Proper Center Stand Technique?

How do y'all put a VFR800 on its center stand?

I used to have no trouble doing this with my GS750 (which weighed about the same as my 2014 VFR), but I've yet to succeed with my new toy. I'm no bodybuilder (5' 8", 175 lbs.), but the weight doesn't seem to be the problem, it's where to hold the bike and in which direction to pull.

Before I tried it I had assumed the left side passenger grab handle would help, but I find it's too far back to offer any assistance at all. I'm missing something. What?

Apologies for the pathetitude of this question. My next one will be more rugged and manly.

The key is putting lots of weight on the centerstand with your foot...basically stand on it, as you lift on the grab handle and guide the bike back and up onto the stand. Your weight on the stand with your foot should be doing most of the work. You shouldn't have to lift very hard on the grab handle.

• Member Contributer
My experience in life is that almost always other have the same "dumb" question I do. Even more telling, among those who "already knew" the answer, a decent percentage will turn out to be mistaken. Be fearless in your question asking!

I agree that the VFR800 feels surprisingly heavy when it comes to this maneuver. I'm not sure why. Maybe I'll learn a better technique by reading the replies of others. Here's my technique:

1. Put the bike on it's side-stand.*

2. Use my left hand to grab the bike's left grip. Use my right hand (palm up) to grab the tubular rear sub-frame near the seat lock. Straighten the handlebars.

3. With the bike leaning toward me, lightly push the center-stand down using my right foot. At this point, there are three points of contact: front wheel, rear wheel, and the center-stand's left "foot".

4. Still pushing down lightly with my right foot, carefully tilt the bike away from me until I feel the center-stand's right "foot" make contact with the ground. Obviously this step requires a bit of attention because you could conceivably tilt the bike past its balance point, after which something bad is probably going to happen. I've never had that happen.

5. At this point I put all my weight (same as yours) on the center-stand step bar and lift up (mostly) and backward (a little) with my right hand. Unless you are much much stronger than I am, your right bicep isn't really going to be the star of this show. Use standard deadlift technique, mostly leg and a straight back. Here I'm mostly just repeating DriverDave's advice.

6. Remember to put the side-stand up if you had it down.

The only way I ever take the bike off the center-stand is by sitting on it and rocking it forward.

* EDIT: Originally said I don't put the bike on the side-stand first, then remembered that of course I do since a deployed side-stand is part of the normal dismount.

I've never had a bike with centre stand before. I used a similar technique to the one above. Got a friend to stand on the other side the first couple of times to get the feel of what to do. After he left did it a couple of times by myself. Bloody heavy, even moving in the garage. I think they used fatter than normal kilos when they measured the weight. A bloody solid bike.

In my experience compared to other bikes, the vfr isn't particularly difficult to get on its centre stand and if you're really straining yourself your technique could use some improvement. RobF's post is very good and describes the technique perfectly (especially the bit about putting the centre stands left foot down first and then lifting it until you feel both feet contacting the ground.. You weigh enough that you really shouldn't need a huge amount of lift with your arm and most of the leverage to get it up should come from pushing down heavily with your foot. . Any lift from your arm should be directed up and not back, so your right foot should be pushing down and your right arm should be pulling up. Your left arm should be used only for holding the front wheel straight.

I would often just stand on the left hand side of the bike and rock it forward a bit to get it off the centre stand. Having the side stand down can help give you a bit of confidence you won't drop it too. Sitting on it and rocking it off is fine too.

edit: your instinct to use the passenger peg bracket is correct. You could try to use the frame rail under the seat, but the passenger peg bracket works nicely.

• Member Contributer

Curiously, the 1200 is much, much easier to get onto the centre stand.

• Member Contributer

edit: your instinct to use the passenger peg bracket is correct. You could try to use the frame rail under the seat, but the passenger peg bracket works nicely.

I don't really understand why anyone tries to use a pillion handle at all to get the bike on its center stand, unless they are nine and a half feet tall. The passenger peg bracket offers the best leverage.

Now here's the interesting thing... I was gonna make a snide comment like "doesn't anyone read the owners manuals?", but, backed away from the button and did a little research first.

It's weird how year to year the recommendations change. Some of the manuals suggest grabbing the peg bracket with your right hand but some actually suggest the grab rail.

• Member Contributer

I use the passenger handle to roll the bike back and up as I step down on the stand. Minimal leverage is needed as the bike and your body weight does all the work.

• Member Contributer

My experience in life is that almost always other have the same "dumb" question I do. Even more telling, among those who "already knew" the answer, a decent percentage will turn out to be mistaken. Be fearless in your question asking!

I agree that the VFR800 feels surprisingly heavy when it comes to this maneuver. I'm not sure why. Maybe I'll learn a better technique by reading the replies of others. Here's my technique:

1. Put the bike on it's side-stand.*

2. Use my left hand to grab the bike's left grip. Use my right hand (palm up) to grab the tubular rear sub-frame near the seat lock. Straighten the handlebars.

3. With the bike leaning toward me, lightly push the center-stand down using my right foot. At this point, there are three points of contact: front wheel, rear wheel, and the center-stand's left "foot".

4. Still pushing down lightly with my right foot, carefully tilt the bike away from me until I feel the center-stand's right "foot" make contact with the ground. Obviously this step requires a bit of attention because you could conceivably tilt the bike past its balance point, after which something bad is probably going to happen. I've never had that happen.

5. At this point I put all my weight (same as yours) on the center-stand step bar and lift up (mostly) and backward (a little) with my right hand. Unless you are much much stronger than I am, your right bicep isn't really going to be the star of this show. Use standard deadlift technique, mostly leg and a straight back. Here I'm mostly just repeating DriverDave's advice.

6. Remember to put the side-stand up if you had it down.

The only way I ever take the bike off the center-stand is by sitting on it and rocking it forward.

* EDIT: Originally said I don't put the bike on the side-stand first, then remembered that of course I do since a deployed side-stand is part of the normal dismount.

On the new Vfr either hold the passenger grab handle if fitted or the bracket for the pannier.

Read page 14 of your owners manual.

http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/motorcycles/VFR800FE-2014.pdf

I think the arm used for applying foot pressure is shorter than other bikes I've had. It is difficult to get on the centre stand. I don't think it offers enough leverage. :-)

The first time you get the technique exactly right, you'll be amazed at how easy it really is. I remember struggling the first few times when I first got my 6th gen, but eventually I gained the confidence to just stand on it and pop it up with no hesitation or effort. I think the fear and nervousness are a huge factor in making it difficult. It certainly was for me the very first time I tried it. As for using the grab handle, I'm only 5'8" and have no problem using it instead of the pannier mount. The reason for this is back to the main technique...all the lifting action comes from the downward force of your foot on the centerstand, not your right arm.

Wear a hard sole boot. No flip flops.

What vfr4lee says. No rubber soles either. I'm 5'4" and plonk it on the centre stand no trouble. But I turn handlebar to full lock left. Left hand gripping hand grip, Throw weight on right foot on center stand extension and lean towards the back of the bike while lifting hand grip with right hand at same time. Once you figure the right amount of effort it's easy.

• Member Contributer

Put the bike on the side stand

use your foot to bring down the center stand until it touches the ground

push the bike up until you feel it resting on both feet of the center stand

stand on the center stand foot peg while lifting up on the pillon rail or passenger peg until it lifts up and onto the stand

There's about a million videos on youtube of guys doing it with BMWs and Goldwings to show the technique. Its really simple once you get it.

Your issue may not be to do with the bike. I struggled for ages to get the bike on the centre stand and then realised it was because my stone drive is uneven and the centre stand was in a slight hollow - maybe only an inch lower then the wheels, but enough to cause a problem. In fact, once I'd got the bike onto the centre stand, that small hollow was enough to stop the rear wheel from turning, which undermined the whole point of the exercise, which was to oil the chain!

Other than that, I actually find it easier to use my left foot on the stand. Don't know why, but it may help you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Obviously this step requires a bit of attention because you could conceivably tilt the bike past its balance point, after which something bad is probably going to happen. I've never had that happen.

I have. Shit got ugly.

At 71 I am not as strong as i used to be, but agree with using the passenger pillion bracket. I start by standing on center stand arm then tip bike gently till I feel the other right side foot of the stand firm on the ground, then I lift with the bracket.

Once you have both legs of the center stand on the ground, try putting more weight on your foot that's on the arm. You'll be surprised how much it will help push the bike up and back onto the stand.

It's almost all in the foot. Should do very little lifting with the arm. I've seen someone do it with two fingers. The more you do it the easier it gets as you get the hang of it. And as someone else mentioned - a good flat solid surface helps.

The first few times I placed my 2014 on the center stand I was afraid I would drop it. Once you do it properly you can put it on the center stand with the steering locked even, and it does not require lifting the bike. I place my right hand on the left side bracket for the pannier, steady the bike with my left hand on the handlebar. Once you tilt the bike up and push the center stand down to make contact with both right and left legs it only requires stepping down hard on the center stand and using your hand to guide the bike up into place at the same time. It involves technique not much strength.

Archived