6th gen sump on 5th gen?

VFROZ

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know for sure if the 6th gen sump (oil pan) will fit a 5th gen?

I have a crack on mine and can get a cheap 6th gen, part numbers are different, but from pictures I can't see a difference.

• Member Contributer

At $70 it's a bit too much to gamble.

And it's too far from me to go look.

Mine split at the sump plug, so it's too hard to fix. (make sure you check your aluminium washer at the plug, it squashes to a cone shape over many oil changes and forces itself into the threaded hole, with normal torque it split the case)

I've got a spare with rock damage to the front which I've patched for the moment, but would like to replace it.

• Member Contributer

Oh that sucks. I guess it pays to change the washer every so often. I actually swapped my drain plug for a valve a couple years ago. Sorry no one else seemed to want to chime in. Maybe ask the 6th Gen forum?

• Member Contributer

It's called Fumoto. Simple plug and play conversion, comes with a fiber washer. There's been some threads here about it if you want to search, since there is a specific part# for VFR thread pitch and diameter. Wera803 first brought it to my attention. 

• Member Contributer

I would have thought for sure that info such as this would be known and noted somewhere on one of the forums. Hmm, not sure if taking a pic from under the each Gen would be enough for comfort. That's about the only thing I can think of. If I get a chance, would you like me to do that for you VFROZ?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, VFROZ said:

Sadly, there is no pan gasket. 

You are supposed to use a sealant instead. 

I was afraid of that, but wasn't sure either way...

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, VFROZ said:

Sadly, there is no pan gasket. 

You are supposed to use a sealant instead. 

Ah, well in that case...use more sealant!  :tongue:

Okay, in penance for that, I looked up the Honda part numbers for the oil pan, and I see that the same part number is used on the late 2001 (i.e., 5th gen) and all subsequent VFR800s through the current 2014-on revival model.  (And the updated part number is also now spec'd for the original RC46s back to 1998.)  In other words, you're good to go!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Thanks JZH, I had looked it up on the Honda Australia sites and they still show a different part number. 

It makes sense to me that they be the same, why change something that's not a problem?

• Member Contributer

Honda revised the RC46 oil pan during the 2001 model year, but the crankcase was not revised at the same time, so something was re-designed on the oil pan, but it is not clear what.  They could have strengthened it, or built up the drain plug area or something like that.

Ciao,

Archived