Rear Brake Dragging After Pad Install

Shooter

So I just replaced rear brake pads on my '01. I put on new Galfers. It was a pain to get the new pads in and seemed awfully tight.

Once it was all assembled, there is noticeable dragging.

Question is: Will it possibly clear up once they get broken in?

Cogswell,

Not smoothly. When I pushed the caliper in towards the disk to compress the pistons, it would not compress them all the way. Once I got the pads out I was able to compress them enough with a screwdriver (I was careful not to gouge or scratch the pistons) to squeeze the new pads in.

• Member Contributer

If the fluid is old it might help to change it. If any of the pistons are corroded, sticky or dirty, it might require a rebuild to free them up. You could also try working them back and forth to help free them. Apply brake pressure, then work them back in repeatedly. Riding might do that, but will be hard on the pads and rotor if it's really dragging.

• Member Contributer

Too much brake fluid in the system?

If you refilled recently (with the pads worn down) to the max, fitting new (thicker) pads, it will push the fluid upwards to a point perhaps where it creates pressure?

Cogswell,

Not smoothly. When I pushed the caliper in towards the disk to compress the pistons, it would not compress them all the way. Once I got the pads out I was able to compress them enough with a screwdriver (I was careful not to gouge or scratch the pistons) to squeeze the new pads in.

As a tip, next time use a socket in the piston & lever on that... (if you use a socket that 'fits snugly' it makes it a lot easier)

I replaced fluid and bled the entire system. It took a while, but got it done.

When I had the rear caliper off, I noticed the rear wheel is hard to spin. Appears to have nothing to do with brakes. I'm not sure if this is normal. I don't remember it being this difficult to rotate.

I put everything back together and took it for a spin. Rode fine, accelerated well, brakes worked great.

Just seems odd that the rear wheel doesn't seem to spin very freely. Does this have anything to with it being a single sided swingarm and no axle?

When I had the rear caliper off, I noticed the rear wheel is hard to spin. Appears to have nothing to do with brakes. I'm not sure if this is normal. I don't remember it being this difficult to rotate.

I put everything back together and took it for a spin. Rode fine, accelerated well, brakes worked great.

Just seems odd that the rear wheel doesn't seem to spin very freely. Does this have anything to with it being a single sided swingarm and no axle?

You need to be sure the sliding collar on the caliper is nor rusted and lubed and free to move.

post-3647-0-97799300-1460171157.jpg

Sounds like the wheel bearing.

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f5b3f870021c54be7bdb/rear-wheel

A bad wheel bearing is common for the age of the bike but if you do not recall this problem before, do you remember hitting any nasty pot holes?

i had the same problem on my 5th gen after the first time I changed the pads. All 3 of my calipers needed rebuilds.

I think the issue is the piston running against old pads for a long time will cause too much dirt an moisture to build up on the outside of the piston so it wont retract into the bore smoothly.

You might be able to get away with using the brake pedal to push the pistons out a little further than the dirt line and clean them, but it will be real hard to clean the top part of the pistons. they sit really close to the caliper body.

• Member Contributer

You can try putting a strip of cloth behind the -pushed out a bit- piston, squirt brake cleaner and see-saw the cloth...

Not as perfect as a complete strip, but better than nothing.

On the claipers of a 4th gen, an old toothbrush also gets in some hard to reach places.

• Member Contributer

You should be able to grab the very outer edge of the piston with pliers and gently rotate it to access those hard to clean surfaces.

Archived