Electronic Cruise Control

JED13

BikenG, why don't you call up CYCLE Pro and ask the shop owner how everything works?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Good point, but mostly because transatlantic phone calls are very expensive from this end, especially when I usually find I'm not able to elicit the information I require in such calls. In any case it would be a bit cheeky as I wouldn't be buying from them. Don't think I can as I believe Dimsport don't allow cross territory sales like that.

But don't worry, I think i have a pretty good idea of what's what even if I don't know exactly how they're doing it. I am very interested in the RBR module for my 800 project, both for fuel, ignition and also this rpm/speed control. Sounds pretty good.

Cross territory sales? People in the UK and new Zealand bought in on the group buy...

If you don't want to talk to the us distributer on phone due to long distance phone call rates, you could just email him. Or you could email the guys in Italy...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I was told (by Mohawk I believe) that the US distributor (CYCLE Pro is it not?) is no longer allowed to sell to the UK where there is now a real distributor. I think at the time of the Group Buy there wasn't one.

Anyway, no matter. Any info I need in the future I'm sure will be found somewhere. Thanks anyway.

• Member Contributer

I have spoken (email) to Yaman at Cycle Pro about the use of the RB system as an ECC. Bottom line, he could not answer the specifics, particularly the overrides by brake/clutch, but said he would pose the questions to Dimsport in Italy and get back to me. Should hear what they've got to say in a few days. Yaman did confirm the minimum group buy to get a RB unit adapted to the 1200 would be 15 committed buyers...meaning paid in advance.

15 buyers isn't too bad. I would imagine, most of those that went for the Guhl ECU flash, would probably be interested in stacking on the Rapid Bike Evo or Racing module on top of it, to handle the fine tuning as the Guhl flash is only a base map and most of the Guhl flash buyers did not have a custom map made.

Don didn't load a map when he reflashed my 2010 because i had the Bazazz ZFi installed......the map he installed on my 2012 feels much better

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Prez has told me my CC will ship next week. As mentioned in his post on page 7 of that forum thread, he's sending one to me and one to a guy in Hungary with a DCT and then I think he'll wait for feedback from us before sending others out. Be assured this will be going on my bike ASAP and I post a review on here.

• Member Contributer

Will be watching for your review as my McCruise unit actuator bit the dust. Have asked Prez to put me on his send list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

As far as the Rapid Bike unit serving as a cruise control, or even rpm control, I heard back from Yaman at Rapid Bike USA, aka Cycle Pro today. He essentially confirmed what has been deduced here and that is the RB unit does not really control speed, it basically only limits going above a preset RPM.

Here is what he said:

The RB RPM control is not a cruise control, it just does not allow RPM 's to go higher above the preset level. you still need to hold the throttle and such, but if it was let say set at 4000 rpm while you are cruising and activated it would not allow bike to go over that limit and still requires holding on to the grip and maintaining the throttle.

Still like the RB unit for what it does with fuel control, and will officially be the first to commit to the 15 needed to pony up the money to get RB to build a unit for the 1200. Anyone else?

But, I'll be looking at the unit Prez (Satariel666) is beta testing for my ECC needs.

Group buy I think was around $400 for Evo and $600 for Racing. I cant remember exactly, it was like almost two years ago now when we did it for the 800s.

Rapid Bike Race has ignition map tuning, power commander V does not by itself. Some times power commander offers a separate ignition module and ignition harness, but only for popular RR bikes with two wire ignition coils, aka no vfr800 and a $360 add on for VFR1200 with PCV.

The Rapid bike Evo and race offer full closed loop fuel tuning using the factory o2 sensors or optional 1/2/4 wide band o2 sensor. Power commander offers open loop fuel tuning and for $325 you can add a single wide band o2 sensor and auto tune module and harness that simply creates a table that you have to manually punch into your fuel map. The rapid bike does it in real time while you ride, constantly adjusting for real/current atmospheric and road conditions.

So you can buy a Rapid Bike racing for about $600 or a PCV for $399 ignition module for $359 and auto tune for $325, aka $1083...

With the Rapid bike you can add the "Youtune" Display and have AFR/RPM/TPS/ readout, and while you ride launch control, traction control, fuel trim target, engine braking control adjust ability.

• Member Contributer

Excellent information - thank you!

I'm assuming using a wide band O2 sensor (1200 only has 1) will give you finer resolution for the EVO to adjust the map?

And the 1/2/4 option is for single/per bank/per cylinder tuning, furthering the resolution/accuracy once again?

I have been told that going wide band just gathers data faster and more accurately, but the resolution (number of cells) will be the same. I have been running 4 wide band o2 sensors (one per cylinder) from the get got, so that is the setup I have the most information on.

There'e an EVO kit for Crosstourer - to my knowledge connectors will be the same so direct swap. I tried to talk with RB but they never replied my emails regarding

using the CT kit in a VFR...

I see You are now the NEW RB dealer?

• Member Contributer

I have been told that going wide band just gathers data faster and more accurately, but the resolution (number of cells) will be the same. I have been running 4 wide band o2 sensors (one per cylinder) from the get got, so that is the setup I have the most information on.

Sorry, by resolution, I meant more accurate, and more (finer graduations of A/F ratio) information being sent from the O2 sensor(s). Back when I was into Porsche racing, the wideband O2's were quite expensive compared to the OEM versions. Are they more reasonable now?

When I hear resolution, I think how many cells in the fuel and or ignition map, aka 8x8 or 10x10 etc.... But anyways yeah the wide band o2 sensors are still kinda pricey, around 150ish for each wide band o2 sensor and another 150 for each module to communicate to the rapid bike. Running a single wide band is pretty reasonable, but 2 or 4 starts to get stupid expensive pretty quick. But you can usually get away with running the factory o2 sensors if you are on a budget.

Has anyone contacted Tuneboy yet?

http://www.tuneboy.com.au/

I've just emailed them.

Looks very interesting. We'll have to see what they say, but I suspect they won't be able to re-flash the VFR's ECU. Fingers crossed.

And their response:-

Thank you for your enquiry.

We do not have any support for Honda I am sorry.

I wouldn't have been entirely surprised if they had no support for the VFR1200, but to dismiss the world's largest manufacturer of motorcycles seems a little, er, short sighted. Anyway, now we know we can ignore them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My cruise control from Prez is supposed to arrive today. To say I am stoked to try this out would be a massive understatement.

Has anyone contacted Tuneboy yet?

http://www.tuneboy.com.au/

I've just emailed them.

Looks very interesting. We'll have to see what they say, but I suspect they won't be able to re-flash the VFR's ECU. Fingers crossed.

And their response:-

Thank you for your enquiry.

We do not have any support for Honda I am sorry.

I wouldn't have been entirely surprised if they had no support for the VFR1200, but to dismiss the world's largest manufacturer of motorcycles seems a little, er, short sighted. Anyway, now we know we can ignore them.

That's too bad. When I had my Hyperstrada I contacted them. They said they were going to have something early this year for it. After they did almost every other Ducati (including Panigale) they stopped and started on Yamaha's. There are LOTS of Hyperstrada owners that would kill for Electronic Cruise, just like the Multistrada people. So no Honda support equals double fail.

• Member Contributer

My cruise control from Prez is supposed to arrive today. To say I am stoked to try this out would be a massive understatement.

Please give a full report.............

• Member Contributer

Please give a full report.............

I installed the CC over the weekend. I will do a full review some time soon hopefully with video after I have used to more. I will say that it works great.

Archived