Lane splitting officially legal in California

• Member Contributer

Thanks D for posting this. Here is some commentary from Surj Gish, who runs lanesplittingislegal.com as well as editing City Bike here in the bay area. Get a sticker!

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/lane-splitting-news/ab-51-signed-by-governor-brown-lane-splitting-is-officially-on-the-books-in-california

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, St. Stephen said:

Thanks D for posting this. Here is some commentary from Surj Gish, who runs lanesplittingislegal.com as well as editing City Bike here in the bay area. Get a sticker!

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/lane-splitting-news/ab-51-signed-by-governor-brown-lane-splitting-is-officially-on-the-books-in-california

I already have my stickers. I got them a while back. I have one on the back of my top case and one on the rear bumper of my car.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Duc2V4 said:

I already have my stickers. I got them a while back. I have one on the back of my top case and one on the rear bumper of my car.

I figured. You are a SoCal lane splitting road warrior. 

56 minutes ago, VFR4Lee said:

So I guess this keeps the same guidelines as before? :happy:

Looks like a 10 mph differential max, and cagers not moving faster than 30 mph. But probably not enforced unless you do something crazy. A positive is that it allows CHP to re-release the guidelines they had to pull previously.

• Member Contributer

No, this is misleading.  Lane splitting is not "officially legal" in California.  The legal situation is the same as before--lane splitting was not prohibited in the CVC, and it still is not prohibited.  All that has changed is that the CHP's recently withdrawn "guidance" now can be restored.  It is still guidance, which is (and was) treated as a government regulation, i.e., something authorized in principle by the state legislature but drafted in detail by a state agency.  Basically, some busybody idiot who hates lane splitting just got the California taxpayers to spend tens of thousands of tax dollars to arrive exactly where we were before.  :mad:

(If you knew what he did for a living you would understand completely why he did this.)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Probably should have used the term in the link..."officially on the books" I think what's important is that it hasn't been made illegal! This was a concern for a lot of us Californians, splitting is a way of life here and makes our commuting time more reasonable. As long as they keep splitting an option, I'll keep using my bike for commuting, if not might as well grab a cup of joe, sit in the car with the AC turned on and the tunes cranked up while I crawl my way to the job.

• Member Contributer

I'm just thankful the legislator body didn't draft an anti lane splitting bill and the CHP guidelines will help set a standard...

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Probably should have used the term in the link..."officially on the books" I think what's important is that it hasn't been made illegal!

It wasn't my intention to criticise you; you only repeated what the "newsy entertainment" sources said.  I definitely agree that the result could have been worse!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, JZH said:

It wasn't my intention to criticise you; you only repeated what the "newsy entertainment" sources said.  I definitely agree that the result could have been worse!

Ciao,

No worries, I was just excited to see that it wasn't taken away from us! But headlines do bring people in to read post don't they?!

• Member Contributer
On 8/20/2016 at 2:32 AM, JZH said:

No, this is misleading.  Lane splitting is not "officially legal" in California.

Ciao,

Lane splitting is officially in the CVC code...

SECTION 1. Section 21658.1 is added to the Vehicle Code, to read:
21658.1. (a) For the purposes of this section, “lane splitting” means
driving a motorcycle, as defined in Section 400, that has two wheels
in contact with the ground, between rows of stopped or moving vehicles
in the same lane, including on both divided and undivided streets,
roads, or highways.

• Member Contributer

The definition of lane splitting is in the vehicle code.  But it says nothing about it being legal or illegal.  The definition was necessary in order to define what the rest of the law was concerned with: "the California Highway Patrol may develop educational guidelines relating to lane splitting".

Ciao,

On 25-8-2016 at 8:28 PM, BusyLittleShop said:

“lane splitting” means driving a motorcycle, as defined in Section 400, that has two wheels in contact with the ground,

So no wheelies while lane splitting Larry :happy:

• Member Contributer
On 8/28/2016 at 2:35 AM, JZH said:

The definition of lane splitting is in the vehicle code.  But it says nothing about it being legal or illegal.  The definition was necessary in order to define what the rest of the law was concerned with: "the California Highway Patrol may develop educational guidelines relating to lane splitting".

Ciao,

I think the definition in the vehicle code is a win...  CHP guidelines are a win... but I agree we still enjoy this privilege because no law exist against
it and the masses aren't too wise about it... in that regard we haven't lost a thing...

• Member Contributer
On 8/28/2016 at 4:19 AM, V4 Rosso said:

So no wheelies while lane splitting Larry :happy:

I'll hold that thought...

Archived