I Hate These F#$King Fairings.

marriedman

Arguably, you don't get a lot of motorcycle for the money though, do you. It's basically a bog standard bike with ABS. Every last drop of optional equipment (which most argue should be standard) is so over inflated that it becomes cringe worthy. However, I do like the bike, it just ain't for me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Arguably, you don't get a lot of motorcycle for the money though, do you. It's basically a bog standard bike with ABS. Every last drop of optional equipment (which most argue should be standard) is so over inflated that it becomes cringe worthy. However, I do like the bike, it just ain't for me.

Other than the panniers, what optional equipment are you talking about? For me, price of options doesn't impact whether the bike is for me - I factor that all in when I buy the bike...

I don't have more than 1500 miles on mine since I bought it (bought in winter of 2014 and last summer was a wash due to wife's bad injury) so I'm really looking forward to riding as much as possible this summer. I can say the more I ride it, the more I like it. On the few rides I've had in 2016 (it's cold in Chicago other than a few warm days), I can tell I'm starting to take the speed for granted, so I'll have to get on some slower bikes soon.

_Dan

• Member Contributer

Luvtoleanit said:

That front wheel drags. Always an issue with my Hondas but maybe due to ABS or something, the 1200 was worse. Much better now.

What'd you do?

Other than the panniers, what optional equipment are you talking about? For me, price of options doesn't impact whether the bike is for me - I factor that all in when I buy the bike...

I don't have more than 1500 miles on mine since I bought it (bought in winter of 2014 and last summer was a wash due to wife's bad injury) so I'm really looking forward to riding as much as possible this summer. I can say the more I ride it, the more I like it. On the few rides I've had in 2016 (it's cold in Chicago other than a few warm days), I can tell I'm starting to take the speed for granted, so I'll have to get on some slower bikes soon.

_Dan

1. Actual traction control...with....

2. Rider modes

3. Center stand as standard

4. Heated grips as standard

5. Wind deflection as default, not optional daft little bits you stick on

6. Luggage as default, not optional

7. Trip meter that gives you real time MPG

That'd be a nice start.

I'm not saying the options are a factor, the bike just ain't for me. It's a big bruiser - and that's it. There's no soul in my opinion. Power is nothing without a grin factor.

i don't want....

1) traction control

4) heated grips

5) wind deflectors (i have it, i call it my car)

6) luggage

7) 2012 model and up has real time MPG

Well, I mean, if you want to pay north of £12k (what's that in dollars...about $9 million?) and not have those, then that's your prerogative.

If you got the bike second hand for next to nothing then fair enough, but wanting to pay excess for a bike with little to no standard features, is like asking for a bag of chips and offering to pay caviar prices.

But before everyone gets butthurt that I'm not into their bike, don't worry - it's just an opinion, I love my VFR750 much more, you all may hate that version of the VFR and it's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-okaaaaaaaaaaaaay <3

• Member Contributer

For $9999 I got a whole lot of bike, more bike than what I paid. Mine makes 168 RWHP and handles better than my previous VFR's. Great chassis, great brakes, great handling, and gobs of power. I do not want TC, my right hand is my TC, even in the rain. Honda built an outstanding sport tourer, the best, so you can throw your tour outta the pram, I'm still happy and love my bike. I beat on it regularly and it asks for more. In the twisties it's a beautiful bike.

Luvtoleanit said:

That front wheel drags. Always an issue with my Hondas but maybe due to ABS or something, the 1200 was worse. Much better now.

What'd you do?

'

My mechanic said he basically took apart the calipers and cleaned them thoroughly. Now that front wheel isn't dragging nearly as much. This isn't a VFR issue though, all my Honda's over the years have had this imperfection.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to follow up on this thread. 2 things really. There must be something not right on my right side because the left side went back together so easily I did it three times thinking I was doing something wrong. Or it could just be that the radiator fill on the right side is what makes it so difficult.

Second part is that my repair of the broken boss is nice and strong. The bad news is that I must have put too much weld because it is a few millimeters too long now. The seam isn't smooth like it was and it sticks out too far for my taste. My father and wife seem to think that I am just being picky, but I know that I will be looking for a replacement right middle fairing. Or I may save up for Nice Cycle fairings.

Oh, and I still hate these fairings!

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Auron said:

I've been looking for a tutorial on youtube or a something other than the manual.  Anyone know of a good link for fairing removal and install?

This is the only video I know of for the removal:

I don't know of any that show the re-installation of them and that is where I had the problems.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Auron said:

I've been looking for a tutorial on youtube or a something other than the manual.  Anyone know of a good link for fairing removal and install?

Once you've done it a few times the process of removing/fitting the fairings is very easy.

Watch that video a few times before you attempt it.  Take caution and go very slow and methodical the first time, so you don't force the panel(s) the wrong way and break tabs.

Once you know first hand which way to pull and where all the tabs and fasteners are, it's actually very straightforward.

Didn't have much of a problem but I did break the little tiny white clip on the left side panel.  Is that what others were speaking of breaking? I'm guessing I'll need another one?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Auron said:

Will I need another before re-installing?

Not absolutely necessary but your fairing might be a little loose.  I spent about $15 extra last time I placed an order from Service Honda and got spare clips, push pins and screws for the fairing.  Just nice to have a small stock on hand.

17 hours ago, Auron said:

Didn't have much of a problem but I did break the little tiny white clip on the left side panel.  Is that what others were speaking of breaking? I'm guessing I'll need another one?

I've broken a few of those too.  I almost think Honda designed them to be the sacrificial piece to make sure the more expensive parts don't break first.

Those white pieces are cheap and are sold everywhere.  Last time I got a bulk pack off ebay I think.  First time I broken one, I needed the bike ready to ride ASAP, so I picked up a couple at the local Honda car dealership parts counter.  Yes, Honda uses the same clips in their cars too.  That's about the only time you'll catch me set foot on a Honduh car lot.

Yup, they are used in many vehicles like Volfy said. Honda, Toyota, KIA, Mitsubishi. Lat time I bought 50pcs for 15 bucks I believe but I don't recall where. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Motorcycle-Cowling-Instrument-Cover-Bar-Fairing-Snap-Clip-90666-SDA-A01-/221743670723

Like I mentioned before. Heat everything up with hair dryer - goes off much smoother.

On 3/9/2016 at 2:15 PM, 750 said:

That's what craigslist is for. If Honda is going to over-charge then I'll let someone else take the hit. Got all three of my cases for free basically, they came with the bike listed below KBB

Honda dealers will be the most convenient but charge you more.  If you are only buying 1 or 2, no big deal.  My VFR1200 is a keeper, so I expect to break a few every now and them.  For that, I prefer to buy bulk pack, either ebay or Amazon.

Got my fairings back on I'm not sure what the OP is used to, but they seem quite good to me, especially considering how well they manage heat.  So I like these F#$King fairings

Archived