My Mra Screen Is A Real Disappointment, Are Givi Screens Good?

Hi all.

I've had my MRA screen for some months now, and it really is a big let down. It doesn't so much cut the wind noise down, as change the tone.

I'm considering changing it for a Givi screen, but wanted to get some opinions first. Maybe i could go for a smaller screen so that at least my head is in the clean air?

For reference: Stock height bike, genmar 1 inch risers, and i'm 5ft 11in / 180cm / 1.8m

I'm mostly looking to cut wind noise down as i have quite bad hearing which i'd rather not make any worse if i can avoid it.

When i purchased the bike, it had some unknown double-bubble screen on it which was terrible under 40mph (most of my riding) and just ok-ish over that.

I may buy a stock screen for the bike to see how it compares, especially as they're just £20 on ebay.

Also looking at the obvious Givi D200S for a tall option.

• Member Contributer

I would stick with stock or double bubble and add ear plugs to my kit.

I find that when I change my ride position to a slightly more aggressive stance that the noise is cut down greatly but that is not practical for commuting or other mundane riding.

For reference you and I appear to be close in stature but hard to say about limb length etc...I find that with Heli bars the noise increases as well,

I'm surprised how much noise even the ends of my visor on my helmet seem to generate.

I have the double bubble as well, I don't see how guys can ride naked bikes, I had one in the

past and a 200-300 mile day felt exhausting from just the constant wind buffeting, not to mention

the noise. My secret weapon must be my bad posture, I think I unintentionally somewhat slouch

below the wind stream.

• Member Contributer

I've had a Givi D200s on all of my five fifth gens. I'm 5'8" (and a little). I have found a long list of desirables:

- gas mileage went up ~ 5 mpg because the taller screen presents a better aerodynamic form that the bricks my shoulders presented,

- quite a bit quieter - the wind hits at the bottom of my face shield, fewer bugs on my face shield,

- dryer in the rain,

- it's warmer than the oem screen which can be a disadvantage if you live/ride in a warm climate. If I'm going where it's hot in the summer, I put the oem windscreen back on. Takes a few minutes.

But it does not do anything to improve the looks. Some have referred to the look as pterodactyl-like. That is fine with me 'cause I've been known to be named Terry Dactyl. HA!

p.s. I use a Schuberth C-3 Pro modular helmet. Which is a very quiet helmet to begin with. Much attention has been engineered to close up the area around the bottom of the helmet.

And I NEVER ride w/o ear plugs. Between loud music (twelfth row, Rolling Stones concert, tinnitus started and has only gotten worse) and helmet wind noise pre-ear plugs, my hearing suffered greatly. I'm half deaf now and do not want to get any worse.The tinnitus is especially bad. And it is always present.

• Member Contributer

Zero gravity also makes a selection of screens for the 5th gen.

http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/product_page.php?pn=453

I only have experience with the touring screen on my 6th gen. I don't notice any buffeting with it. I do though make earplugs part of my ATGATT. I buy them by the box and stash them in my jacket pockets, tankbag, under the seat so I always have a pair available.

• Member Contributer

Hell, Cogs and others are all over this. Earplugs. When I was much younger I bought a Norton Commando off an elderly chap. 75 and he had tinnitus. He grabbed my shoulder and looked me in the eye and shared the need for plugs as the pain he was suffering was so great. A good windscreen is a help, but earplugs are mandatory. You don't need to spend a lot, get the foamies or the custom ones. But use them.

Dave

Why aren't people wearing ear plugs? Everyone wears a helmet jacket boots and gloves in case a rare crash happens. Don't wear earplugs and you WILL cause damage 100% of the time

If you don't wear earplugs then your noise complaints are irrelevant

I also have severe tinnitus, hearing damage and hyperacusis. I know how it is. Most of my riding is in the city and usually at no more than 30-40mph. In those conditions, the MRA screen i have is fine. I also have a HJC RPHA Max Evo helmet which has a noise rating almost the same as the Shuberth C3 pro (by 1 or 2 db).

I usually remember my foam ear plugs (-39db) but i want a quieter screen to not only help with the noise reduction, but also for the times i forget my plugs.

I find most of the wind i get is around the ear-level on my helmet with a little underneath. Having the visor open a crack makes little to no difference to the noise that i can hear. I've tried adjusting the flap on the screen through the full range of positions, but none of them seem to work well for me. They all just change the tone of the wind noise. What i need is to either move the wind up to the top of the helmet, or down far enough that it doesn't hit my helmet at all.

I have the ZG sport touring screen and I love it. I have had a GIVI before and hated it... was about to put the stock back on when I found this... I also use it with taller bars and it works fine also (LSL Kit)

IMG_20141025_130936819_HDR_zpshshpnva0.j

• Member Contributer

Your handlebars may be too tall to make the MRA screen useful. Rather than knock the MRA, consider the physics of the situation. The same thing happened when I put higher risers on my K12S and the Vario was no longer helpful. I switched from the Vario to the Xcreen Tour (the attachment is actually the same, so you don't need a new screen, just the new adjustable attachment) and I couldn't be happier. The Xcreen Tour is by far one of the most impressive pieces of equipment I have purchased. It is much taller and more adjustable given the situation. I have a review somewhere on here. As others have mentioned, I would caution avoidance of earplugs.

• Member Contributer

Hell, Cogs and others are all over this. Earplugs. When I was much younger I bought a Norton Commando off an elderly chap. 75 and he had tinnitus. He grabbed my shoulder and looked me in the eye and shared the need for plugs as the pain he was suffering was so great. A good windscreen is a help, but earplugs are mandatory. You don't need to spend a lot, get the foamies or the custom ones. But use them.

Dave

Same here. I was at Tail of the Dragon, on my way to Daytona, when a kind man gave me ear plugs. I used them irregularly until Daytona. While there I realized my hearing had diminished since I left Minnesota. Ever since then I cannot ride with out them.

I keep my plugs in the same pocket as my key. No way to forget them then. Man it's loud without them. That is unless your riding a big tourer with a barn door blocking the wind for you.

• Member Contributer

I keep my plugs in the same pocket as my key. No way to forget them then. Man it's loud without them. That is unless your riding a big tourer with a barn door blocking the wind for you.

Wait until your gear-driven cams arrive. They can make a deaf person blind w/o protection.

• Member Contributer

I have the tall sport touring Zero Gravity for my 6th gen. I'm 6'-0" and it makes all day touring much more tolerable. The only slight draw back is that rather than a "hook" and two tabs for screws on each side, it just has the hook and one upper tab. It holds very securely however at low speeds, there is a slight plastic-on-plastic sqeakiness to it. Over all, it was a wise purchase for long days in the saddle.

Had a tall Givi on my 1998, at 6'4" it did two things, 1. shot all the wind at my face/head 2. took the wind off my chest which i use to help support the forward riding position of the VFR.

I went stock. I'll be staying stock on my 1999 as well.

-PRB

• Member Contributer

The clamp on version will clamp to the top of your screen if it has no holes (ie stock or some non-MRA screen). If you already own the Vario lower portion of the screen, the bolt on will fit in the bolts where the Vario adjuster attached. Just a few screws to switch them back and forth.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mra-x-creen-tour-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=Cj0KEQjwzq63BRCrtIuGjImRoIIBEiQAGLHdYSD-T99k29a_d7YXUZChuCDdfFYLNIMkReah74PcgZ0aAgK-8P8HAQ

Wait until your gear-driven cams arrive. They can make a deaf person blind w/o protection.

Already got an RC51 so I'm well adjusted to the orchestra that is gear driven cams ;)

Archived