samcosport.com/row/bike_kits.asp?make=Honda

You don't say which model VFR you have, but if it is a 5th gen or later and you are working around the thermostat, I would suggest you put a new thermostat in at the same time. Reason being they're not expensive, they do fail with age, and having pulled the throttle body and all those danged hoses and cables off to get in there, you won't want to repeat the exercise in a hurry.

Well, I did post it in the 5th Gen area :)

We think alike. I have the thermostat and all the o-rings ordered already.

Unfortunately, I went for Samco first and none of my local go-to shops are showing them as available anymore. I have an email in to Samco directly, waiting on a response.

• Member Contributer
35 minutes ago, seamus said:

Well, I did post it in the 5th Gen area :)

So you did, my mistake. I hop around the forum a fair bit so tend to look at the In My Garage section under the poster's name for the bike ID.

• Member Contributer

You might be able to order them from RaceBikeBitz in the UK, but they're very pricey... 

What I did on my yellow 5th gen was buy non-custom individual hoses, as originally suggested by Chris (IDA71 on the Honda VFR Club forum) in this post.  I think there is one potential issue with the list of hoses, in that one of the ODs on the water pump is smaller than 25mm (I think it's the outlet/inlet you can see in the pic below).  I believe Chris' solution was to increase the OD with a short length of heavy duty heatshrink, but I didn't actually experience any leaks without it.  Anyway, I found that there are cheaper sources for silicone hoses than Samco, such as ASH in the UK.  Oddly, silicone hoses seemed to be cheaper in the UK than in the USA, last time I priced them a few years ago (but the difference would probably be eaten up by shipping and customs if you tried to import them yourself).

gallery_362_5959_79690.jpggallery_362_5959_184256.jpg

Ciao,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VFR-800-FI-1998-2001-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-SILICONE-RADIATOR-HOSES-BLUE-/162084874400?hash=item25bd02e8a0:g:mkUAAOSwepZXSLBF

These are not pricey at all with shipping for a complete set. I am plan on getting a set for my build, zx9r and zx12r.  He takes a best offer of some of them/ go 20.00 less.  Even after the exchange rate it is still a good deal.

• Member Contributer

So you did, my mistake. I hop around the forum a fair bit so tend to look at the In My Garage section under the poster's name for the bike ID.

No problem, I'm just joshing...

I probably should update that section of my profile too.

• Member Contributer
You might be able to order them from RaceBikeBitz in the UK, but they're very pricey... 

What I did on my yellow 5th gen was buy non-custom individual hoses, as originally suggested by Chris (IDA71 on the Honda VFR Club forum) in this post.  I think there is one potential issue with the list of hoses, in that one of the ODs on the water pump is smaller than 25mm (I think it's the outlet/inlet you can see in the pic below).  I believe Chris' solution was to increase the OD with a short length of heavy duty heatshrink, but I didn't actually experience any leaks without it.  Anyway, I found that there are cheaper sources for silicone hoses than Samco, such as ASH in the UK.  Oddly, silicone hoses seemed to be cheaper in the UK than in the USA, last time I priced them a few years ago (but the difference would probably be eaten up by shipping and customs if you tried to import them yourself).

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/gallery/album_5959/gallery_362_5959_79690.jpg" alt="gallery_362_5959_79690.jpg" />http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/gallery/album_5959/gallery_362_5959_184256.jpg" alt="gallery_362_5959_184256.jpg" />

Ciao,

Thanks for the link and additional info!

I'll definitely check out Ash too. Never heard of them before.

• Member Contributer
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VFR-800-FI-1998-2001-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-SILICONE-RADIATOR-HOSES-BLUE-/162084874400?hash=item25bd02e8a0:g:mkUAAOSwepZXSLBF

These are not pricey at all with shipping for a complete set. I am plan on getting a set for my build, zx9r and zx12r.  He takes a best offer of some of them/ go 20.00 less.  Even after the exchange rate it is still a good deal.

That's less than half of what they're listed for anywhere else. Even with shipping...

• Member Contributer

I fitted Samco Silicon hoses to my 6th gen. Be aware that you need to use smooth internal worm drive clamps that will not cut into the silicon when tightening. I had issues with finding these for the small hoses between the wax Unit etc. Also found that I had to check all connections after a few rides as I could smell coolant but no leaks.  Drove me nuts as I had to keep removing the fairings and lifting the throttle bodies to get to check all connections.  Just needed to reposition some of the hoses clamps to totally seal them.  Rubber is more forgiving with the positioning.  All sealed now. Be aware that most businesses won't stock them as they are made to order unless you are lucky and want either red or blue. I got yellow ones.

• Member Contributer

I would be in for a group buy on these.  We should be able to combine the different generations for more interest/ buyers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 5:04 AM, JZH said:

gallery_362_5959_184256.jpg

The black hose coming off the t-stat goes to the wax idle unit? Don't have one on mine but have an "extra hose" that I'm trying to figure out where it goes...

I did end up going with Samco hoses and racebikebitz hooked me up. I sent an email to Samco the same day I started this thread and they directed it to racebikebitz, who answered immediately (same day if you don't count the time zone difference). Can't beat that for customer service and had I not left for vacation before seeing that email, I would have seen that they also sent me a code for a 10% discount in that email as well.

Unfortunately, it's taken me longer than expected to get them installed.  Broke a head off a bolt on one of the joints going into the top of the engine and had to deal with that before I could get everything in place. Almost done now, should be back up and running tomorrow morning.

• Member Contributer

Yes, I believe that small hose is for the fast idle wax unit thing on the '00 and '01 models.  I didn't replace mine, due to the extreme bend, but maybe the Samco kit includes a pre-bent one?  If so, how about selling it to me?  :tongue:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 23/09/2016 at 11:04 AM, JZH said:

Ciao,

Perfect JZH,  saved me the effort, I'm known as Mohawk here & IDA71 on the UK forum ! :)

• Member Contributer
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 2:50 AM, JZH said:

Yes, I believe that small hose is for the fast idle wax unit thing on the '00 and '01 models.  I didn't replace mine, due to the extreme bend, but maybe the Samco kit includes a pre-bent one?  If so, how about selling it to me?  :tongue:

Ciao,

Sorry about taking so long to respond.  Work got out of control (and was at Barber this past weekend so not all bad anyway). Based on the fiche, I'm pretty sure it's #22 (http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/506c2b1bf870023420a30f68/water-pump). Samco hose part no 2789. I haven't written them yet to see and I haven't been able to find anything yet that allows you to match hose numbers with bikes.

Anyway, if I can find a way to prove it doesn't belong on my bike, you can have it if you need it for yours.

IMG_0794.JPGIMG_0795.JPG

• Member Contributer

I can't tell from the pics if it's the right hose or not, unfortunately.  But it's definitely not blue!  But thanks anyway.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
I can't tell from the pics if it's the right hose or not, unfortunately.  But it's definitely not blue!  But thanks anyway.

Ciao,

You'd just need to add a white hose somewhere. :patriot:

Archived