Bazzazz Z-Bomb Question

• Member Contributer

I would like to try a 'de-restricted' 1200 just to see what I am clearly missing, though the inner OCD in me would struggle with the incorrect gear indicator.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to try a 'de-restricted' 1200 just to see what I am clearly missing, though the inner OCD in me would struggle with the incorrect gear indicator.

So get the reflash

• Member Contributer

That is the choice....leave as is, which is fine as far as I know, re-flash which is great but costs a lot or the Z-bomb which is cheap but leaves you with a spong'd gear indicator & unknown (to me) advantages in gears 1/2.

So a test ride would be of great value.

Chanmenie, thanks for the offer m8, I may well take you up on it but I wont be back in the country until May at the earliest. :beer:

Chanmenie, thanks for the offer m8, I may well take you up on it but I wont be back in the country until May at the earliest. :beer:

Well that gives me plenty of time to finish running it in and fitting the Z Bomb then

Mine's en route from the States now. I'll bring the bike out of hiding once it's here...I'm not riding it with that bullshit restriction in place, I need overtaking power.

• Member Contributer

...I need overtaking power.

What, you don't think it overtakes quickly enough now? :wacko:

• Member Contributer

if one doesnot know the benefit of a quick downshift, the DCT version may be the better option :goofy:

...I need overtaking power.

What, you don't think it overtakes quickly enough now? :wacko:

if one doesnot know the benefit of a quick downshift, the DCT version may be the better option :goofy:

Don't be a pair of dozy bastards, it doesn't suit you.

When you have a nigh on 40bhp drop RIGHT in the middle of first and second (which filtering in London, believe it or not, is where you spend most of your time), overtaking goes from a pleasure to an exercise in dangerous futility.

Dutchy, not being funny mate, but what the feck would you know about it? Have you got a 1200? You seem to chime in on a lot of stuff you presumably have no experience in. I can whizz past any vehicle all day on my 750, as you can, as there's no power restrictions.

• Member Contributer

Johny, in case you have not noticed, we tend not to call each other bastards here on VFRD.

Since you asked, I have been riding the 1200 when it came out, the regular, the DCT and the Xtourer.

I did the same 2 years later on the 1200 and DCT... so yeah, I believe I know what I'm talking about.

But that seems not to be the issue here, more you getting your blood pressure up if whatever you state gets a ? from anyone.

What's next? Threatening to leave VFRD, then leave, but still come back? We had a few of those over the years.

If you bought the 1200 to filter through traffic in 1st or 2nd, you bought the wrong bike. Bulk for starters...

But no, you bought it because it was cheap, could not resist "the steal" and now slag it for not being a supermotard?

If you have a problem with my posts, simply use the tools available to you to stop seeing posts from me.

Or call me a fecking ignorant cloggy B... at your pleasure.

I only care for what my friends here at VFRD call me.

• Member Contributer

John, always difficult to pick up from the keyboard whether someone is tongue-in-cheek or serious.

Perhaps I haven't ridden my 1200 enough or don't ride it where a 40bhp loss is significant, but I can honestly say I have not noticed any issues so far. Hence my interest in riding a 1200 that has the Z-bomb mod or ECU re-flash.

Best wishes with your mod, I hope it does what you want it to.

Tongue in cheek, always tongue in cheek.

Riding on the open road, the bike would be fine. In London traffic where I (unfortunately) spend about 95% of my riding time... it's dangerous, literally.

If the dip wasn't so instant and in the wrong place, I'd have no issue with it - unfortunately it's right where it matters for quick overtake filtering. I never have and never will be the type of rider to sit behind other vehicles, if there's a gap and my experience tells me I can make it, I'll go for it. The 1200 wouldn't give me that ability in it's current state.

I'll let you know what it's like with a Zbomb. TBH I know it'll be fine as the dyno charts show that it removes the dip in power and that's all that matters. I'm due to properly start using the bike on my commute from next week, hoping the Zbomb turns up or my commute will be considerably longer than usual, as I won't be risking my usual overtake stunts without the Zbomb in place.

A) But that seems not to be the issue here, more you getting your blood pressure up if whatever you state gets a ? from anyone.

B) If you bought the 1200 to filter through traffic in 1st or 2nd, you bought the wrong bike. Bulk for starters...

But no, you bought it because it was cheap, could not resist "the steal" and now slag it for not being a supermotard?

c) If you have a problem with my posts, simply use the tools available to you to stop seeing posts from me.

Or call me a fecking ignorant cloggy B... at your pleasure.

I only care for what my friends here at VFRD call me.

A) haha, the irony.

B) Don't tell me what bike is and isn't right for filtering. Again, you know feck all about it. You don't live in London and you have NO idea about my riding style or abilities. I throw a 750 around and it's only a smidge lighter than the 1200 and considerably less well laid out.

C) Grow a pair will ya. There's only one person getting in a flap around here ;)

Your experiences on a 1200 are irrelevant, I've ridden all over the shop and NOWHERE is like London for wall to wall traffic and bikers filtering, it's incredibly unique. I'll also slate the bike all I want, it's mine and I can. I'm voicing an opinion on something I'm directly affected by, in a town that I have lived in for years, on a bike that I physically own. Whereas you're just typically chiming in with little to no experience. Calm down old boy, you're getting too long in the tooth to be getting your blood pressure up like this.

fight nice kiddies !!!!!!!..........i didn't buy my VFR1200s for traffic filtering either.....that doesn't mean that i don't end up in those situations....i felt the same way about the stock bike.....that it was dangerous in slow speed traffic situations.....after the reflash, it's fun to ride it in NYC

John, always difficult to pick up from the keyboard whether someone is tongue-in-cheek or serious.

Perhaps I haven't ridden my 1200 enough or don't ride it where a 40bhp loss is significant, but I can honestly say I have not noticed any issues so far. Hence my interest in riding a 1200 that has the Z-bomb mod or ECU re-flash.

Skids next time you ride your bike pin the throttle in second from low revs , then do the same in third you'll feel the difference. Especially with a pillion on board.

• Member Contributer

Skids next time you ride your bike pin the throttle in second from low revs , then do the same in third you'll feel the difference. Especially with a pillion on board.

Remind me in May. :sad::sad:

Can it really be true that the standard Viffer 1200 is dangerous to ride in traffic? I don't think so. Mine's standard, engine wise, other than having a DAM fitted, it is absolutely fine in all situations and accelerates wonderfully (when you're in the right gear) making overtakes an absolute joy. It's ample for the UK's roads IMO.

I mean, people ride cycles and mopeds in our cities and they still filter ;-)

if you're happy with the bike, by all means, leave it the way it is.....for those who want to enjoy the bike's full potential, do the reflash....in my 40+ years of modifying bikes, nothing has come anywhere close to the bang for the buck of the Guhl reflash

Can it really be true that the standard Viffer 1200 is dangerous to ride in traffic? I don't think so. Mine's standard, engine wise, other than having a DAM fitted, it is absolutely fine in all situations and accelerates wonderfully (when you're in the right gear) making overtakes an absolute joy. It's ample for the UK's roads IMO.

I mean, people ride cycles and mopeds in our cities and they still filter ;-)

You're out by Cambridge, I go out there with my friends to hoon around and get above 2nd gear.

Again, that's not city riding...London is it's own beast, I've managed 4th gear about 5 times in my entire time riding here, it's fucking awful. You'd think the congestion charge would put people off....clearly not.

Just to add, I live 4 miles outside the City, and I mean the City...not some pretend part of London that's just a suburb. My commute is wall to wall traffic, buses, cyclists, wobbly fair weather riders during the summer, tossers on GS's that insist on commuting in on their GS1200's with ALL the luggage attached so you can't get past them properly in heavy traffic, people walking across the road while tweeting some celebrity nonsense, and that's just trying to get off Fenchurch Street....the list is endless.

Can it really be true that the standard Viffer 1200 is dangerous to ride in traffic? I don't think so. Mine's standard, engine wise, other than having a DAM fitted, it is absolutely fine in all situations and accelerates wonderfully (when you're in the right gear) making overtakes an absolute joy. It's ample for the UK's roads IMO.I mean, people ride cycles and mopeds in our cities and they still filter ;-)

You're out by Cambridge, I go out there with my friends to hoon around and get above 2nd gear.Again, that's not city riding...London is it's own beast, I've managed 4th gear about 5 times in my entire time riding here, it's fucking awful. You'd think the congestion charge would put people off....clearly not.Just to add, I live 4 miles outside the City, and I mean the City...not some pretend part of London that's just a suburb. My commute is wall to wall traffic, buses, cyclists, wobbly fair weather riders during the summer, tossers on GS's that insist on commuting in on their GS1200's with ALL the luggage attached so you can't get past them properly in heavy traffic, people walking across the road while tweeting some celebrity nonsense, and that's just trying to get off Fenchurch Street....the list is endless.
Yes, I only ride it round here ;-)

Each to his own. Hope you enjoy the bike. I just find it's fine for making good progress on the UK's roads as it is. It's not the power, it's how you use it!! :-)

Archived