Honda Single-Sided Swing Arm Bearing Carriers

JZH

Question

• Member Contributer
Oh on the bearing holders, you will find they are the same on all Honda VFR models, 400, 750, 800's etc They were also used on the NTV range & by Ducati (no we didn't steal your idea honest !) I think Triumph used them to, but can't say that for definate.

In terms of whether the axles can be swapped, this may be more or less true, but the bearing holders themselves are not necessarily swappable among all Honda SSSA-equipped models. The bearing visible in all of the photos below (91062-MR7-003) is exactly the same for all of the models mentioned below (with the possible exception of the NC24):

brgndl50x62x25_big91062MR7003-01_3758.jp

As is the double bearing (pn. 91061-ML0-731) at the other end:

bbrg-rad-ncom_big91061ML0731-01_9449.jpg

This is the bearing holder for the 5th-gen, 8th-gen, CB1000R and (2015) Crossrunner:

holder-compbrg_big42500MBG000-01_c435.jp

It measures 117mm OD and its width is 77mm (+3mm crenelated 'edge'). The RVF750 (RC45) bearing carrier had its own part number, but it had the same outer dimensions.[*] The 6th-gen VFR800 VTEC and 2011-14 Crossrunner used yet another different part number, but I think the basic dimensions were the same.

The VFR750s (3rd and 4th-gen) and NT650 (Hawk GT, Bros 650) used this:

holder-comp-bear_big42500MN8000-02_979a.

It looks exactly like the VFR800 bearing carrier in the photos, but the part number is different and it measures 107mm OD with 70mm width (+3mm crenelated 'edge'). The RC30 had a different part number, but I believe the bearing carrier had the same outer dimensions. (Note also, that the NTV 650 sold in Europe was a shaftie, and had a different axle arrangement entirely!)

The VFR400R and RVF400R (NC30 and NC35) used this:

holder-compbrg_big42500MR8000-01_8cba.jp

Which, again, looks exactly the same as the others in pictures, but isn't! This bearing carrier is also 105mm OD, but it is narrower at 60mm (+3mm crenelated 'edge').

Finally, the only other single-sided swing arm Hondas I can think of are the 1992 NR, which had it's own bearing holder part number (42500-MT7-000), but which was very likely to share its dimensions with the VFR750F and RC30 of the same era, and the VFR400R (NC24), which had its own part number, but which probably had similar dimensions as the NC30/35 bearing carrier.

[EDIT: The RC45's different part number is well deserved! Although it otherwise looks like the 5th gen carrier, it includes a prominent mounting boss on the opposite side of that shown in these pictures for (I think) the bike's non-cush drive sprocket carrier. So, definitely not interchangeable, unless you wanted to add cush drive to an RC45 or delete it from a 5th gen (and do a lot of additional work, no doubt.)]

Ciao,

6 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Nice bit of research you did there. I'm sure it'll be useful to quite a few members. Thanks for sharing.

• Member Contributer

Nice work, sorry missed this earlier. Re the NTV, cocky people on my part else where the same bike was sold as the BROS or Revere in 400/600cc versions with chain drive SSSA.

Nice bit of research you did there. I'm sure it'll be useful to quite a few members. Thanks for sharing.

It's just what he does :comp13:

Here's one he made earlier. MUCH earlier :goofy:

http://www.vsource.org/

• Member Contributer

John,

I found the old carrier from my dear departed '91 VFR750 in a box of goodies the other day. With nothing else to do while the coffee brewed I dug out my trusty calipers and did some measuring and got different numbers to you. Not sure that it matters but I always did like colouring ;-P

Lorne

holder comp bear big42500MN8000 02 979a Ed

• Member Contributer

Interesting, Lorne. I didn't actually measure any of them; I used the old BC Guy data. Oh, well!

I do have all of these parts somewhere (apart from the RC45), so I'll put measuring them on my "to do" list...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

The diameter is what I have measured, but my lengths were measured different. I did not measure the full length. I only measured from the one side up to the 'fingers' on the other side. Their thickness was not included.

Archived