Custom Bike Project (Gen5 Engine) Need Help Getting It To Start

Spraintz

• Member Contributer

Ok, mine is a 38770-MBG-671. So there could be something on the 2000/2001 ECU that isn't shown on the 98 service manual wiring diagram. Unfortunately, I don't know of any source for the later diagrams. It is unlikely, but possible that the later dashboard must be connected.

If this was my project, I would triple check my ground circuit wiring and measure resistance from the ECU connector to the negative battery terminal. After that, I would clean the connector and pray. If this failed, I would be hunting for a 98-99 ECU. I hate recommending a replacement ECU though, it seems like a cop-out. It might actually be the culprit here though.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can find no other diagram other than "98 - 01"............so it would seem they are the same, but yeah, if there are a different set of pin-outs or somethin...that would be great to know,

can someone please confirm the ECU's main power "IN"(+).....and what the voltage should be?....G/R?

• Member Contributer

Aside from jumping the relays, I would say try your ECU in someone else's bike.

We used to have a rule at the Porsche shop that if we suspected a ECU was bad we tried it in another car that we knew was working. We would never do it the other way around, in case some wiring fault was frying the ECU, or something else was amiss. A running bike is a "known quantity", yours has been modified, and has been sitting for quite sometime.

If you have no one you know locally, maybe someone on this list with a fifth gen will try your ECU in their bike, and at least let you know if it is good or not. That way you know whether to look for further faults, or look for an ECU.

• Member Contributer

I can find no other diagram other than "98 - 01"............so it would seem they are the same, but yeah, if there are a different set of pin-outs or somethin...that would be great to know,

can someone please confirm the ECU's main power "IN"(+).....and what the voltage should be?....G/R?

Main power in is: Pin B8, Bl/W, around 12-15 volts input

The other wire you are asking about: Green/Red is the Ground Safety Circuit (Can be pulled to ground through ECU->clutch switch->sidestand swtich->chassis OR ECU->clutch diode->neutral switch->chassis

I'm lead to believe this is a 00-01 wiring diagram. Could be wrong, good luck

Looks like the same one I have (98-99). I see a noticeable lack of O2 sensors, which would indicate that this is not for a 00-01.

• Member Contributer

The other wire you are asking about: Green/Red is the Ground Safety Circuit (Can be pulled to ground through ECU->clutch switch->sidestand swtich->chassis OR ECU->clutch diode->neutral switch->chassis

Looks like the same one I have (98-99). I see a noticeable lack of O2 sensors, which would indicate that this is not for a 00-01.

O2 sensors are top right corner

• Member Contributer

O2 sensors are top right corner
Ah yes, got a higher resolution image?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
Ah yes, got a higher resolution image?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The later versions of the manual had both versions of the wiring diagram ('98-'99 and '00-'01).

Two of the PDFs of the manual in the downloads section can be zoomed in on without getting too ugly.

page 558 from marriedman's manual download:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/files/download/171-98-01-honda-vfr-service-manual-optimized-bookmarked/

page 255 from HS's manual part B download:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/files/getdownload/534-1998-2001-service-manual-part-a-and-b/

Thanks ggathagan and Vee-Ef-Ar for clarifiying the pin outs for the different year ECU's

Now, from what I can see, if I'm reading it right, it was only "additions" in the 00/01 ECU....no changing of pin outs.........right? and nothing added that should alter being able to turn on fuel pump/start the engine.....right?

OK Fellers..........just saw somethin

looks like 00/01 ignition has a 4 wire connector with resistance/voltage reference that goes back to the ECU..................since I have this wired like a 98/99 (only 3 wire) I'm guessin maybe that's why I ain't starting :cool:

Soooooo......can anybody happen to help me get the correct resistance to that input of the 00/01 ECU?

ok kids.....I'm convinced that this is why I'm not starting............so here is what I need help with:

my wire harness has this:

post-35309-0-94967700-1460040321.jpgpost-35309-0-59496400-1460040321.jpg

my ECU expects this (not worried about the O2 connections, just the pink ignition one):

post-35309-0-24912000-1460040386.jpgpost-35309-0-83249600-1460040385.jpg

can anybody help me wire that up somehow so I don't gotta buy more stuff? :491:

I know it's a touchy subject and don't wanna put anybody out.........happy to discuss in a PM

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, the later wiring diagrams don't provide any clue to the exact purpose of the pink wire. Even the switch schematic at the bottom left of the page does not indicate the connectivity of the pink wire. I don't have any first hand experiences with the 4 wire ignition switches so I can't be much help there. Some threads on this forum mention the pink wire, but none really say what it does. We would need someone with a 00/01 bike to probe the connection with the switch on/off to determine the function.

All the other wires going into that connection are carrying or returning +12v. Now it may be as simple as returning +12v, or there may be a resistor in the circuit that returns a lower voltage. To complicate matters further, if the body of the switch mechanism is grounded to the chassis, then something all together different may be occurring. We would need to know:

Resistance between the other 3 outputs and pink with the key on and off

Resistance between pink and chassis key on/off

Voltage at B13 of the ECU connector key on/off

Even with this, I can still think of some other trickery employed that would confound the whole experiment. If the owner of a 00/01 bike could kindly check this, we may be able to devise a solution. Please don't post this information in the open forum, use PMs. It may still prove easier to acquire a 00/01 ignition switch with 4 wire output. The only other issue is that both the wiring diagram scans have the pink wire fade away shortly below the ignition switch, so this wire may or may not have other connections than the ECU. It looks like a direct wire though.

May shed some light on the "pink" ignition wire:

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/91903-1998-cbr900-rrw-ignition-diode.html

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/electronics/104449-99-cbr-900-rr-ignition-switch-problem.html

At least on the 900, there is a diode between the ignition and the ECM to drop the voltage and send signal to ECM. It wouldn't surprise me that the VFR has a similar setup.

Scott

• Member Contributer

I PM'd him something very similar about the CBR929rr switch. I don't like discussing hotwiring openly, but this seems like it is pretty much all over the net already.

• Member Contributer

Perhaps I can help with a spare ECU from 2000 VFR800fi or 2001 VFR800fi wrecks. I plan to combine the two into one working machine and could spare an ECU for a while for testing purposes.

So let me know if I can help.

• Member Contributer

You'll be the envy of everyone at shows you take that to. You'll fire it up and they'll say "WHOA - wazzat?" :cool: Very cool project. Congrats.

Archived