Favorite accessories for 8th gen?

• Member Contributer

Removing the OEM tires is the best mod there is for an 8th gen.  It transforms the bike's handling if you buy ST tires with a decent profile.  

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, wannabfast said:

do you have pictures of the rad cover? i looked today, and there was a big plastic mesh covering the lower radiator... unless it covers the oil cooler above the cylinder head?

It's the upper radiator.   If you have a look through the forum someone has put up pics 

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 0:42 AM, wannabfast said:

do you have pictures of the rad cover? i looked today, and there was a big plastic mesh covering the lower radiator... unless it covers the oil cooler above the cylinder head?

http://www.radguard.com.au/products/honda-vfr-800-f-2014-2016-radiator-guard.html

On 7/18/2016 at 5:42 AM, wannabfast said:

Yes, it's the one above the cylinder head. No, that's not the oil cooler. This pic shows all three, upper radiator (with R&G guard fitted, more easily available than radguard in the UK), lower radiator and oil cooler in front of the forks. I'd agree with getting a guard for the upper rad, it's right in line with the gap above the fender and between the forks for any flying debris.

2015-06-21 top rad guard fitted 2.JPG

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 5:30 PM, sdouble said:

for me, by far the dunlop roadsmart 3.

best mod ever

I remembered this post from a few months ago today when I switched my stock Dunlops to Q3's.  I think you hit the nail on the head.  I had no idea how bad those tires were until I got some decent ones.  I'm not saying Q3's are great--haven't had enough time with them--but you can immediately feel how much better the bike handles.  You'd probably have the same realization with any decent tire.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 9:56 AM, Bent said:

Removing the OEM tires is the best mod there is for an 8th gen.  It transforms the bike's handling if you buy ST tires with a decent profile.  

+1

• Member Contributer
On 6/12/2016 at 0:23 PM, jhenley17 said:

Did you order the bags yourself? Did the rear trunk require both the rear carrier (08L73-MJM-A10) and the rear trunk base (08L74-MJM-D10)? It seems a little crazy that I'd need $800 worth of brackets and plates just to mount a trunk.

It is crazy, and that's absolutely correct.

This was noted in the review I put on my web site in 2014.

I fitted a white powerbronze hugger recently, also have the Puig dark screen.

Nice, thanks Nelix

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to me both upper and lower radiators could use a guard. The lower one in the pic looks like it's getting debris on it form the front tire. Does anyone make guards for both radiators?

• Member Contributer

I'm not seeing much probability at all of a rock getting to the upper radiator after looking at the front tire and it "debris sling path".  

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Rambler358 said:

What about a car/truck that kicks up a rock in front of you?

For others, maybe so, for me, not likely.  I ride recreationally in mountain twisties only and that means not in traffic, in rural areas well over 90% of the time, and not behind cars and trucks for long at all.  The mountain twisties start at the end of my driveway.  So, I just don't worry about it.  ; ) 

2 hours ago, Bent said:

For others, maybe so, for me, not likely.  I ride recreationally in mountain twisties only and that means not in traffic, in rural areas well over 90% of the time, and not behind cars and trucks for long at all.  The mountain twisties start at the end of my driveway.  So, I just don't worry about it.  ; ) 

I somehow took 2 hits to mine before it even had 1k miles.  Not sure how, when, where.  They were both minor--just some slightly bent fins, but I opted for the RadGuard.  I think the front fender is not long enough in the back...shrug

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, RC79Scott said:

I somehow took 2 hits to mine before it even had 1k miles.  Not sure how, when, where.  They were both minor--just some slightly bent fins, but I opted for the RadGuard.  I think the front fender is not long enough in the back...shrug

I don't think the front fender is long enough either but not much "debris, dirt, rocks or water seems to splash up on the plastic rad cover, head, and the rest of the stuff up there.  I guess if it would magically appear on my radiator I would like that but my life doesn't run that way.  Where does one get a RadGuard, Scott?

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:22 AM, Bent said:

I don't think the front fender is long enough either but not much "debris, dirt, rocks or water seems to splash up on the plastic rad cover, head, and the rest of the stuff up there.  I guess if it would magically appear on my radiator I would like that but my life doesn't run that way.  Where does one get a RadGuard, Scott?

I just ordered from their website:  http://www.radguard.com.au/  I've attached a quick photo of mine and the instructions that came with it.

Shipping was high to US from Australia, but it came relatively quickly...about 9 days IIRC.

I'd say you have a good point about the fender--hadn't considered it fully.  Glad I went with the guard instead of the extender.

IMG_20160812_182916.jpg

scan0001.pdf

• Member Contributer

Thanks.  Looks like a beefy part there.  Since I've just never had trouble up there with four bikes, I'll take my chances.  ; )

• 2 weeks later...

Archived