Brake pad falling out... huh?!?!

• Member Contributer

Any views on how/what can cause a brake pad to work its way loose?
Bike is a 3rd gen (RC36-1) from a fellow rider over on the German VFR forum
Most likely OEM pads, with a couple of mil  left on the pad.

As per the workshop manual, the front caliper looks like this:
Capture.JPG

The retainer (#2) and pressure plate (#3) are still in place.

as he has 2 VFR's he has not been riding this one much and while manoeuvring the bike in his garage, he turned the steering full right. The wheel lockup up and after pushing a few times to and fro he heard a sharp pling and found...

wdkl.jpg

Took the retainer pin and pads out:

dkl.jpg

Scary stuff eh?

so, what do you say???

• Member Contributer

$hit falling out due to old age is not limited to bikes :unsure:

• Member Contributer

only way I can see them falling out like that is if they weren't installed correctly.   Scary indeed.

• Member Contributer

Thing is, he said he rode the bike for prolonged time, parked up , never touched them since....

I'd be the caliper isn't sliding freely back and forth. Push the brakes, it deflected entire assembly by going up against the static rotor far enough for the thinner pads to fall out then piston retracts when the pedal is released and there is a new found gap. Gotta grease those sliders.

• Member Contributer

I had this happen on my 6 Gen. I too also rode the bike until I felt something odd on the front. What it looked like happened, the brake pad was not put in properly (by me by the way) but was probably enough to stay put until enough pressure was placed on the pad to dislodge it. When trying to put the pad back in, it seems that the top part of the pad just wasn't sitting into the locking piece enough. I ended up taking the wheel off to get better look/access to the pad. When I had originally installed them, I did this with the wheel on and didn't get a good enough look at making sure it was properly installed. Ironically the rotor helps keep the pad from falling away from the locking piece but does make it difficult to see whether the pad is seated correctly.

• Member Contributer

Dutch,

Your photo clearly shows that the hole in the pad is intact. So unless the pad pain (the long piece at the bottom left of your diagram) is missing or broken there is NO way for the pad to have come loose. Methinks someone simply made a mistake installing the brake pads.

• Member Contributer

I have done the same as Duc2V4, put the pads back in after a piston clean but did not have the far end of the pad located in the #2 retainer properly. Managed to fit the pin but it clearly wasn't right so I pulled it down and did it again, checking from the other side of the wheel that everything was correctly located. I'm now very careful with these sliding pin calipers. I think if the pistons are normally extended, there's no problem, but after maintenance with the pistons retracted there can be enough clearance between disc and retainer to mess it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!!  Perhaps the pads weren't seating hard enough in the clip. The first photo shows the pads still on the bike with the non hole end hanging down... Try new spring clip for that end... Good luck...you seem pretty lucky - in a good way - as it happened in the garage!

• Member Contributer

Cheers Yeah

PS: it is not my bike but a fellow VFR owner from Germany

Archived