Transmission Sticks In Gear

• Member Contributer

BIKE: Original owner 2000 VFR. 24,000 miles. Dealer maintained. Never down. No mods. Last service 9/2015.

ISSUE: Started bike for ride and it ran normally for 20 minutes. Then, it would not shift into neutral and I limped the bike home. At home, bike shifts through gears when off. When on, locks into gear and won't shift.

Ironically, the dealer referred me to a trusted, mom and pop shop. This shop gave me a possible (and plausible) diagnosis (but won't know, of course, until they see the bike).

QUESTION: For folks with a similar experience, what's your diagnosis?

• Member Contributer

Is the clutch releasing? If not maybe just bleeding the hydraulics (including adding fluid if it's low) is all that's needed.

Sometimes the mom and pop shops are way better than the dealer facilities.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for positng. The clutch releases fine.

This shop recently had a similar issue on a 99 VFR. They think it's a bent pin which is fine by me because it will be $26 for the pin, and 2.5 hours labor. Otherwise, they're splitting the case and we're looking at $1,800.

• Member Contributer

How do you know the clutch releases fine? Sounds very odd. Seems very strange that it only happens with the engine running.

And do you know what bent pin they're referring to?

• Member Contributer

Past experience the arm on the GEARSHIFT SPINDLE broke and the other time the SPINDLE return spring broke... all were outside the engine cases

If your pin on the shifting fork got bent you can drop the exhaust and the oil pan and removed and replaced shifting forks but it ain't easy...

• Member Contributer

It would seem like if the pin on the shifting fork got bent, it would be hard to shift at all, not just while the bike is running. Just seems weird.

• Member Contributer

It would seem like if the pin on the shifting fork got bent, it would be hard to shift at all, not just while the bike is running. Just seems weird.

This was my thought, too. I'll update a full diagnosis once I get the word from the shop. Hopefully, the issue is outside the case.

• Member Contributer

This was my thought, too. I'll update a full diagnosis once I get the word from the shop. Hopefully, the issue is outside the case.

Good luck M S.

• Member Contributer

I received a call from my shop and it's good news:

DIAGNOSIS: Deteriorating clutch fluid, coupled with dirty gearshift. COST: Clutch fluid and cleaning = 3 hours labor.

VERDICT: I'm an idiot. First, I obviously can't diagnose problems. Second, it appears that I let the clutch fluid service run too long which surprises me because I thought it was done not too long ago. Third, you guys are great. Thanks for your interest. See you on the road.

Archived